Active Topics

I have some cracks on mine also, but so far they don't seem to affect anything other than cosmetically.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
Just for the record I have found a tiny hairline fracture but it's not at the bottom (around the sockets) but at the back rim of this protruding plastic bit. There is a little hump on the rim with the crack on it. It seems to me that the poor quality plastic bit is snapped onto the main case and this causes tension leading to cracks over time.

Any kind of physical damage to my Nokia 770 due to misuse is out of question.

I suggest people check their N770s and report back here. This might give us all a better chance to convince Nokia that our claims are valid.

Checking mine i found EXACTLY the same crack like the on in your new picture - extending from the headphone to the usb input to the power plug. :-(

Did anyone contact Nokia and what was the exact reply from Nokia ? Seems like people get mixed feedback. Did they say they fix it for free as long as your under warranty ? I bought mine @ CUSA.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Michael

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by 9a6or
I suggest people check their N770s and report back here. This might give us all a better chance to convince Nokia that our claims are valid.
How about a new thread with a poll?

Note that the piece ("bezel") is a piece of plastic separate from the main body of the case. It appears that it is made of some form of graphite or brittle composite (not more forgiving ABS plastic).

It is obvious that this is one of the last pieces pressed into place (pressure fit) in the unit's final assembly. Take note that the headphone jack and the power plugs have their own sleeve.

Immense pressure is required to put, set and keep them in place, so twisting and compression is present.

I assume that these units are hand-assembled, so you have a human error component. I also assume that the fractures are developed from the factory assembly line - when the bezel is pressed into place - most likely because it is OFF CENTERED (effectively becoming a miniature "moment arm" and cracking the piece).

Just my personal analysis.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Bethesda, MD
Originally Posted by Jambee
Note that the piece ("bezel") is a piece of plastic separate from the main body of the case. It appears that it is made of some form of graphite or brittle composite (not more forgiving ABS plastic).

It is obvious that this is one of the last pieces pressed into place (pressure fit) in the unit's final assembly. Take note that the headphone jack and the power plugs have their own sleeve.

Immense pressure is required to put, set and keep them in place, so twisting and compression is present.

I assume that these units are hand-assembled, so you have a human error component. I also assume that the fractures are developed from the factory assembly line - when the bezel is pressed into place - most likely because it is OFF CENTERED (effectively becoming a miniature "moment arm" and cracking the piece).

Just my personal analysis.

And me thinking it was just a bad "Angle of the dangle"!

Good observations Jambee. It is a definite out of control issue. I just bought another one off Ebay because the Price dicated that I must. (Alleged defective, loaded new Firmware and its Jammin!! Hate when that happens) but the first thing I noticed was the dreaded bottom piece carck. NOKIA is going to have to address it. It is just a matter of will they issue a recall, or just "happily" replace each one on a "per unit" basis. Obviously many will ignore it, think it is their fault etc, and this will be better for NOKIA to just ride it out.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Just received my 770 from Nokia Finnish service. It was sent to Nokia 22.5. the 25th was even a national hollyday in finland!. Fastening cover was replaced, no questions were asked

Did you take it to some store in Helsinki for instance or send it somewhere please?

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cybe
Did you take it to some store in Helsinki for instance or send it somewhere please?
In Finland you take it to the nearest local Nokia service point (listed in Nokia internet pages). They send it further and when ready you pick it up at the same service point

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
Happened to me over the weekend.
A little piece came off.
Should I send it back ?
I live in Belgium