Notices

First - Thanks for making this! Second, I understand that your priorities and time are your own.

Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
PRs are welcome, I don't expect to have time to work on styles in any time soon.
By PR, do you mean feature requests?

With some reservations, as whether vector tile database includes all info at certain level.
That would a major fly in the ointment - and quite likely I suspect.

make your own style and load data from Mapbox or OSM Scout Server. OSM Scout Server style is at https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl-styles, for Mapbox ones look them up as a developer.
So the minor road style would be line 326, "id": "tunnel-minor", in https://github.com/rinigus/mapbox-gl...ers/roads.json

Would a custom style be compiled into PureMaps? or is it a json file in its data directories, or is it something made for each map type somewhere else?

The Following User Says Thank You to crun For This Useful Post:
1) Is OSMScoutServer only able to download OSM maps?
Or can it also download other maps used by PureMaps e.g. Here and OpenTopomaps etc?

If not is there any way to download or cache them for offline use in PM?

The Following User Says Thank You to crun For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
regarding styles, you would have to read up on it. I recommend to use Mapbox guides and web environment for learning and testing. The server uses the same type of styles, they are just generated by scripts. We can get to details later.

as for caching, there is some by mapbox gl itself. as for external maps caching, osm scout server doesn't support it. in theory you can write simple http server and styles to pull from it on your device

ps: sorry for short reply, I'm traveling right now

Last edited by rinigus; 2019-09-15 at 12:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
@eson had a question regarding TTS in Swedish. Actually, I was thinking to add at some point online TTS services. I wonder, if in Sweden or some other countries you have free government provided TTS APIs available? There are always some commercial options, but probably users will have to hook their keys for those. Would be interesting to test high quality tts for a change.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I have a problem with the german speech synthesizer. I try to explain it in english:

Links abbiegen auf die A8.
Go left on A8.

The full-stop should be expected as the end of a sentence after A8. But the german seech system interprets it as "Links abbiegen auf die A-achte" like "Go left on A eighth"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
There isn't much we can do with German TTS. While its open-source, its in a form of the source dump which is not developed anymore. If there is a better alternative, we maybe can look into it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
regarding styles, you would have to read up on it. I recommend to use Mapbox guides and web environment for learning and testing.
Thanks, I'll see if I can chat with a local using mapbox on the web, and maybe experiment with line changes if I can get his help.

As a note, what I personally need are topomap and road maps that are offline (as the places I want maps have either no coverage, or the speed is so low, the map is useless). It was the reason to buy the first nokia smartphone, then the reason to get winphone instead of android, and is presently a showstopper for sailfish. Offline mapping is crucial to me personally. Whereas turn by turn navigation for example, is of very minor interest. I can do navigation easily. I can't memorise whole maps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crun For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
I wonder, if in Sweden or some other countries you have free government provided TTS APIs available? There are always some commercial options.
I don't think there is anything like it in Sweden, at least I can't find anything.
I did find a commercial option, called ResponsiveVoice, with a free plan and a very good Swedish voice (don't know about other languages). Also don't know if it is suitable for Pure Maps, but you might want to take a quick look at it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
There isn't much we can do with German TTS. While its open-source, its in a form of the source dump which is not developed anymore. If there is a better alternative, we maybe can look into it.
I wonder if it would be possible to cut the full stop before putting the string into the tts.

[Update] ... or change the full stop by a comma - which would have a near accentuation like a full stop.

Last edited by cy8aer; 2019-09-18 at 12:43.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:
Re mapbox styles: offline styles are determined in OSM Scout Server and can be tuned as we please. Its just easier to learn using Mapbox environment. After learning, we can proceed and look what has to be adjusted in the server styles to make it possible. But I would prefer somebody who is interested in improving the styles to step up and make an effort to learn and compose them.

TTS: In general, I think its not Pure Maps responsibility to somehow mingle a correct sentences or words. TTS should be smart enough to speak properly. I will look into hooking some advanced TTS, but would be great is someone would look through available options.

https://responsivevoice.org/api/ seems to be for JavaScript. We are looking for an API where you would give a text, language and would receive MP3 or similar as a response.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: