Active Topics

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Bend, Indiana
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Software doesn't come for free, and we're still on at stage 3.

Bull. They may be mildly similar in classification, but the Mylo can barely do anything, and it's functionality doesn't change one bit after it's out of the box, while the maemo tablets have a giant world of 3rd party stuff that you can use. They really don't compare.
I would argue that the IPod Touch and Mylo compete in exactly the same space- mobile web connected multimedia devices.

all three are pocketable, can surf the web, have multimedia capabilities... how much closer can you get?

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Now that really reveals a lot of ignorance. <_<
I already said I don't know S about Linux so yes i'm ignorant in that respect.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by Wzrd View Post
I never said I bought it for games, PIM and Office strictly. If you would have read my previous post, I said I bought it as a quick way to get on the internet. I also said that I bought it because it ran Linux but coming from a Windows background, I didn't know there were different versions of Linux and they are not compatible with each other. I F'd up there.

I never said that Nokia owed it to me to have PIM, Offiice, games and other apps available. What I DID say was that if they DID have those available, they would have possibly more buyers of the NIT and thereby create a larger userbase rather than just catering mainly to the geeks. The more functionality/features a device has, the more likely someone (joe public) is to buy it.

Look at what's out there today (Palm, Windows mobile devices or even PC's or Macs), there are thousands of programs available for them. Each device has quite a bit of functionality due to the abundance of various software available.

I do understand the hardware limitations. Hell, I have trouble browsing and using Skype/Gizmo at the same time without either the browser locking up or Gizmo/Skype disconnecting mid call.

I think what Nokia needs to do to be successful with the NIT is stick to one OS platform (don't go from Bora to Chinook to whatever..stick to one version), and develop more programs or have more third party software developers (much like what is currently on other platforms (windows, palm, mac, windows mobile) develop them.
NiT is not anything like Palm, WM, Windows or Mac. It is not even in the same class of device by design - PDAs vs a niche device (internet tablet)

Nokia IS consistent with the OS platofrm -- it's called MAEMO, and Bora and Chinook are simply versions, in the same way that Windows Mobile was evolved from Windows CE to PocketPC to Windows Mobile with umpteen versions along the way. It would be more prudent for you to get your facts right before making statements like these.

The onus is not, and was never on Nokia to 'develop' more programs, just in the same way that Windows Mobile (to use your example, not mine) was developed and sold with a built-in suite, and was then left to 3rd party developers to address market needs if the commercial models made sense to them.

And based on your argument, if Hummer, Lamborghini or Ferrari DID have better fuel consumption and NCAP safety ratings, "they would have possibly more buyers of the NIT and thereby create a larger userbase".

Yes, you F'd (to quote you) up there because you didn't get your facts straight before making statements that underline your self-declared ignorance of the facts. But that's okay, we're still a nice bunch

By the way, the NiT that you bought "as a quick way to get on the internet" does work to get you on the internet, right?

Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
NiT is not anything like Palm, WM, Windows or Mac. It is not even in the same class of device by design - PDAs vs a niche device (internet tablet)

Nokia IS consistent with the OS platofrm -- it's called MAEMO, and Bora and Chinook are simply versions, in the same way that Windows Mobile was evolved from Windows CE to PocketPC to Windows Mobile with umpteen versions along the way. It would be more prudent for you to get your facts right before making statements like these.

The onus is not, and was never on Nokia to 'develop' more programs, just in the same way that Windows Mobile (to use your example, not mine) was developed and sold with a built-in suite, and was then left to 3rd party developers to address market needs if the commercial models made sense to them.

And based on your argument, if Hummer, Lamborghini or Ferrari DID have better fuel consumption and NCAP safety ratings, "they would have possibly more buyers of the NIT and thereby create a larger userbase".

Yes, you F'd (to quote you) up there because you didn't get your facts straight before making statements that underline your self-declared ignorance of the facts. But that's okay, we're still a nice bunch

By the way, the NiT that you bought "as a quick way to get on the internet" does work to get you on the internet, right?
Thanks to all on the description of Bora, Chinook and it's relation to one another.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that since the NIT runs on Linux, it would be nice to have more programs available for it.

And yes, it does do it's job to get on the internet quickly. However, I would like it if I could get more out of the device than just that.

I guess I feel "stuck/frustrated" with it...that I didn't buy the wrong device (it did exactly what I thought it would do), but that I could do more with it (the fact that it ran Linux).

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I guess what I'm trying to say is that since the NIT runs on Linux, it would be nice to have more programs available for it.
The "it runs Linux" thing can be confusing. Pedanticly speaking, the things people commonly call "Linux" are really Linux distributions. Linux itself is just a kernel--the tiny core part of an operating system that lets everything else work, but isn't interesting in and of itself to anyone but the pocket protector brigade.

Linux distributions--like Slackware, RedHat, Ubuntu, and yes, Maemo--are the Linux kernel plus lots of other software to make that kernel useful. What each distribution includes varies, so they each work a little differently, and what runs on one may not run on another, at least, not without modification.

Maemo uses the Linux kernel, of course, and lots of other programs that are so commonly part of Linux distributions that they're often lumped in with the kernel and considered to be part of Linux. However, portions of Maemo are tuned for small screened, low power, handheld devices, so some of the software that runs well on many other Linux distributions needs work before it will work on Maemo.

Maemo's still close enough to other Linux distributions that it's generally fairly easy to get programs that run on other Linux distributions to work on it. That's relatively speaking, of course. Some Linux programs can be quite troublesome to get working, but it's generally still easier than porting something from, say, Windows.

For some reason, car analogies are always used for computer stuff, so here goes: Think of the kernal as a, umm, small block Chevy engine. By itself, it's only interesting to gearheads, but it's when it is put into a sedan (a distribution) it becomes useful to the average person. Saying, it's "Chevy powered" though doesn't mean that the whole vehicle is a Chevy. From what I understand, gearheads build all sorts of odd things around small block Chevy engines, and standard floor mats might not work with all of them.

For an example of a distinctly non-"Linuxy" thing built atop the Linux kernel, see native Oberon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
The thing that really gets me excited about devices that run Linux is the fact there always seems to be a hacker community behind the device that runs Linux. I wouldn't expect to see KDE 4.0 run on the N810. But since Python runs on the N810 I could see many Linux Python programs being ported pretty easily. The Nokia ITs have only been on the market for so long and aren't that popular, IMHO. But with time more and more programs will be available. As such, I just didn't buy the N810 for what it does now. I also bought it for what it may and will do in the future. I bought the N810 because I know it will evolve and will be MORE than just a way to access the internet. It will be a way to control XMMS on my computer, be my check book balancer, be my to-do list, be my reminder of important dates and times, it will be that and more.

Don't sell the N810 short for what it was only made for and ignore what can be done. But at the same time to expect it to do anything and everything right away. There are hardware constraints after all. But still, the N810 will do more than what it was built for, because it runs Linux, because it's Open Sourced. THATS whats so great about the N810 being run by Linux. You allow anyone to make it do more than what it was built for.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The "it runs Linux" thing can be confusing. Pedanticly speaking, the things people commonly call "Linux" are really Linux distributions. Linux itself is just a kernel--the tiny core part of an operating system that lets everything else work, but isn't interesting in and of itself to anyone but the pocket protector brigade.

Linux distributions--like Slackware, RedHat, Ubuntu, and yes, Maemo--are the Linux kernel plus lots of other software to make that kernel useful. What each distribution includes varies, so they each work a little differently, and what runs on one may not run on another, at least, not without modification.

Maemo uses the Linux kernel, of course, and lots of other programs that are so commonly part of Linux distributions that they're often lumped in with the kernel and considered to be part of Linux. However, portions of Maemo are tuned for small screened, low power, handheld devices, so some of the software that runs well on many other Linux distributions needs work before it will work on Maemo.

Maemo's still close enough to other Linux distributions that it's generally fairly easy to get programs that run on other Linux distributions to work on it. That's relatively speaking, of course. Some Linux programs can be quite troublesome to get working, but it's generally still easier than porting something from, say, Windows.

For some reason, car analogies are always used for computer stuff, so here goes: Think of the kernal as a, umm, small block Chevy engine. By itself, it's only interesting to gearheads, but it's when it is put into a sedan (a distribution) it becomes useful to the average person. Saying, it's "Chevy powered" though doesn't mean that the whole vehicle is a Chevy. From what I understand, gearheads build all sorts of odd things around small block Chevy engines, and standard floor mats might not work with all of them.

For an example of a distinctly non-"Linuxy" thing built atop the Linux kernel, see native Oberon.
More significant than Linux/non-Linux, would be UNIX/non-UNIX. Linux is a great kernel, but so are some of the other UNIX kernels out there. (I don't really know, but I've heard it said that even NT had a decent kernel, and it does work respectably enough with cygwin.)

But all the UNIX stuff ("lots of other programs that are so commonly part of Linux distributions that they're often lumped in with the kernel and considered to be part of Linux.") being there is why an N800 is so much more a "Linux box" (properly a UNIX box, as most of us wouldn't really notice the difference if it was BSD based) than the iPhone is an OSX machine.

Thanks to all on the description of Bora, Chinook and it's relation to one another.

And yes, it does do it's job to get on the internet quickly. However, I would like it if I could get more out of the device than just that.

I guess I feel "stuck/frustrated" with it...that I didn't buy the wrong device (it did exactly what I thought it would do), but that I could do more with it (the fact that it ran Linux).
Many of the programs you likely want and a bunch you didn't know you wanted ARE out there. Because the Nokia application site can sometimes leave some to be desired, you should come to a place like this and say something like, "I want a mail app that will support IMAP. Can someone recommend one?" or "How do I load beta apps I read about and what is this red pill mode I see mentioned occasionally?"

From there, you will get recommendations and the obligatory post that you should have searched first (which you should take as a sign they care, not that they took more time to respond like a jackass than to simply answer you) to which you will promptly hand out some thanks using the "thanks" button beneath their post.

Everyone wins.

Do you tether your tablet to a blackberry? Vote for Nokia to fix the DUN bug so your mobile connectivity experience improves.

I would like mention a bit about the nokia 810 not having a phone.
In the seventy digital watches were at one time about $400 as they got cheaper and cheaper, they were put in everything pens, air fresheners, you name it, It had a digital time piece,
A similar thing happened with mp3 players. They're in everything. So now its happening with phones. Some people thing they should be put in everything, just because they can be.

Originally Posted by smackpotato View Post
I would like mention a bit about the nokia 810 not having a phone.
In the seventy digital watches were at one time about $400 as they got cheaper and cheaper, they were put in everything pens, air fresheners, you name it, It had a digital time piece,
A similar thing happened with mp3 players. They're in everything. So now its happening with phones. Some people thing they should be put in everything, just because they can be.
I think the problem is that people think of this as a cell phone replacement instead of something that can work with your cell phone.

I regularly tether my N810 to my cell phone to get internet access. I get my personal email on my IT and my work email on my Blackberry. But I like the fact that when not tethering, I get so much more battery life from my blackberry so that it can continue to be, well, a blackberry. I need the device that handles my work email to have far longer than 6 hours of battery life. My music and video playing, real-internet browsing, game toting, IM machine does just fine in spurts of 4 to 6 hours for me for now.

Someday, my kids will wonder how we ever went less than 6 months between charges.

Do you tether your tablet to a blackberry? Vote for Nokia to fix the DUN bug so your mobile connectivity experience improves.