Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Well, the US bailed out Wall Street and the Automotive industry. They are doing great now. Jolla should consider moving its main offices to Washington DC...
DC? So... strippers and cocaine and corruption? Hell, that actually sounds interesting!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, without the complete source code this would not be simple to carry on.

Still, worst case, maybe we can pull a Blender ?

Eq. the community could buy the (otherwise useless) source code from the creditors like the Blender project did.

They might be more willing to cooperate than existing companies that just kept hold to it forever for no good reason (like what happened with source code for the Fremantle and Harmattan closed components).

EDIT:
Looks like romu beat me with the Blender idea.
The majority of the source is open

The community can build what they want on top of it. Either make a push for Hildenesque UI or see were Glacier UI goes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
The majority of the source is open
Yes, but the added value of sailfish is not gstreamer, wayland, rpm, Qt or the glibc, that you can find in any other distribution , but the Sailfish UX and silica UI...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Yes, but the added value of sailfish is not gstreamer, wayland, rpm, Qt or the glibc, that you can find in any other distribution , but the Sailfish UX and silica UI...
Yes, but the added value of the Sailfish UX and Silica UI was created specifically to derive a profit from a product based on those open-source elements you can find in any other distribution. It drives me kind of crazy that open-source folks are so intensely interested in closed-source software, but seem to have no interest at all in open alternatives (e.g., Nemo)...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Well, the US bailed out Wall Street and the Automotive industry.
Yes, I know. Exactly the same thing happened in the UK. And it is exactly why I say, no bailouts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, I know. Exactly the same thing happened in the UK. And it is exactly why I say, no bailouts.
Yes but you omitted my next sentence which states that things worked out well overall. What happened in UK?

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Yes but you omitted my next sentence which states that things worked out well overall.
Really? Rather than a short, sharp correction, we've had a long, painful recession. And I'm not personally sure that we won't face another correction, as many of the organizations and policies that drove us off the cliff the first time are still around.

(And really, "too big to fail"? If any entity actually is too big to fail, it should never have been in the private sector to begin with...)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Yes but you omitted my next sentence which states that things worked out well overall. What happened in UK?
Yes, I omitted it deliberately because things did not turn out as rosy as you and they paint. Copernicus has already addressed the important stuff, all I can do is add some random rant.

What do you think will happen when someone receives some money he did not deserve? You do not need to think hard to answer that: he will squander it. We see that all the time with lottery winners or with spoilt children with 145 toys who receive a 146th. Something that does not cost you anything to get is not worth anything, simple as that.

What happened in the UK? The banks received a hefty bailout from the taxpayer's money. Money the government did not have in the first place, thus plunging the country into an even deeper deficit than before. Did it teach the bank any humility? Did they use the money wisely? No, the first thing they did was to use it for huge bonuses for the top managers. Yes, the very people who got us into the mess in the first place were, instead of being punished, rewarded with my money. And it did not stop there. The banks, instead of humbly bowing to the public and thanking them for the bailout, only grew in arrogance and showed the public the middle finger.

In other words, the bailout was a complete misfire.

I do not believe that bailing out Jolla would achieve anything different. Their top management has already a proven history of arrogant behaviour, ignoring the public and its own community, not to mention wasting money including spending money that was meant for X on Y (just ask Dave999 and his favourite tablet).

If a company lives and prospers, it's because it deserves to live and prosper. If it dies, it's because it deserves to die. A bailout does not change that.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, I omitted it deliberately because things did not turn out as rosy as you and they paint. Copernicus has already addressed the important stuff, all I can do is add some random rant
False equivalence, Jolla is not some uneducated white trash lottery winner, nor are they a big bank (letting big banks fail is problematic for a great many reasons, which is outside the scope of this thread).

Jolla exists purely on Investment funds, you can decide whether that fits into your notion of 'deserve' or not, and since we don't have much in the way of accounting sheets its hard to say exactly how much money has been 'wasted'.

Unfortunately in this instance I don't believe the community can do anything more than it has already done, Devices have been bought, further devices have been crowdfunded, apps have been written, devices have been ported, feedback and ideas given on TJC. Unless one of us is secretly a multi-millionare, what more do they want from us?

The Following User Says Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Talking about false equivalences, an investment is not the same as a bailout.

If I had €10M to spare, I might consider investing in Jolla. Yes, I would be that naive. BUT - I would do it in the hope of getting my money back with interest. And I would expect that interest to be higher than putting the money in the bank. As I can clearly see blatant failures in Jolla's management, my investment would come with a lot of conditions, starting with drastic changes at the top ranks.

There is a nice proverb where I come from. It does not translate well into English but it roughly goes like this. Whose bread you eat, those song you sing. Meaning, the one giving you the money dictates the terms.

A bailout is a different animal. At least the UK banks one was. It did not come with any conditions attached and was treated exactly like your white trash lottery win.

In my bread/song example, a bailout is an equivalent of giving a beggar on a street €10. Not only will he not sing to you, there is not even a guarantee that he will spend it on bread and not on some cheap vodka.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: