Active Topics

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
Hmmm, clear as mud so far, but thanks for the comments.
Heh... you'd be fine with RTCOMM for chatting with MSN and Yahoo friends. (Unless you're a fan of invisible mode).

Pidgin allows for some more powerful options but it isn't really as integrated with os2008 as RTCOMM is. I have both installed but only find myself using the built in contacts/chat/internet call/etc any more.

So I'd say install them both and see what wins over time...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Pidgin is big and bloaty and not very well integrated. Why run a separate application when you have one built-in that doesn't take up valuable task-bar space all the time?

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
So I'd say install them both and see what wins over time...
rtcomm is bundled with OS2008.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I use both. I use pidgin for signing in invisibly and seeing if it is worth having msn open, sending and recieving files and mmultti line input.

I use rtcomm for normal chatting as it is fast.. ii wish amsn was fast.

@general

To be fair, they both have an applet. And i cannot turn off my rtcomm one without an account disable.
Pidgin's one is quite useless imo.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-02-29 at 23:25.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
...does the built in chat client let you merge contacts with multiple handles into the same one as Pidgin does?
Yes, it does.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
I switched to RTCOMM for some time but I have now switched back to pidgin. There are two features on pidgin that are missing in RTCOMM and that bugged me enough to switch back. Pidgin shows me when the other person is typing, RTCOMM does not (If it does, I have not found a way to enable it). Pidgin shows a little cellphone icon next to contacts when they log in over cellphone, RTCOMM does not. I tend to use both of these features quite a bit.

I personally like rtcomm with the latest update. As others have said, it integrates well with the OS and allows you to manage a central list of contacts. I like how I am able to contact the same person via IM, email, or phone (grandcentral) in one place. No separate Pidgin contact lists to maintain or anything like that.

That's my two cents.

*shrugs* I like Pidgin because of its plugins. The ones I do use come in handy on the n800. Like auto correct which fixes common mispellings of words and you can have it setup to do whatever text replacements you want.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I prefer RTCOMM aswell, being able to have a central place to save emails and IM's is really big plus. I also found that pidgin would take up too much memory.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
rtcomm is way better than Pidgin.
Originally Posted by cakey View Post
Pidgin is way better than rtcomm.
You guys are hilarious. That got me laughing.

I mainly like RTComm for the simple fact that, when I used Pidgin, I always forgot to start Pidgin after a reboot or whatever, and RTComm, since it is always running in the background, just signs into all my accounts automatically when I connect to the 'Net.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
I've run both as well and Pidgin definately has more options and customisation to it but for overall ease of use RTCOMM wins hands down. I too would always forgot to start Pidgin on a start-up or reboot, and ocassionaly it would just die/quit.

I do wish we could send/receive files on RTCOMM via IM, I understand that aMSN has this option but seems abit beta/buggy still.