Active Topics

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
I agree with Lemmy, here in the UK I've found the maps to be pretty up to date. Certainly more up to date than the old tomtom 5 maps I also have, and which themselves are more than adequate. SatNav combined with (gasp) an old-fashioned paper map will get you most places
Agreed. It's got maps for the oldest roads on our new estate, but hasn't got our road. maps.google.co.uk has only just got it, so I'm used to being off the radar (or, as the Wayfinder trial put it, "move closer to the road")

I keep spamming Wayfinder support asking for information about an update for my N800. I live in Hungary, and the maps for the Central European area is just useless. It is more or less detailed for large towns, but has no info about smaller cities or villages. Also it doesn't know which are the toll roads. And yes, the maps are far outdated and full with mistakes.

A friend of mine showed his mobile with Wayfinder installed, and it was so good! The maps were up to date, and full with useful infos. I asked Wayfinder about it and they answered:

The Wayfinder systems for internet tablets and mobile phones are different. The program for mobile phones is connected to the server all the time and downloads the maps from our server. The program for the internet tablets has the maps in the device so they are usually a little bit older. Of course they will be updated too.
Oh yeah.. Will be updated. When??

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
The more I read on this wayfinder stuff, the happer I am that I don't have it :-).

Can serve as a data point for the value of freeware, I guess :-).
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

wayfinder worked great for me while driving all around Provence in France for 8 days over christmas, and works pretty well for me here at home in London too, although It does tend to try and direct me on the most congested route into central London when I drive in.

I certainly don't regret buying it, also, wayfinder was my excuse to my wife to let me buy the N800 tablet in the first place and I use it every day for bookreading/browsing/scheduling too

Google Earth / Google Maps doesn't have US 14 from Waseca to Janesville, MN right. I suspect they don't publish often. 9 months ago I had a nice set of waypoints which looks weird going through cornfields.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by szucsati View Post
I keep spamming Wayfinder support asking for information about an update for my N800. I live in Hungary, and the maps for the Central European area is just useless. It is more or less detailed for large towns, but has no info about smaller cities or villages. Also it doesn't know which are the toll roads. And yes, the maps are far outdated and full with mistakes.

A friend of mine showed his mobile with Wayfinder installed, and it was so good! The maps were up to date, and full with useful infos. I asked Wayfinder about it and they answered:

Oh yeah.. Will be updated. When??
I have used wayfinder on my N75 and the implementation on that device seems miles ahead of that on the N810. The maps are better, the navigation seems to operate quicker, just a better all round experience. I also have Tom Tom on my mobile and this is far better than wayfinder, I'm hoping a better Navigation solution pops out the woodwork sometime.

Any news about the updated maps? I'm feeling I have wasted my money...

Well, it's said that there'll be an updated version with Diablo; I haven't tried it at all, as Maemo Mapper suits my needs well, and there's a couple other projects (zmapper and roadmap) that are on my tinkering list way before I get to that stuff. So I'm not even paying attention to see when the new version shows up.

"Dear Sir
Thank you for contacting Wayfinder

The information about the Wayfinder maps being updated about four times a month apply to the Wayfinder Navigator Online-program, unfortunately not to the Navicore Personal for Internet Tablet or Wayfinder Navigator™ for Nokia Internet Tablet. At the moment, there are no map updates, but when there are, there will be information on it on our web site.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lumindigo85 For This Useful Post:
As those who've seen my posts in the OS2008 board have seen, I've had nothing but issues with this.

See my last post here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...t=20669&page=2 for a reply I had from Navicore Support.