Posts: 65 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Cagliari, Italy
as I posted before, I'm still facing problem with the download.....it s stll stuck at the beginning of the download,then it starts again. A pop up message appears,telling me that there is un unsolvable problem with the Store.....
Any clue about that?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Also they're making workflow even slower again and the UX even more inconsistent and confused. Why on Cyanogenmod / Android can I just swipe down from status bar at any time for quick settings and settings app. Swipe to notifications, swipe down, very limited toggles, swipe back to home screen, select settings (now hugely diminished in quickness of use). Then a load more taps to even adjust brightness. It's absolutely awful and keeps getting worse.

Glad I've now moved over to my N5 (CM).
Mostly agree.

Shortcuts in the events view is the wrong place to put them. But rather than swiping down to get them from anywhere I'd rather you just tapped the title bar like on the N9. That left swiping down to close as now.

I find the Android 5.x pull down for settings and notifications immensely frustrating.

You pull it down and it shows a fatter status bar with LESS info in than the default. Below that a pile of card based notifications. More often than not, doing this wakes up some app in the background which pops a card right over the top of the status bar.

You then swipe down again to get shortcuts and it adds in a tiny-tiny cog into the status bar to access all settings. That's if it doesn't just bounce back and close on you already. Grrr.

IME 4.x wasn't that bad.

On Sailfish, I noticed that one of the shortcuts I'd like to add is a shortcut to the entire settings app. It's not there.

And if you tap on the mobile data icon in shortcuts, with no SIM card in, the icon will keep on flashing indefinitely rather than time out and/or give an error. I only tapped on it to try and work out what the cryptic icon with no text label was.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by requiem_76 View Post
as I posted before, I'm still facing problem with the download.....it s stll stuck at the beginning of the download,then it starts again. A pop up message appears,telling me that there is un unsolvable problem with the Store.....
Any clue about that?
I read in IRC that that may be due to network time outs. It doesn't start again, that appears to be a problem with the progress bar - it continues from where it left. I'd be a bit more patient, especially as a lot of people may be updating, factory resetting, updating again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
You can set up accounts, but not edit the setup afterwards.
Admittedly the only accounts I have are the Jolla account and 6 email accounts but I can edit all of them just fine. Tap on the account in Settings and off you go for the basic things. For the rest, pull down the menu to "Server settings". Not the most intuitive thing in the world but does the job.

Can't comment on Cal* as I do not use any but all the rest are valid points.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Seems like you're not familiar how iOS and any Android device out there handles the lockscreen...
Not that it matters, but no. I take a certain pride in noting that I've never even physically touched an iOS device

My wife has an S3 mini, which I sort of "maintain" (which makes me feel pretty akward -- I really dislike Android), but she doesn't have a lock code.

Jolla could implement this feature by adding it through the pulley menu
I would vote against it. The device is locked or the device is not locked. Any exception is not only (IMHO) non-sensical but also a security risk. Even not even Apple can get a complicated lock screen system right then I want mine (Jolla's) to be as simple as possible.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
...is a very valid point. I suspect the main reason we don't have that is the masses who would start shouting how bad it is because "it looks like Android".
I think it's just your Android paranoia, since I've seen you posting this same comment at least 5x

I think it is generally bad to take something from a different system without thinking it through. And that's not just Android, but also Harmattan or other systems. One fine example is SailfishOS 2.0 - in 1.0, you would just swipe upwards and have all of your events available (and controls with a patch - there's no reason why Jolla couldn't implement it exactly like that) while still being one swipe away from the app you were using.

Then some people shouted how Harmattan was great with its status bar and carousel (which was great, I don't disagree with that, but it was a different system), so they implemented some of that...

Now the system is a hybrid where you have a tiny status bar (I am really glad I have TOHOLED, since checking the time in the OS is quite painful in v2.0), Harmattan-like carousel that prevents you from easily going back to the app you were using before checking the Events view, weird gestures like "swipe left, then up, click a switch, swipe bottom, swipe right, tap the app cover" and overall inconsistency.

That's what you get when you listen to particular requests without a strong design leadership.

• Harmattan was a great system with its own logic (even if it didn't suite everyone).
  • Sailfish 1.0 was a great system with its own logic (even if it didn't suit everyone).
  • iOS & Blackberry 10 are great systems with their own logic (even if it may not suit everyone).
  • Android is an established system with its own logic. The only reason why I don't call it great is that I think they made some very poor design choices, like putting some important controls (like the swipe down status bar or app headers) at the top, making it impossible to use with one hand. That's also the reason why I don't want some UI things to be inspired by Android - not because "it's Android", but because I think that good UI is something that Android severely lacks. But people use it, even though I often see Android users struggle with it as well - but there's little to no alternative, so they just put up with it.

Anyways, systems have their own logic and paradigms that work well for their use case. But if you try to put different features from different systems without thinking, it will likely end up in a mess. The fact that some other system has some good feature does not necessarily mean you can just take it and put it in your specific design flow.

EDIT: Not to just trash Android - it has a very nice widget area. But you can't just take it and put it in SailfishOS as it is.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-10-23 at 14:54.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I think it's just your Android paranoia, since I've seen you posting this same comment at least 5x
I would argue that it is their paranoia. I may have pointed it out 5x in my whole life but try counting the "too Android-like", "not unlike", bla bla bla moaning in any single random thread on TJC

The rest of your post is 100% true. I agree that SFOS 2.0 has lost some of the consistency of SFOS 1.0. No arguing against that. I would argue though that what it has lost in consistency it gained in usability so it is on the right path, even if not quite there yet.

I would also argue that things like memory management, global cut&paste and 200+ bugs and missing features reported on TJC are more important but Jolla seems more inclined to fiddle with the UI (OK, they seem to have fixed some OOM issues now, kudos to them).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Seems like you're not familiar how iOS and any Android device out there handles the lockscreen...
It can of course be done, however it's also something that increases the possibility of bypassing the lock code, like happened with Android not so long ago:

http://sites.utexas.edu/iso/2015/09/...screen-bypass/

Is it relevant source of concern, that I guess depends on who you ask.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would argue that it is their paranoia. I may have pointed it out 5x in my whole life but try counting the "too Android-like", "not unlike", bla bla bla moaning in any single random thread on TJC

The rest of your post is 100% true. I agree that SFOS 2.0 has lost some of the consistency of SFOS 1.0. No arguing against that. I would argue though that what it has lost in consistency it gained in usability so it is on the right path, even if not quite there yet.

I would also argue that things like memory management, global cut&paste and 200+ bugs and missing features reported on TJC are more important but Jolla seems more inclined to fiddle with the UI (OK, they seem to have fixed some OOM issues now, kudos to them).
Indeed, way to many resources have gone into the UI changes that are 2 step forward one step back. Hopefully it will pay of in the big plan picture some how. I am more excited about Fairphone working with Sailfish OS than I am about the Sailfish 2.0 for the moment.

Considering peek feature one of the most beautiful showcase and useful parts of Sailfish it is strange that this hasn't been fixed yet in 2.0.0.10:

https://together.jolla.com/question/...e-running-app/

2.0.0.10 OOM behavior has clearly improved but also in that field things went from ok to worse to ok again.
If Jolla was to fix the big UI inconsistencies nodevel and other people are describing in a nicely detailed way things could get back on track towards implementing usability features and spoils we knew back on Maemo / Harmattan.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Also they're making workflow even slower again and the UX even more inconsistent and confused. Why on Cyanogenmod / Android can I just swipe down from status bar at any time for quick settings and settings app. Swipe to notifications, swipe down, very limited toggles, swipe back to home screen, select settings (now hugely diminished in quickness of use). Then a load more taps to even adjust brightness. It's absolutely awful and keeps getting worse.

Glad I've now moved over to my N5 (CM).
example i find better this flow that you have described about notification and toggles. i find them very consistent, so de gustibus..
only thing i miss is settings shortut in toggles

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post: