Active Topics

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I wasn't, I am aware of the illusion of open-source that heals all problems as suddenly thousands of people work for you for free, no backdoors, no bugs, no, open source heals all wounds for free.
Er, what? If you want thousands of coders working full time for you, you should be using Apple or Google products. The advantage of Open Source is not that there are more man-hours going into the project; the advantage is that you, yourself, have access to the code.

You think that Open Source means thousands of people work for you for free? Man, you really do have some strange illusions. Open Source means that thousands of people can work on this code for themselves. If their work is pleasing to you, that's great, but you've got no room to complain if you aren't doing any work yourself.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Er, what? If you want thousands of coders working full time for you,..., but you've got no room to complain if you aren't doing any work yourself.
No! I want that uber-shield that open sourcing gives against hacking and spying, it's the only solution. Oh wait, there just recently was audit of open source solution that found nothing: TrueCrypt

The interesting questions revolve around the audit [istruecryptauditedyet.com]:
- Should this have been caught in the audit?
yes, the paid-for source audit specifically included looking for "Windows kernel driver ... elevation of privilege".
report [opencryptoaudit.org], pg. 10.
- Why wasn't it?

It's clear that not everything will be caught in a time/money/person-limited audit. Nevertheless, finding bugs that ought to have been caught places the rest of the audit's findings in doubt.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
TrueCrypt
I'm not sure why anyone should use TrueCrypt over tried-and-widely-used encryption solutions such as LUKS. Especially given the overall weird governance of the project, weird custom license and questionable demise of the original developers.

I guess working with existing volumes and cross platform support is about the only applicable excuse, but even that should be moot once the various cross platform TrueCrypt replacements mature enough.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
actions and toggles came at the same time for me... some weeks ago can't say exactly
They came with this or this patch. Now they are there by default.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Open Source means that thousands of people can work on this code for themselves. If their work is pleasing to you, that's great, but you've got no room to complain if you aren't doing any work yourself.
Oh man, if I had a penny for every time I hear that "argument". If you do not co tribute, do not dare to point out faults. Put up or shut up. This is exactly the kind of arrogance that is the reason Open Source will never make a hole in the world.

Closer to home, Sailfish Browser may be Open Source but it is also a product. I am also a programmer. I drive an hour to get to work, then spend 9 hours working my arse off, then another hour driving back. I spend some of the money I get from that activity to purchase a product. I expect that product to work, I do not want to spend another 9 hours patching it, even though I may have the capability.

There are certain standards my superiors expect from my work. I have every right to expect similar standards from from other people's work, Open Source or not.

And before you pounce on me, I have contributed to some Open Source projects. I even got punished for that, when I was unemployed and the Job Centre stopped my dole payments because they considered that contribution work, ergo income. But the last thing I would tell to the users of my code finding bugs in it is, "fsck you, the code is there, fix it yourself!"

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
yes but there was also possibility to set toogles like utility, android support, locking orientation etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
yes but there was also possibility to set toogles like utility, android support, locking orientation etc?
you can set them in settings -> events

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
First thing in Saimaa that got "wow that looks nice" effect for me was new interface that comes up when you connect your phone to PC

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mikkosssss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mikkosssss View Post
First thing in Saimaa that got "wow that looks nice" effect for me was new interface that comes up when you connect your phone to PC
I am too lazy to check myself now. Is USB tethering enabled in the UI. I guess not?

The Following User Says Thank You to MisterMaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Install new package interface also changed (but only in color

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post: