Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
@vitaminj: As you might rightfully guess - I am just looking at "copy and paste" from a user's perspective, without looking what is behind the UI. And I indeed see your point. On the other hand: why wouldn't you allow to mark and copy each sort of string that is visible to a user - even the battery percentage? At least, that would be something I would call system-wide copy (not paste).

So maybe it is more about the copy-part than aboout the paste-part. Pasting should indeed only be allowed in those fields that are provided therefore - as it is right now.

Another issue is off course the way you copy without keyboard and ctrl-c (as, for instance, with the N900) because you might want to reseerve the long-click for other Events than copying.

And just as a side-question: what is a celebutroll? I guess I am supposed to be one, but I have no clue what it means. Plus: trolling is not my Intention, so please apologize if I made the wrong impr4ession.

Last edited by JoOppen; 2016-02-17 at 13:56.

@pichlo: thank you! Plus: I fully agree with you regarding selecting and copying ("Some questionable decisions in the VKB design. Whose genius idea was it to combine select and copy into a single action? So I cannot select a piece of text and replace it with the contents of the clipboard because the act of selecting puts it in the clipboard. Arrrgh! ")

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I have a friend who at this point would berate you for your Windows ctrl+c ctrl+v heresy. But he still calls it a buffer.
I never used Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. I found Ctrl+Ins, Shift+Ins far more memorable.
Until I started using the N900, that is. Then I had to learn

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Seriously, what do you mean? Silica components support copy and paste, globally. If I select text in an application, it gets copied to the clipboard and I can paste it into text controls elsewhere. Do you just mean the poor support for it in the browser? You can still paste into text fields, and do both from the address bar. Saying that Sailfish has no global copy and paste is a bit dishonest when you just mean the browser application.
There are plenty of other applications where you'd want to select text and copy it that does not work.

Unless they've changed it recently and I've not noticed, Mail is a prime example. To copy text out of an email you have to first reply to a mail so it's quoted in your reply. Then you can copy text out as it's an input now.

But, I wouldn't call people dishonest. When you've an OS that is missing so many 3rd party apps you have to rely on the browser a lot so having a substandard browser there too is a second slap in the face. The browser could solve the app issue but two years on, it's still frustrating.

cue someone saying the source is on github, go fix it yourself.... 3.... 2....

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I never used Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V. I found Ctrl+Ins, Shift+Ins far more memorable.
ah, the IBM indoctrination runs deep.

Always found that really awkward after using Macs, Amiga, BeOS, Later Windows. I must use Command-ZXCVEFG dozens if not hundreds of times a day for the clipboard/buffers on a Mac while editing.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
cue someone saying the source is on github, go fix it yourself.... 3.... 2....
I can go one better:

https://github.com/sailfishos/sailfi...ssue+clipboard

It doesn't even seem to be a registered issue on the project! WTF! Someone go copy and paste all this into a new issue and... oh wait.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Wtf https://jolla.com/tablet/ sold out, before I gott one

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I do! (Yes, including the battery status.)
My god, how perverse!

Ok fair enough, I can see how it might be helpful, but yeah it would interfere in e.g. lists that have a long-hold menu or similar.

Originally Posted by JoOppen View Post
And just as a side-question: what is a celebutroll? I guess I am supposed to be one, but I have no clue what it means.
No, sorry, not you, I made up the word from "celebrity troll" and I mean Dave999 and anyone else who always turn up like clockwork whenever there's a system update and go "Have they done global copy and paste yet? No? Imbeciles!" without really explaining what they think is missing apart from the browser copying which, yes, is a little bit rubbish.

Last edited by vitaminj; 2016-02-17 at 21:48. Reason: Using fruitier expletives because the swear filter is really keen

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by vitaminj View Post
My god, how perverse!

Ok fair enough, I can see how it might be helpful, but yeah it would interfere in e.g. lists that have a long-hold menu or similar.

No, sorry, not you, I mean Dave999 and anyone else who always turn up like clockwork whenever there's a system update and go "Have they done global copy and paste yet? No? Imbeciles!" without really explaining what they think is missing apart from the browser copying which, yes, is a little bit rubbish.
Lucky for you. You wont hear it since there is almost no updates anymore

If you read the user experience thread you will find what I'm missing and my suggestions.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-17 at 22:06.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
ah, the IBM indoctrination runs deep.

Always found that really awkward after using Macs, Amiga, BeOS, Later Windows. I must use Command-ZXCVEFG dozens if not hundreds of times a day for the clipboard/buffers on a Mac while editing.
What no yank and put talk from vi? No emacs kill and yank?

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund