Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Photos on the better phones are quite impressive using multiple images and sophisticated processing. I think the idea of a raw image loses some meaning on these devices as the software takes advantage of AI, complicated algorithms and so forth to make the best of the hardware however lacking. On the other hand, having a phone/camera that produces the best raw image is a good thing even if it doesn't produce the prettiest picture. Nice to be closer to the truth unless you prefer fake news!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
DId a small Update on F(x)tec forum:
  • The problem, with Jolla store has vanished over night (without reboot). All apps show up now.
  • Battery life is definitely worse than with android at the moment, but I think, if you don't use it to extensively, it will bring you through the day.
  • Still can't get mobile data to work. No matter if I enter access data manually or if I leave it to the automatic (anyway the same data).
  • The funny behavior of the brightness slider is just there, when the device boots up without the sensors. Which happens not that often as I feared at the beginning
Minor problems I have not reported yet:
  • I can't access the device via ssh over usb. Over Wifi it works fine.
  • You can't set ISO manually on the camera app. Pictures are good enough, have look at talk.maemo.org
Daily driver? No way at the moment. FOR ME the show stoppers are:
  • No mobile data
  • no GPS
  • Wrong mapping of the keyboard
  • Complete crashing, when inserting earplugs
If these problems are solved I will give it immediately a try. Sailfish feels too sexy on that device.🥰

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
Phone cameras are focusing mostly in low light photography the last 3-4 years or so.
Let's say that we focus on the S series from s7 to s10.
Ofcourse the evolution is amazing in every way, but if you compare low light photography specifically, the difference is just huge.
That's because there is no excuse anymore for crappy quality in low light, when everyone is asking at least 750 euros for a flagship.
The problem here is with the conditions. Just look at this piece that should be a plain white, but instead has all these different colours. That's the sensor trying to cope with the lack of light by just amplifying what it's getting, but getting it wrong. Any phone would have issues in these conditions. Yes they might be improving on that specifically, and yes people might say such poor performance is inexcusable, but it's still there.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Shirabe View Post
The problem here is with the conditions. Just look at this piece that should be a plain white, but instead has all these different colours. That's the sensor trying to cope with the lack of light by just amplifying what it's getting, but getting it wrong. Any phone would have issues in these conditions. Yes they might be improving on that specifically, and yes people might say such poor performance is inexcusable, but it's still there.
I don't disagree with anything from the above, but as a consumer I will judge the final result.
I don't think that anyone cares if the device (or any device) has the "X" sensor etc. All that matters is the final result that will come from hardware + software working together.
For example. Does the note 10+ have the best overall cameras now? Without a doubt. Does iphone 11 pro beat the note 10+ with more realistic colors and seemless transition on all 3 lenses? Ofcourse!
I am mentioning the above because samsung already does an amazing job camera-wise, but even if you have inferior hardware, you can still surpass it with well written software!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
I am mentioning the above because samsung already does an amazing job camera-wise, but even if you have inferior hardware, you can still surpass it with well written software!
Funny you say that, because that picture I posted was a crop from a Galaxy S10 photo.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...4&postcount=99

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shirabe For This Useful Post:
What photo have you cut this image from?
(I have searched the last couple of pages and I did not find it /the cutout is a small part anyway/.)

What I would like to say is I prefer to see these noises instead of plain white if that means no loss in details.

I mean I saw several photos of Android phones where a relatively high resolution sensor produces high resolution but relatively low detail photos (something like if the photo had a blur then a sharpening effect) and I really, really don't like it.

I mean if Fxtec will do similar "ironing" of the photos then I hope they will allow the user to switch it on or off because these methods can cause loss of details in photo.
...and yes, manufacturers do some "ironing" effect, but photos will not really improving by this just they look to be improved (details are missing and are unable to recover)...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Funny you say that, because that picture I posted was a crop from a Galaxy S10 photo.

Without knowing how the light conditions really were, when the photo was taken, it's impossible to judge picture quality just from looking at it! My DSLR is for sure quite good in low light conditions. Anyway I can post you pics which look really horrible. But you can be sure that it was than really dark...

Mosen made a nice comparison. Her you can draw your conclusions. But posting just some pictures of one camera doesn't say anything.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
My DSLR is for sure quite good in low light conditions.
Of course a DSLR has a huge optics compared to any phones and also the price range is starting at the price of a phone.

...and also a DSLR usually produces pretty good photos but only if the photographer knows how to use it. If not, the photos may be only a bit better than a photo of a good phone camera.

I remember few weeks ago I saw a photo what a journalist took about one of our products at an exhibition. My colleague also took a photo of the same thing which was better than the other... then I looked at exif info of the journalist's photo and astonished how was able to take such poor photo with that machine...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
Of course a DSLR has a huge optics compared to any phones and also the price range is starting at the price of a phone.

...and also a DSLR usually produces pretty good photos but only if the photographer knows how to use it. If not, the photos may be only a bit better than a photo of a good phone camera.

I remember few weeks ago I saw a photo what a journalist took about one of our products at an exhibition. My colleague also took a photo of the same thing which was better than the other... then I looked at exif info of the journalist's photo and astonished how was able to take such poor photo with that machine...
making bad photos is easy

What I wanted to point out is, that on a photo you can't really judge how dark or bright it really was, when the pic was taken.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:

And what's wrong with that?
I saw the original pics and this is a x5 crop or something.
Also the post is from the same week the phone was released. If you want some photos after about 8 camera improving updates, i can show you when I meet my nephew.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit