I just voted on this one too. I wonder if it might have something to do with the LCD?

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
for the fmradio bug, i installed fmradio, downloaded my station list,went into the gconf tree and backed up my list from /apps/maemo/fmradio, removed fmradio,restored the list and installed mediabox. of course radio alarm doesn't work but the radio with mediabox does & headsets work too

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OS2008 has a lot of cool things about it, most importantly USB HOST MODE, and also video chat to PC and all my IM contacts available via telepathy-haze (bye-bye Pidgin!)

But there are so many new annoyances! Every so often, when starting up my BT keyboard, my entire home screen will reset. All the status bar icons will go back to defaults, and all my applets will disappear. When I go into the settings to fix the status bar, all my applets are already selected. Weird.

Originally Posted by adammelancon View Post
I almost dread typing on my N800 since OS2008 came out. There are many times where the letters double press. I almost can't type a word without getting double letters.
Also there are times when I click on the screen and the tap registers somewhere else on the screen. For instance, when I click on a letter some times, the program menu opens up. It's not all the time it does that, but it's frequent enough to be annoying.
The touchscreen on my N800 was ... ok ... in OS2007 (have you ever tried an iPhone or an iPod Touch? Nokia should steal one of those Apple guys), but in OS2008 it is like they've introduced a randomization factor or something. It is always a surprise what letter will appear or what menu will pop up when I hit the screen. Sometimes I get so frustrated I start frantically tapping at the screen like a crazed woodpecker. Interestingly, I find I get double-presses on my BT keyboard as well; sometimes I'll look up to find that I just typed, "theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I still love my N800, and I've had no show-stopper bugs like some people have had. But I'd love to see a few of the many wrinkles ironed out.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
how many people with touchscreen problems are using a screen protector?

I am still using the one which came with it (yes, I know, it's not a true screen protector), it's quite badly marred but you don't notice when the tablet is on. I haven't had any problems.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by EvilBit View Post
I'm brand new here, just picked up an N800 a couple days ago. Loving it. But I only spent about 30 minutes with OS2007 before flashing to 2008, and immediately I started missing out on the finger/stylus differentiation when calling up a keyboard. I can use the d-pad button to do it, but it's slower and more annoying.

HOWEVER, just today I was poking around and somehow called up the finger keyboard without knowing how. So I spent some time fiddling and found out that you can call up the finger keyboard reliably just by tapping more forcefully than before. I'm not sure if it's the speed, force, or something like finger coverage over time, but it has fairly consistently made the finger keyboard work for me. Give it a try.
Yeah i can confirm this. Good find. But it is hard to precisely and forcefully tap on the google bar which is tiny!!

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
Add to this list....after reboot, the predictive text settings reset themselves (I turn them off, but after each reboot they come back "on").

Also, the times that I notice a tap registering somewhere else on the screen, the location is usually just below or just to the left of the location that I tapped on. I also notice that at the same time the CPU loading indicator bar is nearly full. I suspect that some other process in the background is interrupting the touchscreen input process and not returning the stack and registers intact after it finishes processing.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That reminds me; I repeatedly set my Internet Calling settings to "don't open when the camera is opened" and that setting is repeatedly reset. Not sure if it is a reboot or what, but the Internet Calling keeps opening when I pop out the camera! Argh.

As for the sticky scrolling bug, I get it very often. I am surprised that there isn't more noise about it on this forum. It even happens when using the d-pad to scroll, so it's not limited to the touchscreen scrollbar. I don't know how to reliably reproduce the d-pad case though, it seems to happen at random, but often enough (like once every 10 minutes). Pity I am too lazy to register on bugzilla...

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Yeah i can confirm this. Good find. But it is hard to precisely and forcefully tap on the google bar which is tiny!!
Not the mention that doing so will usually cause the bar to move. The idea of movable Home Screen Applets isn't working for me. *grr*

Wanna bring awareness to this problem as well about these keyboard annoyances. Happens with fresh OS2008 flash on N800 with no backup restore. Experiencing:

Screen tap goes to random places / Especially when typing fast on full screen keyboard
One key input causing multiple repeats
High pressure sensitivity with no configuration
Finger tap not bringing up finger keyboard (if I can use 1 finger with 1 tap on input fields to pop up the big keyboard on OS2007, then why am I required to use 2 fingers and double tap for it to work on OS2008 which some people strangely adviced but does not work anyway)

The links above are to bugs.maemo.org , register if you haven't already and vote for the bugs. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next firmware. Maybe you will like to 'upgrade' to OS2007 for the time being if you value typing on the virtual finger keyboard, which I do.

Last edited by robin; 2008-03-16 at 13:48.