Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
wow a kA-charger! hafta get one for my Tesla too...
I'm sure those electrons will penetrate any tablet, car or phone very efficiently.

On a more constructive note, including charger or not with electronics is a cultural thing. Yes, you read it right There is at least Japan that hasn't been including chargers with mobile phones for years, even chargers with proprietary connectors. I used to think that that was unfair, but now that we pretty much have USB standardised for this matter (wink, wink, Apple), getting a charger in your favourite shape, intensity and number of ports should really be a personal matter.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
There seems to be solution for us who demand rapid actions:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQDKligUsAAJNbg.jpg

And it's even multi-voltage, so that should get you from 130 kW up to 240 kW!

Only thing rapid about that is how fast it will find the bin!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA

Wow. To quote my old high school physics teacher: "Now a Coulomb is a lot of charge. If someone tries to give you a Coulomb, you should probably give it back."

As for a charger for my (long awaited) jPad -- ya, I'm gonna go with that name to amuse and confuse my friends -- the only high capacity charger I already possess is in my car. I wouldn't even have that if my wife hadn't got it as a tchotchke from her old school when she attended a continuing education course. At least gasoline prices are low for now . . .

And I'm still wondering just what if anything I'll have to pay for import duty in the US. Reading the US Customs Service website is not an exercise for the amateur. Depending on how they value it, I might not pay anything . . . or I might end up writing a big check to the letter carrier or delivery driver. At least I've got plenty of time to save up the money.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sorta surprised that the charger part is a complaint. I'm personally happy that it's not included - I have too many chargers that have gone unused from prior tablet purchases. They're almost all 1.8A or higher, where I'll probably settle for a 2.1A charger that was left unused from a prior tablet purchase.

But with that resolved by that kA charger (hehe) and the crowdfunding portion of this endeavor demystified - what will you guys really do with your tablet?

I'm... honestly clueless as to my own uses and curious as to your planned usage.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sorta surprised that the charger part is a complaint. I'm personally happy that it's not included - I have too many chargers that have gone unused from prior tablet purchases. They're almost all 1.8A or higher, where I'll probably settle for a 2.1A charger that was left unused from a prior tablet purchase.

But with that resolved by that kA charger (hehe) and the crowdfunding portion of this endeavor demystified - what will you guys really do with your tablet?

I'm... honestly clueless as to my own uses and curious as to your planned usage.
I was gonna use it on holiday this summer... not now, I have another holiday next week , but I don't think it will arrive for that.

Edit...
I'm also confused as to why I upgraded to 64gb, I have no plans to put anything on it, and it has an sd card anyway!

So I guess my only use is on planes!

I needed you around when I ordered it... "now... do you really need it"

Last edited by tommo; 2015-09-30 at 14:56. Reason: drunk

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

My old laptop used for work and personal, is now not up to the task of video and image processing so I'm migrating everything from it to my desktop system. That will be my main computer. As it's not in an ideal location for ad-hoc browsing etc. and as I find phone sized screens limiting for certain stuff, the tablet will fill the portability hole left by the laptop, which will be migrated to either be used as a server or given to the kids to use, or given away.

So: heavy lift (desktop) -> round house and travel (tablet) -> everywhere (phone)

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
You can still use a 1A one and charge at a slower rate?
It's better for the battery anyway.

Seriously, who cares if it charges in 3 hours or 6? Either of them just translate to "overnight".

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It's better for the battery anyway.

Seriously, who cares if it charges in 3 hours or 6? Either of them just translate to "overnight".
Not so good if you are using it plugged in, and its draining faster than its charging

Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Not so good if you are using it plugged in, and its draining faster than its charging
I'd imagine that the tablet will discharge faster than a 1A charger can charge it... remember that Jolla was using it a full day without charging. Well, if you are using the tablet to process signals picked up from space to figure out if there is something out there, maybe a 2A won't be enough either :P

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund