Posts: 33 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ South Orange County
I have a feeling nobody got my joke...

I find the layout is great... with my leather boxwave sleeve/case thingy, I'm able to maintain a comfortabe and very firm grip on the tablet with my right hand... stylus and buttons with left. Plus the menus are all on the left.

I esp love that you can set quiver's 'filmstrip' navigation to the right side where its easy to navigate by thumb.

I feel sorry for right-handed folks.

I don't think it's an easy problem to solve.. my Palm T3 has the D-pad at the bottom, so it doesn't matter which hand holds the stylus (I think there's actually a leftie software setting too somewhere, to accomodate other things).

The N800 seems to be designed specifically for right-hand users, although most people aren't really right- or left-handed, they just have a right- or left-preference. I've met only two people in my life that were clearly right handed, their left arm was just an appendage - useless for everything.

But in this case the stylus is the problem - the writing hand is almost always a one-hand specific thing (well, at least if you prefer the hand-writing option.. with the on-screen keyboard you can probably learn to use the other hand, unless you're one of those few single-handed people). So, for lefties the N810 might be a better choice, as the thumb keyboard is always available and the stylus could be left alone (if you can stomach a thumb keyboard to start with.)

(If the N800 display could be turned 180 degrees upside down you could turn the N800, that would work except if you also wanted to use the kickstand).

Last edited by TA-t3; 2008-03-12 at 12:11.

I am left handed too. On the beginning N800 layout wasn't bothering me much but after 3 months it is bothering me more and more. Next feature for OS200x: rotate screen 180 degrees.

The only thing I would change is the location of the autocomplete words that come up when typing with the onscreen stylus keyboard.

they come in from the left hand side, meaning that as I type, the space bar becomes more and more inaccessible. Being able to have them right-aligned would be a big plus for me.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ corpus christi texas
Switch hitter here, but sometimes being lefty feels like its a total stranger.

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Left-handed users may want to check out the thread Canola2 on Portrait Mode. They got this to work by using XRandR (X Resize and Rotate extension) to rotate the entire X-Windows environment by 90 degrees. XRandR can also rotate 180 degrees, but you'd still need to remap the up/down left/right hardware buttons.

Perhaps if more people voted +1 for the xrandr kernel mod in the Canola thread, it might get incorporated into a future kernel update.

Originally Posted by bdjohnso10 View Post
I have a feeling nobody got my joke...
I really liked it.....a vast improvement over the original!

As a leftie I didnt find the N800 a problem - except for one thing - the scrollbar is on the right hand side, so to scoll down with the stylus I have to move my hand in front of the screen - a bit disruptive. With the N810 it gets worse, cause now the light sensor at the top left keeps on picking up my hand, it thinks its suddenly gone dark, and the lights dim, only to brighten up again when I move my hand out of the way. A simple 'Left handed mode' option which displays the scrollbar on the left would go a LONG way to sorting this out. Everything else is 100%

You can change scrollbar location via about:config

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Layout.scrollbar.side

Seems to be work well here