Active Topics

Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Hmm, can't argue either of those choices, to be honest. I never liked the N900 despite owning it. It wasn't about what it could be extended to do - that was downright near limitless - but it was not a device that did what I required out of the box. Years later, it still isn't a device that I look back on fondly - my N810 was to me damn near the perfect device.

The Samsung Note 1 really cemented this entire phablet phase that we're still stuck in but brought along a stylus which the folks here seem to love.

At the end of the day, I think the Jolla tablet would have been wasted on you. It brings nothing new to the table whereas the N900 and OG Samsung Note did.

Perhaps your crusade can stop and your search for what's next and should be near and dear for you can start? Just something to consider.
OFC its wasted. Bought it to support jolla and to try it. I guess I have to get the new Ubuntu tablet. But in the end reasons is irrelevant. We all bought it so we deserve it equally.

didn't except jolla to be so careless...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-08 at 01:41.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
OFC its wasted. Bought it to support jolla and to try it. I guess I have to get the new Ubuntu tablet. But in the end reasons is irrelevant. We all bought it so we deserve it equally.

didn't except jolla to be so careless...
I don't think they were careless. They did gamble, but so many other companies do so - Microsoft gambled with the Surface twice, wrote off 900 million dollars, killed WindowsRT (windows for ARM devices) and yet... they remained profitable.

They're able to do so because of scale and size. Jolla couldn't gamble as such quite yet.

You can keep that anger. I have no more time for it. I'm looking for the "next big thing".

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't think they were careless. They did gamble, but so many other companies do so - Microsoft gambled with the Surface twice, wrote off 900 million dollars, killed WindowsRT (windows for ARM devices) and yet... they remained profitable.

They're able to do so because of scale and size. Jolla couldn't gamble as such quite yet.

You can keep that anger. I have no more time for it. I'm looking for the "next big thing".
What anger?

Gambling with the hands that feed you is potentially dangerous and can always backlash and hit you in the face. That was not the same as Microsoft did for obvious reasons. But hopefully Jolla refund all before this saga is over and get back some more supporters to their corner.

Let's focus on the Jolla Troublet.

Next big thing? I have already fund it

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-08 at 09:04.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Gambling with the hands that feed you is potentially dangerous and can always backlash and hit you in the face. That was not the same as Microsoft did for obvious reasons.
Microsoft has always gambled with the hands that feed it. And now Microsoft has done all-in with Windows 10. It remains to be seen how that gamble goes.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Gambling with the hands that feed you is potentially dangerous and can always backlash and hit you in the face.
Correct. He who pays the piper calls the tune.

But I think you are forgetting one thing. The hand that feeds Jolla is not yours. The grand total contribution to the tablet project plus all the phones sold thus far was enough to sustain Jolla for about 6 months (based on an optimistic estimate of 30k phones sold for the average price of €300, the reality is probably a bit lower).

That means Jolla has a much bigger hand that feeds it. This is the hand they cannot afford to gamble with. If the owner of that hand says screw Dave, Jolla asks in what position.

True. But the hand of the King will probably stop the flow of cash if many mini-me grassroots hands are screwed over and over again. Jolla must show that they can please end users to get more funds. We have the ultimate power, but we have so many different wills so we become irrelevant

Mean while I ordered: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/t...-price.427793/ great price. Get one while waiting for Jolla.

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-08 at 11:53.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
When this sorry saga finally ends, or at least when all the backers have received their emails and committed an end result in one way or another, then that'll be the welcome end of the Jolla device business. It was worth a shot, but after NovaThor (still mourning what this might hav e been), the battery brown-outs and supply saga, the SIM card problem, the tablet screen replacement, the tablet factory switching and selling off, they've proved that little boats just can't weather those storms without hurting their customers.

I look forward to seeing what they can achieve in the field they excel at - developing and perfecting Sailfish OS for several different devices, and hopefully completing their store-approved API so developers can get the more out of that hardware in functionality and performance than any other OS on the market.

But I'm still REALLY interested to know if anyway gets a Taobao tablet...

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
When this sorry saga finally ends, or at least when all the backers have received their emails and committed an end result in one way or another, then that'll be the welcome end of the Jolla device business. It was worth a shot, but after NovaThor (still mourning what this might hav e been), the battery brown-outs and supply saga, the SIM card problem, the tablet screen replacement, the tablet factory switching and selling off, they've proved that little boats just can't weather those storms without hurting their customers.

I look forward to seeing what they can achieve in the field they excel at - developing and perfecting Sailfish OS for several different devices, and hopefully completing their store-approved API so developers can get the more out of that hardware in functionality and performance than any other OS on the market.

But I'm still REALLY interested to know if anyway gets a Taobao tablet...
May be hard to order today. It's Chinese New Year!

Happy Chinese New Year to all at Maemo.org!

Last edited by mscion; 2016-02-08 at 14:56.

Do Jolla still have the HK office ?
How many employees?

I think Jolla will come with explosive news at MWC. Hurry, get the fire extinguisher...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-08 at 17:20.

I hate to sound harsh, however I've noticed that TMO tends to talk a lot but rarely spend a lot. Whenever they (we) do spend, they (we) anticipate that device to have a longer than normal consumer product lifespans. Yes, I include myself into this...

So no. I'm willing to bet that nobody, myself included at the moment, bought one of those Taobao tablets. Reading around, I'd say that caution was perhaps the best route.

Way more doers than collectors here. Why don't you buy one Dave?

It's only money. Can't take it with you.
So...I had one purchased for me from Tao Bao...I am currently at the hospital on call...haven't posted up here in a while due to my awful schedule...hope everyone is doing well. I received the tablet a week ago...the seller advertised 'Sailfish OS'...when I got home late from call, I immediately opened the package like a giddy fool. It is in actual jolla packaging, serial numbered, jolla branded, etc. I will start a new thread on it, but wanted to let everyone know on this thread as well. Then I booted it up...and...Android 4...not happy at all at that moment. So I quietly watched and planned to maybe send it back to my colleague who was able to buy it for me off of Tao Bao...now with the image up and a way to reimage the tablet, I want to try to do this after unlocking the bootloader...my issue is time restraints with my really bad schedule at the hospital and lab...I will post of photos here soon of the packaging and tablet...yes it was 32gb, not 64gb...

I ended up paying $200 with shipping included, b/c my colleague purchased and had it sent to his brother in China, who then sent it to me...very nice of them. I owe him some beers as well. Anyways, I will start posting more in the next couple days instead of 'lurking' b/c I sometimes just check the forums very quickly and then have to finish something else.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund