Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
They did not specify the charger they used thou...
Since non is included, maybe they hooked it up to a 1A phonecharger instead of a 2A suitable for >4000mah batteries?

I believe nothing regarding chargetimes until i hooked it up my 5 port 40W Anker charger :P
And there's the best reason to include an appropriate charger in the package. Especially if it's a loaner to a reviewer -- so you can control the horizontal and the vertical.

First one to get? Wonder what is the OS version?

https://twitter.com/chc_yabush/statu...99804282028032
https://twitter.com/chc_yabush/statu...07766354436096

edit: and many more pictures:

https://twitter.com/chc_yabush

Last edited by MisterMaster; 2015-10-08 at 13:21.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If you guys are going apeshit over a charger, this news will perhaps go thermonuclear: https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-...ant-news-helm/

Seriously, take $5, 5 Euro and buy a proper charger. If you don't know that a tablet requires 2.0A or higher, then you don't need a tablet. I remember when Apple was getting away with charging folks in the EU crazy amounts more for their computers because of the myriad of plugs, voltage support, et al.

Whining over it is just childish. Most of you guys have had a tablet at least once, if not, welcome to your first one. Now get a proper charger.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
If you guys are going apeshit over a charger, this news will perhaps go thermonuclear: https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-tablet-...ant-news-helm/

Seriously, take $5, 5 Euro and buy a proper charger. If you don't know that a tablet requires 2.0A or higher, then you don't need a tablet. I remember when Apple was getting away with charging folks in the EU crazy amounts more for their computers because of the myriad of plugs, voltage support, et al.

Whining over it is just childish. Most of you guys have had a tablet at least once, if not, welcome to your first one. Now get a proper charger.
I don't personally give a rats *** about charger, nor service. When it dies, it dies. But average Joe does.

That blog is possibly one of the most honest ever. Respect for that. I can wait a month more. Or two.

Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
First one to get? Wonder what is the OS version?
The OS update prompt he posted 30 minutes ago says 1.1.9.28 ... so evidently 1.2.x has been delayed long enough that they abandoned their intention to launch with it.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I don't personally give a rats *** about charger, nor service. When it dies, it dies. But average Joe does.

That blog is possibly one of the most honest ever. Respect for that. I can wait a month more. Or two.
My sentiment exactly. That's about as earnest of a communication from Jolla as I've seen thus far; and it works. It's honestly hard to argue fact or humility - but I've seen both done in these parts.

The charger debacle, I have had multiple chargers never used, still in the box from prior tablet purchases and/or test devices. I have a beefier charger I purchased that I like that does what I need.

Back to the communication - this kind of communication works. If I have questions, it seems as if there's a channel if I don't accept the information in front of me or if I have questions.

Now... let the unnecessary bitching commence...

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
I highly doubt they'll meet that (again) revised schedule.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I highly doubt they'll meet that (again) revised schedule.
I disagree; this time, they've finally gotten a full end-to-end build and delivery of the final version of the tablet to actual end-users. So they now have concrete data upon which to base their schedule. My guess is that they'll now be able to get the parts they need to the factory in time to meet their production windows (something that is extremely important to get right when using "Just In Time" manufacturing, as they seem to be doing).

Plus, Golden Week is now finally over.

Odds are good that this schedule is going to be pretty close to reality.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
First tablet to arrive --> http://reviewjolla.blogspot.se/2015/...stination.html

I don't understand this:
First wave, second wave, final wave?

First wave --> first IGG campaign
Second wave --> after reopen IGG
Final wave -->the rest

if first wave is only the few with invite now. we are ****ed aka the schedule is totally ****ed

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-10-08 at 15:16.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I disagree; this time, they've finally gotten a full end-to-end build and delivery of the final version of the tablet to actual end-users. So they now have concrete data upon which to base their schedule. My guess is that they'll now be able to get the parts they need to the factory in time to meet their production windows (something that is extremely important to get right when using "Just In Time" manufacturing, as they seem to be doing).

Plus, Golden Week is now finally over.

Odds are good that this schedule is going to be pretty close to reality.
They've had final hardware for nearly 2 months now.

They had to wait for software to catch up. It did, sort of. 1.2.x obviously got more delayed, so they're launching with 1.1.9.28 instead.

Now they have to wait again for more than a handful of hardware.

As I hinted at last year, aside from numerous other reasons, going with Intel for the tablet, as a small player and using a tiny OEM is so self-defeating, even if the Intel chips and platform are hugely subsidised and Intel helped them financially too ...

The reason availability is so patchy on things like the Nokia tablet (and all its Intel ilk) is that very, very few SoCs are produced by Intel compared with practically any ARM alternative SKU. There are frequently months between manufacturing runs of the tablets, despite reasonably solid demand for some of them. Even if Intel suddenly started pumping out more of the Atom tablet chips (which they won't), that wouldn't help as it'd catch RockChip out (the Chinese partner that makes all the motherboards for the platform). Availability has improved, but Jolla and their OEM are likely rock bottom on the list of priority for inventory. Then there's the fact that if there are any delays to other component batches or faults, the small OEM they use probably doesn't have the resources or wherewithall to fix that quickly.

Even if the Jolla Tablet got rave reviews and 10s of thousands of people wanted to buy them, the chances of Jolla ever being able to meet more than a fraction of that demand are practically nil. But at least there's no chance of a repeat of the disaster with the Jolla Phone, where they've had inventory of their last manufacturing run for more than 18 months now.

The whole thing has been (another) gigantic waste of time and resources.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund