Active Topics

Posts: 386 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Netherlands
I know I can open note.html files in Notepad++ but man editing this is awful:

So, is there a proper editor for osso-notes note.html files?

The Following User Says Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
You can edit it with libreoffice but be carefull using formattings osso-notes can display or osso-notes will display an empty document.
If you use simple formatting (I guess the same formatting as osso-notes uses), you will be able to reopen it in osso-notes.

You could also convert your file to text with html2text but you'd loose your formatting.

Personally, I user leafpad and pure text to avoid these questions and compatibility troubles and some ascii things to underline, separate paragraphs and so on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
You can edit it with libreoffice but be carefull using formattings osso-notes can display or osso-notes will display an empty document.
If you use simple formatting (I guess the same formatting as osso-notes uses), you will be able to reopen it in osso-notes.

You could also convert your file to text with html2text but you'd loose your formatting.

Personally, I user leafpad and pure text to avoid these questions and compatibility troubles and some ascii things to underline, separate paragraphs and so on.
I tried, but it seems to mess up formatting and "quotations". Ecch, I might aswell just do it the hard way using Notepad++ or VNC.

EDIT: it also breaks certain special characters, like á, é, í, ó, ú.

Last edited by Wasmachinemann-NL; 2020-01-25 at 12:12.

[begin possible stupid question]

Could we not compile the osso-notes application on a linux box?

[end possible stupid question]

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
[begin possible stupid question]

Could we not compile the osso-notes application on a linux box?

[end possible stupid question]
Or better yet: reverse engineer and port osso-notes to Leste! (and hopefully also some of the bugs it has)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wasmachinemann-NL For This Useful Post:
Essentially, what you need is a HTML WYSIWIG editor, yes?
So that you can see the formatted text (formatted with html tags), but not the tags.
Try bluefish (available on any Linux distro's repos); or seamonkey's composer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wasmachinemann-NL View Post
Or better yet: reverse engineer and port osso-notes to Leste! (and hopefully also some of the bugs it has)
Yeah! You know from a sure source it is closed source?
No, seriously, I have some serious gaps, see: I don't know where to find the sources of the packages...
Maemish, we could found a club.

But, no, actually. If osso-notes doesn't produce real, compatible html, it is a non-sense to port it anywhere. Better starting from an open base that respects standards. Why did Nokia n900 devs not do that for osso-notes when they wrote it?

Last edited by ric9K; 2020-01-25 at 20:31. Reason: Avoid confusion about Nokia devs / Leste devs

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Yeah! You know from a sure source it is closed source?
No, seriously, I have some serious gaps, see: I don't know where to find the sources of the packages...
Maemish, we could found a club.

But, no, actually. If osso-notes doesn't produce real, compatible html, it is a non-sense to port it anywhere. Better starting from an open base that respects standards. Why didn't they do that for osso-notes?
Because then I would need to rewrite tens of note.html files, and that's not something i'm planning on doing.

..although starting fresh and ditching everything on my N900 is something I have been saying forever, this is over 8 years of random **** we're talking about in my .documents folder.

Because then I would need to rewrite tens of note.html files, and that's not something i'm planning on doing.

..although starting fresh and ditching everything on my N900 is something I have been saying forever, this is over 8 years of random **** we're talking about in my .documents folder.
Sure, it'd be a pain.
But I am sure the next version of osso-notes will include an "import from closed Osso-notes" function.

(By the way, just to be clear, when I wrote "Why didn't they do that for osso-notes?", I was talking about Nokia devs, not Leste devs.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Because then I would need to rewrite tens of note.html files
You want to convert them to plain text, removing the html tags?
pandoc can do that for you. (Among others).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post: