Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Jolla correctly identified the problem in their own blurb:

'The world doesn’t need yet another smartphone'.

Too bad they didn't pay heed to this.

My website

GitHub

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
In that case also Maemo and MeeGo were done terribly wrong as they also relied on native drivers.
You're confusing the UI with graphics drivers.

UI = icons, controls, widgets, windows, pages, sliders, pulldowns etc.

It's got nothing to do with the GPU.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Anyone attended the community meeting? Was IT someone from jolla that Said news Will come this week?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
"proper" is debatable. Some might call that pragmatic. Some might call it a dirty hack based around their devices only having 2x and 3x pixels. Apple simplified the problem because they control the hardware.
Actually, there was a very bad edit there on my part. I meant to continue that Apple has created confusion due to scaling their UI - I started in on HiDPi, how inconsistent they are even on their own devices. But quickly forgot to go back and correct my edit.

But you're right. I'd call @2X and @3X a somewhat dirty hack that is pretty damn bad. The original iPhone fits in the space between icons on the iPad Pro... not exactly what I'd call "optimal".

But how many licensees would want to create another 960x540 phone? Answer: none.
Yep. That's why Sailfish OS 2.0 exists - that's no longer the limitation.

Actually, I think it's just "damned if you do". It's a demonstrably stupid idea to let your community vote on features if you've not got the resources to implement them.
First of all, TJC platform allows voting for every single topic there is. It's not like Jolla "let community vote on having offline maps and navigation" and were in any way bound to deliver it. It is merely an indicator of what the community wishes and they have to decide if they are able to implement and deliver those or not, or if there is something more urgent. However, on exFAT debacle it was different as supporting bigger SD-cards was an option on crowdfunding, which resulted in question about the money used on licensing, which resulted in heated debate should it be paid or not. No-side was winning (unfortunately in quite big majority), so it was natural for them to listen to the community on that point.

But maybe they won't ask any longer but make the decisions by themselves in the future. Seems to be better option.

YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!
Well, Nokia was not about to give them accesss to HERE maps, which was to be their major selling point in the Windows Phone venture. Nor they intended to create a Sailfish port of it.

Why on earth would you expect your new phone to have LESS features than the one you had two years previously?
That is a question you'll have to find your own answer. Just remember that Nokia was in no way obligated to give Jolla anything. They might have done something for considerable amount of money, but I doubt Jolla ever had such money to throw in.

None of which would prevent you from using scalable graphics and hinted layouts. Surely they expected at some point that they'd be moving the OS to a differently sized screen?
Most likely they intended to create the scalability part later when it's time to launch another devices. Considering how immature Sailfish was on launch, I really don't think it would have been wise to throw in resources on such thing at that time.

Absolutely not. I'm hoping people, Jolla perhaps, learn from this. It's difficult to express frustration without sounding like I'm bashing Jolla here and it's not "for the sake of doing it". They've screwed up. I'm not here to kick them in the stomach like some are.
My point is, that quite a bit of the bashing is completely disregarding situations and reasons that led to certain decisions. They are screwed, yes. But it does not mean that every suggestion is better than the choices they have made, especially when we are talking about things that require great deal of time, money and other resources. So pardon my scepticism.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Anyone attended the community meeting? Was IT someone from jolla that Said news Will come this week?
Yes. It was this post and why I was asking the same...

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3707

Yo Jolla. So what's up?

You're confusing the UI with graphics drivers.

UI = icons, controls, widgets, windows, pages, sliders, pulldowns etc.

It's got nothing to do with the GPU.
AFAIK UI was originally written with Qt4 and X. With libhybris they could not use either of those. It takes more than recompile to change it to Qt5 and Wayland. I'm looking at the big picture, not a single feature, and when there is huge amount of work to do, one has to prioritize. From that point of view it's not surprising that scalability of the UI was not in top priority instead of just getting it to work.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The trouble with the JulmaHerras of this world is that they are not going to listen. Their interpretation is always going to be, "there is no point trying, all we get is bashing, boo hoo", when all you are trying to give them is a gentle tap on the shoulder with "hey mate, you know there is a better way of doing that, right?"
And problem with pichlo's is that they refuse to consider that there might not be enough resources and time to do everything in "The Only Right Way(tm)". If you really insist on going to that level.

Pardon my scepticism to "great ideas" and "good will" again.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Yes. It was this post and why I was asking the same...

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=3707

Yo Jolla. So what's up?
Could be that they need a few weeks to write the blog post. Or the info is not from jolla or they burned all the new funds or they just gave up...WHO knows.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Could be that they need a few weeks to write the blog post. Or the info is not from jolla or they burned all the new funds or they just gave up...WHO knows.
Well, it's only Monday. Material for a countdown thread? Gee, at one time this was a count up thread. Was so looking forward to the tablet. Seems like what could go wrong did go wrong. Hope I'm wrong!

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund