Now really excited about the beta 2006 os, i started to ask myself, how the repositories will be managed?

The fbreader, site has a own one, but i think the plan should be to have 2 or 3 major repositories.

Also i think nokia will make a own repositorie, because if you install fbreader over their repositorie, the installer says that this is not a nokia signed oder certified package.

So now I'm waiting for the first -> "add this repostiorie" post where i can get a lot of appz.

Greetz Sebastian

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hi Sebastian,

Originally Posted by MrNape
Now really excited about the beta 2006 os, i started to ask myself, how the repositories will be managed?

The fbreader, site has a own one, but i think the plan should be to have 2 or 3 major repositories.

Also i think nokia will make a own repositorie, because if you install fbreader over their repositorie, the installer says that this is not a nokia signed oder certified package.

So now I'm waiting for the first -> "add this repostiorie" post where i can get a lot of appz.

Greetz Sebastian
That's the whole point: Nokia wants to offer applications and other installable stuff via their certified repositories. FBReader is not coming from Nokia, hence it's not certified. If you trust me or the repository FBReader is offered from, you will say "yes, please proceed", otherwise you will interrupt the installation.

Maemo guys are going to have a repository for all kind of 3rd party software, however they might not be able to test all packages against latest version of IT OS 2006 (or later), hence it's not certified. Nokia has a special team that will pick some packages, test if they work in the latest availa ble environment, and only then make them available from the certified repository. If you choose to only download stuff (software, themes, etc) from Nokia repository, then you should be safe. Otherwise, make a concious decision whether you trust a particular repository.

So let's wait for more repositories with software or other useful stuff

I hope I get the same feeling from the 770 that I do from Ubuntu, that is finding really cool apps in the repo's you never even knew/heard of. It should also make it easier for dependencies (like maemo games startup) and development packages.

Great Idea Nokia devs!