It's a matter of public record, Karel, no point hiding it. Just tell us who's doing the polishing, ok?

As for me, at least I'll die in my sleep. Painless that way.

Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
And that is what they call RDF. Goal is 10 million *in* 2008.
Linux and Open Source people are affected by a much more powerful RDF. They think broken unfinished software is awesome. Features over Quality seems to be the theme, and I am having a hard time subscribing to it.

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Linux and Open Source people are affected by a much more powerful RDF. They think broken unfinished software is awesome. Features over Quality seems to be the theme, and I am having a hard time subscribing to it.
Wouldn't an RDF, you know, distort reality? You describe a different value system, where people subjectively rank importance of features and "quality" differently than you.

I think you might have meant "UNIX people are affected by a much more powerful philosophy".

It's called "worse is better", and yes, we do have it, thank you very much.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
well as long as someone can come along and eventually fix it, i would not say its broken

look at the recent threads here where people make the usb port go into host mode, enable PAN on bluetooth, and AD2P is coming along as well.

now lets see someone outside of apple do that with the current sdk

Losing argument and going ad personam? Tsk, tsk.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
well as long as someone can come along and eventually fix it, i would not say its broken
Going into General Antilles mode:

That statement makes no sense. So when my alternator went on my car it wasn't broken. I wasn't stuck on the side of the road. I did not have to get a battery boost to get to the shop and I did not have to pay 4 bills to get a replacement alternator put in. Nothing was broken.

Wow. I had no clue.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, thats one way of reading my statement...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
So the rest of the Nokia products get the same crappy marketing and UI treatment as the NIT's.
Only in the US.

Elsewhere it is VERY different.

Sherifnix's comments are certainly valid, but they ignore the incredible success of Nokia-- which has occurred despite the flaws and misfires we could spend all year picking at.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Easy now...I'm still surprised this is still going on.

Texrat is correct. Nokia in the U.S. is very very different than Nokia internationally.

I understand both sides completely. We are on different pages.

I am one to argue for finished polish software and UI that works. If I get an iphone, it's because I can easily use it to make phone calls, listen to music/podcasts or watch video, keep my contacts and email in order and occasionally read online newspapers, etc.

It excels at all of those without the pain of tweaking it in order to make it work. It isn't meant to be close to a laptop replacement like the n800 is so dissing the iphone based on that is moot.

Like I said in the beginning, they are two different devices.

If we're going to keep discussing this, we need to make clear what the discussion is about. The title of the thread states that the SDK is awesome and it is. Of course it doesn't please everyone but go to other forums and you will find that plenty of people are excited and ready to embrace it.

The SDK is a great thing for the iphone and will improve it as a device. We've already heard of the many things people have been able to do with jailbroken ones so the potential is there.

Let's stop being ridiculous and move on. Either that or someone else start an iphone bashing thread cuz the title on this one doesn't match the content in the last however many posts (including mine).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stjuste For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vvaz View Post
Losing argument and going ad personam? Tsk, tsk.
I was accused of being a Jobs RDF victim, I'm just pointing out that there is definitely two fields crashing together here. It seems people based in the US have a tendency fall under Apple's influence (not all obviously) and European countries have an affluence towards Nokia products.

I myself try to be worldly and consider all my options. I import S60 devices and have purchased every iteration of the Internet Tablets. All said and done though, I end up disappointed, even if its just to affirm my decision in purchasing Apple products =p I prefer to have an informed opinion rather than a ignorant one. I'm also not opposed to using a product other than Apple's if its clearly superior. I have for many years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sherifnix For This Useful Post: