Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
As has been said, this has been covered many times.

The popular meaning of "DivX" is supported, with pretty much all the converters targetting what could be considered DivX files (although only certain FOURCCs are recognised), apart from Nokia's Internet Tablet Video Converter which targets MP4/AAC.

There are also many converters, such as Nokia's ITVC, my own tablet-encode and Urho's MediaConverter (which you linked to).

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
tablet-encode tells mencoder to use the lavc codec "mpeg4." In the mencoder man page the description next to that codec is: "MPEG-4 (DivX 4/5)"

I'll leave others to debate what "DivX" really means but I will say that video encoded in such a way works great in the built-in media player.

-John

Firstly i'd like to thank everyone on this thread for helping a total novice when it comes to the n810. i got mine yesterday and couldn't understand why it didn't play standard mp4 files. now I know and i'm using media converter osx and it works great.
another question though. i'm using etymotic headphones and the max volume is just about ok but i'd really like a bit more vol if possible. so, can anyone recommend a set of low impedance in ear headphones (i'm assuming lower impedance = higher volume???) or any other work around?
thanks

I own a Tivo

A Nokia N800 with 08 flash

Tivo Desktop 2.5 w/ 24.95 plus upgrade.

I downloaded a show through desktop, converted it with the mp4 compatible profile. Plugged in N800 via usb and trasnfered file. Now it is playing very nicely no video skipping with audio insynch. No problems seeing it with default media player.

Now the next time I need to distract my son I can hand him a 30 min episode of Power Rangers: Operation Overdrive "Behind the scenes" episode.

So if you own a Tivo and are willing to use all "the mans" software restrictions and fees it works well!

Last edited by maseratij; 2007-12-19 at 19:57.

Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
tablet-encode tells mencoder to use the lavc codec "mpeg4." In the mencoder man page the description next to that codec is: "MPEG-4 (DivX 4/5)"

I'll leave others to debate what "DivX" really means but I will say that video encoded in such a way works great in the built-in media player.

-John
Thanks for the info and the size information I got from another thread.

Ultimately - after a few trials and errors this is what worked for me using just mencoder.

> mencoder input_movie.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac mp3lame -vf scale=400:240 -o output_movie.mpeg

The movie now plays full screen on the N810 with sound matching correctly. I left out the bitrates - leaving it to the same as the source file though.

Originally Posted by mikechadwick View Post
Firstly i'd like to thank everyone on this thread for helping a total novice when it comes to the n810. i got mine yesterday and couldn't understand why it didn't play standard mp4 files. now I know and i'm using media converter osx and it works great.
another question though. i'm using etymotic headphones and the max volume is just about ok but i'd really like a bit more vol if possible. so, can anyone recommend a set of low impedance in ear headphones (i'm assuming lower impedance = higher volume???) or any other work around?
thanks
Mike,

I've not got completely to the bottom of this yet, but I've been trying out SUPER for video encoding for the N810. The only thing I've found to be consistent regardless of other settings is that if I use MEncoder, the volume is really really low, if I use ffmpeg, the volume is perfect (by that I mean in balance with audio, system sounds etc). I suspect there is a subtle problem with the transcoding that's being done and the volume level is being lost/decreased.

Anyone with more technical knowledge of this area able to suggest something?

Mark

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Can you try with the official Nokia Video Converter application and tell us how it compares audio level/quality wise to the other apps you tried?

Official Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by mikechadwick View Post
thanks
I just figured this out this week. The media player has separate volume from the main volume. Once media player is running, the zoom rockers control the media player volume, you need to change the master volume with the onscreen icon. It might not be your headphones.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Phoenix
Tivo to Go works great - converting to mp4 automatically via Tivo desktop, videos are great. No need to run them through Nokia's video converter.

I was wondering, since the limitation of video playback on the N8x0 is the LCD bandwidth, couldn't we get a player like mplayer to play a non-transcoded video by scaling down the uncompressed frames to 400x??? before sending to the LCD? That way, we could watch divx videos off the wifi network without having to transcode them