Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Well, every time Jolla post another blog post without giving me tablet or refund I'm buying another apple product during 2016.
Yey, that will show them!

Endso, I agree there is no easy answer. Tabletgate has already cost them dearly and will cost them even more if they build themselves a reputation of "that company that collected money for 12000 tablets and delivered only 300". Who will want to deal with them after that? Things like that can tarnish a company forever and even cost the company's life if they do not handle it carefully. Which is to say, completely unlike every other PR disaster they got themselves in before.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yey, that will show them!
Yeah, they will cry me a river Or not. who cares.

Let's say they lose me and I influence 20 people, that influence 20 people and influence 10 people that influence 5 people, that.. you get it

I rather see Stskeeps building his own OS and release a Hw.Keyboard device like neo900.

Until then...I will order a fPhone...
http://code.fairphone.com/projects/fp-osos/index.html
http://shop.fairphone.com/fairphone-2-tp.html

transparent...my first transparent phone

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-12-31 at 23:12.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
+1 to what pichlo , dave have said ...
Personally I would not invest in such a shaky venture.
And those I know locally I have advised a while ago ...not to either...
until there is proper support...
proper accountability ...
at very very least...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Not producing and delivering a tablet would be ethically wrong and would make jolla known as scammer who screwed its customers.

There really isn't a honest way to back off from the commitment to deliver the tablet.

They have got the money, more than requested even, pluss the perks, the tablets are produced. The only way out of this venture is to invest some more and deliver. Jolla should send invites to all backers to recount how many still want the tablet and produce at least that many. Not refunding is legal and understandable, as the devices are really produced and money spent, just that someone at jolla hugely underestimated the costs or some of the money was taken and used for something else. Either way Jolla has the obligation to deliver.

But if the intex device is with good spec, would i accept a phone instead of a tablet from jolla? I don't know. I'd better not paying for a device i have not asked for, there should be something appealing to me, an os, a good screen, then i might take it and throw jolla 1 to the drawer.

Last edited by veeall; 2016-01-01 at 00:30.

It ocurred to me that with this deal, the time is actually on jollas side. Not having money to produce more tablets is understandable for anybody, and after one more year of the tablet saga the device would be obsolite and pointless to even get or produce. I guess that what jolla is doing - produce as many you can, deliver some, buy some time, let the device obsolites by itself, compensate others with special offers.

edit: But jollas hardware company? What about that? They are to produce more branded devices, aren't they? It really does not profit them to let this whole venture to die without continuation. Jtab2 or upgraded jtab1 should be on the drawing table already by now, if any work is still done on this side of Jolla.(?)

Last edited by veeall; 2016-01-01 at 01:02.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Soooo
the real question is...
which realm does the Jolla tablet issue fall under?
A, B, C, or D?
Indiegogo is a donation-based crowdfunding site. It is D. There's no speculation about this. They don’t allow contributors to become an investor or a shareholder. It is why any physical product that you might get is referred to as a reward or perk. Indigogo campaigns cannot sell you anything.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
they are not legally obliged to deliver the IGG tablets. But you should also know that there is more to running a business than the bare minimum you are legally obliged.
I'm well aware of that. The point I was addressing was Dave's assertion that Jolla are practicing fraud or close to it:

given these points + the fact that jolla focued more on the OS rather then finish the tablet makes it close to a scam and jolla can hide behind the word Crowdfunding. But in reality its a fraud, scam, trick ...
I was refuting the argument that led to the above statement

Sure we invested
And again: no, we didn't. We donated money to Jolla. You cannot invest via Indiegogo

I am sure Jolla will take action to reduce the pain that some people are feeling (they've already said as much, and that also ensures they meet one of the other Indiegogo conditions, namely about "reaching a mutually satisfactory resolution")

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
I'm well aware of that. The point I was addressing was Dave's assertion that Jolla are practicing fraud or close to it:

I was refuting the argument that led to the above statement

And again: no, we didn't. We donated money to Jolla. You cannot invest via Indiegogo

I am sure Jolla will take action to reduce the pain that some people are feeling (they've already said as much, and that also ensures they meet one of the other Indiegogo conditions, namely about "reaching a mutually satisfactory resolution")
Ok. Lets say some of It is true.

1. Company A asks for money for product A and is funded with 4xx%.
2 Doner gives money
3. Company A takes money and skip Product A and use it for product B
4. As a result there is nothing to ship and money is gone.
5. How could any doner, investor or customer trust Compony A in the future?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
All good, Dave, but... doner?

Originally Posted by veeall View Post
edit: But jollas hardware company? What about that? They are to produce more branded devices, aren't they? It really does not profit them to let this whole venture to die without continuation. Jtab2 or upgraded jtab1 should be on the drawing table already by now, if any work is still done on this side of Jolla.(?)
As they have said before, it's up to investors to decide if Jolla will continue in HW business at all. SW and HW businesses have been more or less difficult to bond together with limited resources and so far Jolla has burned their fingers pretty badly with both devices launched. Jolla wanted to launch Jolla branded devices still, so they suggested the split to two different companies but it looks like the investors want to ditch the HW manufacturing altogether as Jolla is too small player to compete against the chinese dumping devices to market. If they can produce only a small batch of tablets, it's likely they just get those that are already manufactured and assemble the rest from existing inventory of parts and that's about it, no more Jolla branded devices (or if there is, they are most likely "badge engineered"). As they have lost some of the crew and are tight on resources, it looks like sensible choice as there is Intex and other deals in pipeline.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund