Active Topics

Talefish is a directory based audio book player.

One of the main goals of Talefish is to provide a place to listen to your audio books separated from the system media library.

Be sure to check out the application options by using the main page pulley menu.

Some of the current features are:
  • Remember listening position – even if you've opened another directory since
  • Custom Playback Speed (within the limits of qml Audio)
  • Metadata support for most common file types
  • Album Cover support for most common file types with fallback for image files in the currently opened directory
  • Skip forward/back by predefined durations or swipe the album cover area to skip to track beginnings
  • Slumber sleep timer integration: Rewind a bit if Talefish is paused by slumber
  • Open files from other applications by using mimer
  • Open files/directories from the command line (-e to enqueue to current Playlist)

Please try it and tell me if you like it (or why you don't)!

You can install it from Openrepos: https://openrepos.net/content/velox/talefish or from the jolla store ("harbour").

Feel free to send pull requests or bug reports on https://github.com/jgibbon/Talefish.

A Transifex page to help our great translation community is available at https://www.transifex.com/velocode/talefish
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

Last edited by velox; 2020-01-11 at 21:48. Reason: jolla store; translation progress image

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Yeeeey! Finally! Thank man! The only thing missing is a donation link

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yeeeey! Finally! Thank man! The only thing missing is a donation link
A thank you like this goes a long way, no donation link necessary. You could hunt down the flattr link on the jolla store page for my sleep timer 'slumber', but that's way too much work.

People on Openrepos showed interest in more file formats, so
Release 2 is out:
  • now lets you open *.mp3, *.m4a, *.m4b, *.flac, *.ogg, *.wav files (ability to play should equal system media player)

Let me know if there should be more file extensions allowed (and which ones).
___

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Sorry, you were right. I always blame other people for failing to confront their assumptions with a reality check and now I fell into the same trap. I found no donation link for one of your apps and assumed there was none for the others too. I checked it out now and you were right again. a Flattr donation requires creating an account. I will have to think about it when it's not 1am and I have not had a couple of drinks. I will probably end up creating one since that seems to be the "official" way of supporting Saifish app developers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
[…]I checked it out now[…]
Even I was too lazy to dig that out.
Well, now that you've done it I have to, haven't I? It seems to be https://flattr.com/thing/4974623.
But Feedback (or a "thank you" note like yours) is really the best "donation" I can get. I like it when stuff I build for myself turns out to be useful to someone else.
___

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!

At least I can see the cover images for my AAC files. THANK YOU.

Now, some improvement ideas:
1. Being able to open a high level folder, let say "Music", and so being able to browse not by folder, but by Artists and Albums
2. I didn't use too much from now, but I think gesture could be better used..more on this later, as soon as I've been able to run it for few hours.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
YYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!

At least I can see the cover images for my AAC files. THANK YOU.
Glad you like it!

Now, some improvement ideas:
1. Being able to open a high level folder, let say "Music", and so being able to browse not by folder, but by Artists and Albums
That would be nice to have, but I've got two problems implementing this: I don't use the system-wide media tracker, just list files and don't have access to metadata like artist/album. Also it would require recursive scanning for which I don't know a good user experience (a lot of waiting without much feedback isn't nice). At least the first part should be solveable eventually but it'd take a while, so I'd have to say "maybe I'll have a look at some other time".

2. I didn't use too much from now, but I think gesture could be better used..more on this later, as soon as I've been able to run it for few hours.
Yes please, gestures really could be better – looking forward to your ideas.
___

The Following User Says Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Please, please, please no tracker. That is the main advantage of your app over anything else: purely directory based. Whoever wants to sort their albums by metadata can choose one of the myriad alternatives. Please KISS.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Please, please, please no tracker. That is the main advantage of your app over anything else: purely directory based. Whoever wants to sort their albums by metadata can choose one of the myriad alternatives. Please KISS.
Exactly my thoughts. Also, I just want my Audio books separate from my Music.
What I meant earlier was that I might be able to use some lib to (optionally) read meta data while "scanning" for durations in the (to be honest, far) future.
___

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
I totally agree to NOT use Tracker too. Didn't think about the consequences of being able to browse by Albums and Artists. Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:

Tags
audiobook, player, sailfish