Active Topics

I just connected my N800 internet tablet to my PC via USB, and the battery was just about fully charged, but when I disconnected it, all the battery life just about drained. What could be causing this? All I did was put a few songs on the SD card?

The Following User Says Thank You to valia For This Useful Post:
It's possible something else was scanning your card --- virus scanner is a likely culprit. Did you leave it plugged in for awhile?

Using the N800 as an SD card reader/writer drains the battery quite efficiently in general, I've noticed.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
"Just about fully charged" is false, if you are saying that the status bar shows it as almost full. I have seen batteries go empty in way less than five minutes just using Skype with such a status. Face it: the battery status bar is pretty much worthless. You aren't seeing high battery consumption, you are seeing bad information to start with.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by valia View Post
I just connected my N800 internet tablet to my PC via USB, and the battery was just about fully charged, but when I disconnected it, all the battery life just about drained. What could be causing this? All I did was put a few songs on the SD card?
Yeah, the last time I put a 'few' songs (oh, only around 15 albums) on my card and left it disconnected from the charger for 'only' 6 hours, my battery went dead too. Guess the fact that Skype was running and the system was connected via Wifi to my access point didn't help either.

I didn't have anything running on my N800 at the time - I even had it in offline mode when I connected it to my PC. I only left it plugged in long enough to get my songs on it - about 5 mins. The only ?big? program I've been using is Pidgin, and even that just on occasion.

I do have McAffee virus scanner on my PC... could it be that? Or even the SD card (the one that Nokia included with my N800), or the N800 itself?

Oh well, I guess I'll resolve to adding stuff to the SD card when I know I won't be using my tablet for awhile.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
"Just about fully charged" is false, if you are saying that the status bar shows it as almost full. I have seen batteries go empty in way less than five minutes just using Skype with such a status. Face it: the battery status bar is pretty much worthless. You aren't seeing high battery consumption, you are seeing bad information to start with.
Can I trust the information on screen when it says "Battery Full"? If not, can I just leave the N800 plugged in? Will the battery continue to charge?

Good question, hillsdalebob. Just bumping this up.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
Just leave the N800 plugged into ac power. It won't overcharge, and will remain charged while you're moving data back-and-forth to and from the PC.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Chiba, Japan
Are you plugging in your 800 through a USB hub? I plugged in my mp3 player into my hub once to transfer a few songs and it drained the battery completely before my 1st album was done.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think you might be able to trust the "battery full" message to a certain extent. You can leave your N800 plugged in till the cows come home, and it won't hurt anything.