Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Great video

P.S., that music... my girlfriend was asking why I was listening to "I'm a little teapot"! LOL
Yes, the music was not "I'm a little teapot" but theme music from the Jeopardy tv game show! lol

Last edited by mscion; 2015-10-30 at 02:37.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
As I looked at the three versions of sailfish in the video, It occurred to me that it would nice if the background of the app tray, instead of just being black, could be linked to the ambience.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Or you can install the patch in the repos that makes it semi-transparent

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Or you can install the patch in the repos that makes it semi-transparent
Hi Bundyo. Any chance you can provide a screen shot of how it looks? Thanks!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I love the ambiguity in your post. Did you mean less or fewer?
I'll leave that ambiguity hanging.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
I don't really know what to think of this Sailfish OS version 2.

It looks like the UI team didn't solve the problems of the version 1, but replaced them with others, so it is difficult to compare. But generally I find it "working" (as in I can still do things with it), but more painfully.

I could take a lot of examples, but will limit here to a few.

Quick app shortcuts:
* SF1 : lockscreen was almost empty and not that useful, but you could get back here at any time to use the pulley menu for the quick actions, and you also had a row of icons at the bottom of the homescreen to launch app.
* SF2 : lockscreen looks better, but once you switch to homescreen you cannot get back the pulley menu with the quick actions, and the row of icons has also disappeared. Only way to start an app is now to pull the full app grid, and find in this mess the one you need.

Events view:
* SF1 : events view was missing a lot of things, but was always reachable from a bottom swipe, and as an overlay on the screen, so without needing to exit the current application. Some patches were needed to add options toggles to make it even faster to use (like to activate GPS or bluetooth while not exiting the app that needs them)
* SF2 : events view is now a lot useful, but not reachable directly (I activated the left swipe to reach it, but it is a pain when I happen to use the device with left hand). So checking something needs you to go back to homescreen then events view (or directly events view with left swipe), then get back to homescreen, try to find in which app you were before and click it to be back.

Indicators & time:
* SF1 : indicators and time were spreaded between homescreen and lockscreen and peaking, meaning you never really had everything visible at the same time. However they were using a big font and big icons to be readable. Peaking was nice as it was progressive, and a really small peaking movement was already showng all. The settings app was a quick fix, as it was showing what options were active, but this needed to have it always open.
* SF2 : now they are not spread between several screen, and are always visible, but they are so small, I had the hotspot draining the battery a whole day before noticing (Had it not drained battery, it still would be on). The settings app can not be used as a fix, as its cover now doesn't show anything. Also the peaking now has a threshold, needing a bigger movement to start to see the indicators.

Covers:
* SF1 : I'll like that and at the same time didn't... It was nice to use, but the small size of the cover meant nothing meaningful was really possible to show (like in messages, you have the two first words, which are usually "hi there"). The cover actions were limited (like refreshing a tweet feed, were you need to enter the app then, as the cover can't tell you much), but it was easy to use and not prone to mistake.
* SF2 : Now for most of the app it is even less useful: there is nothing show at all in the settings app. The clock app now shows the time with an analog clock (as it is now too small to read the status bar I think), so that only one alarm is shown, not several of them as before. The swipe cover have been replaced by small buttons, easy to miss but easy to trigger by error.

Sound :
* SF1: You could set the ring volume in ambiances. You configure it once, and then at any time, looking at the color of the phone you knew which was the ring volume. A quick switch in pulley menu of lockscreen allowed for complete mute. Volume rocker was used for apps volume. All easy to use
* SF2 : Everything is mixed : Volume rocker is used for ring volume, except if you have a music player running, as it would then be used for app volume, and ring volume can't be changed anymore, unless changing ambiance, or closing the app...
I got my phone this afternoon in mute (I must have pressed the rocker thinking a music app was running and it was not) while playing some music. I had no way to get back to the real volume except switching ambiances... This is really disturbing, and was working really well in SF1 with the ambiance principle. Now ambiances are only a wallpaper.

I could go on...

There are obviously good things coming with this version. But from a pure usability point of view, it looks like we are replacing the shortcoming of the first version with other limitations, and going further away from the vision depicted by Marc Dillon and Jaakko Roppola in the old speeches, about why buttons and status bar needed to go, and how it was faster to use it in a consistent swiping UI.
On some points, the UI of Symbian Belle of my old N8 is more efficient in daily use, did it have swiping for multitasking (and less bugs, but that is another problem).

After one year of daily use of my Jolla, I still like its interface better than android's, but I don't see the point were it will be really as painless to use as I expected will listening to old speeches.

We'll see how Jolla will respond to the threads in TJC about all those points (keeping in mind that there will always be some things that annoy some people and not others, me included).

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
I have spent only a little time playing with Sailfish V2.0 on my Jolla, but I think I rather like it.

The 1.7 upgrade originally crashed on my Jolla, and since then the phone has been so unstable as to be useless. V2.0 does seem to have sorted that out, I haven't seen apps crashing without prompting, or the phone rebooting randomly.

Sadly, for some reason I cant set the ringer volume to any kind of useful level. Seriously, I struggle to hear it ringing 2m away in a normal room. In my bag, or the car, not a chance.
Even doing the 200% volume hack doesn't make it useable.

Maybe it's a hardware problem that just struck at a bad time, but I don't really feel like wasting any more hours trying to sort it out.

That means that if Jolla ever do send me my tablet, it'll likely go straight on ebay.

I have a Ubuntu MX4. Love the hardware, but the OS is more irritating when it's working that my Jolla is when it's rebooting.
(Please, somebody, somewhere, hack it to run Jolla !!)

Seriously wondering if there's a phone out there I won't hate within a week. I think I'll dust off one of my N900s and keep a hold on my cash and my sanity.

Rant over.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi Bundyo. Any chance you can provide a screen shot of how it looks? Thanks!
Here (tablet one):
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Love it! Thanks!

Does anyone of saimaa early adopters see a massive slowdown in android app opening ? Any of my droid apps takes minimum 8sec. to start. It's ridiculous considering that even the smalest apps, normaly starting in <1 ; 1-2 sec now launches even longer than the most heavy ones.