Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Here is where I disagree. I find it hard to believe that a larger screen = a longer battery life. Sure a larger screen = a larger device = more space for a bigger battery but OTOH a smaller screen = you do not need a bigger battery. There are numerous examples to demonstrate it. Just look at Nokia N9 vs. Jolla. In fact the last Android phone I used was Sony Xperia Mini which had a 2.6"(!) screen and the battery lasted a week between charges, in contrast with my Jolla that lasts about a day
Here's a totally unrelated fact from the animal kingdom for you;
Surface area ratio to mass is very relevant on the energy economy of an animal; take a small animal like a mouse and a large animal like a bear for example; the mouse has to spend a lot more energy related to its mass than the bear to heat itself in the wintertime...

Simirarily I can draw an analogy to the mobile devices; as the device increases in size its volumetric area to hold the battery increases faster than size of its front surface (menaing screen area)

--> large phone has better battery capacity, given other specs are equal.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What's that? Are you somehow implying that the device SOC (== chipset basically) somehow dictates if it can use SD cards...?
Haha no SD=SnapDragon, the same chip as in the liquidmetal phone *^_^*

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to napaDokc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Interesting news, but to me also it's too big for my small hands. I run SFOS on a Nexus 5 which is great but a bit too big. Same for the Fairphone2, but at least, for this one, there is a technical explanation, being able to repair and evolve the phone with modules, make it bigger for sure.

Like some said, the Blackberry Z10 has the perfect size imho. Of course NOT with the same bezel size

Last edited by romu; 2016-02-03 at 10:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Here is where I disagree. I find it hard to believe that a larger screen = a longer battery life. Sure a larger screen = a larger device = more space for a bigger battery but OTOH a smaller screen = you do not need a bigger battery. There are numerous examples to demonstrate it. Just look at Nokia N9 vs. Jolla. In fact the last Android phone I used was Sony Xperia Mini which had a 2.6"(!) screen and the battery lasted a week between charges, in contrast with my Jolla that lasts about a day
This is true if you discount the requirements of more powerful SoC. usually it means larger chip, increased power consumption (especially under load) and increased thermal output, which means that there are limits how small device you can cram it into. Remember Sony Z3+ and it's overheating problems?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by romu View Post
Interesting news, but to me also it's too big for my small hands. I run SFOS on a Nexus 5 which is great but a bit too big. Same for the Fairphone2, but at least, for this one, there is a technical explanation, being able to repair and evolve the phone with modules, make it bigger for sure.

Like some said, the Blackberry Z10 has the perfect size imho. Of course with the same bezel size :-D
But isn't one of the main points of Sailfish UI that the device can be operated with one hand more or less regardless of its screen size?
Things like pulley menus, edge swipes and long press to e.g. close apps are comfortable moves no matter how big the screen is.
Of course swipe from top and especially the browser ui are not near as comfortable - possibly other things too. But if Sailfish sorts them out it will be one hell of a user experience in big devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 243kof For This Useful Post:
great news if it comes off, i.e. is released as a real product.

5.5" = fine (upper end of one handed use for me, but okay if bezels are small)
1920x1080 = great (i see no need for more in a large size phone device)
Snapdragon 801 = great (essentially identical to the Snapdragon 800 in the N5, so good h/w support)
3GB of ram = great (we all know J1 didn't have enough memory)
$740 for 64GB = okay (large price, but that's the penalty for decent specs from a niche manufacturer)

If it works out, i may well use my 64GB Jtab refund as a Turing phone discount.

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2016-02-03 at 10:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
terminator 2?
outdated tech then...
aren't we on terminator 4 or 5 by now?
Indeed we Are. But the liquid metal terminator was introduced in second episode.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
3GB

"Sailfish OS is now running perfectly on the Turing Phone"

https://freakxohbingo.de/bundles/bingo/img/6.svg
That sort of mentality didn't work too well for Jolla's IGG campaign, did it now?

The Following User Says Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Originally Posted by 243kof View Post
But isn't one of the main points of Sailfish UI that the device can be operated with one hand more or less regardless of its screen size?
Things like pulley menus, edge swipes and long press to e.g. close apps are comfortable moves no matter how big the screen is.
Of course swipe from top and especially the browser ui are not near as comfortable - possibly other things too. But if Sailfish sorts them out it will be one hell of a user experience in big devices.
I just modified my message, forgot a "NOT" same bezel size which totally changes my point.

Personally I've small hands, and even with the pretty compact Nexus 5 (just a bit less than 70 mm width), it's a bit difficult for my right thumb to reach the left phone edge.

Don't get me wrong, when we talk about phone sizes, imho, the only dimension which really matters is the width. Because the width is THE dimension which rules the ability of use the phone with just one hand. Height matters too, but not in the same way I think.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
I find it very funny that a month ago it was unclear if Jolla, as a company, would even continue to excist along with the SF OS, and now just a month later this comes up and people still need to complain about the screen size and the lack of removable battery.

I, for one, welcome our new Turing overlords, but at the same time I'm quite sceptic if this device ever actually comes available.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nestori For This Useful Post:

Tags
dave999scam, sailfish, scamfish, turing, turingphone