Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Don't have a wireless router in range of the 770 in my bedroom at home, no access points in range of where I sit at work

But I have bluetooth on all my PCs and Macs.. is there a way to share internet over Bluetooth to the 770?

Perhaps by setting up the PC so it 'pretends to be a phone'?

Is anyone reading this clued up enough about this stuff to point me in the right direction? I've tried various things like creating serial connections and a Bluetooth PAN, but it doesn't seem to work.... (maybe I'm doing it wring though?)

Last edited by dsmudger; 2005-11-10 at 17:47.

I'm trying to do this on linux atm. I can ping my 770 from my computer now, so the local networking works, but I still can't surf. Check out the following links:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO-BluetoothNetworking
(don't forget this: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/DummyIAP )

If anyone has any idea why my pc isn't forwarding the internet traffic, please let me know.

Dont quote me on this but dont you have to bridge the Bluetooth network connection with the LAN connection because of its peer to peer nature - this is assuming the lan is connected to the internet otherwise it would be the dialup or whatever connection.

Buzz

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ La Rochelle, France
I think your problem is related to IP Forwarding

Originally Posted by fredoll
I think your problem is related to IP Forwarding
Probably. I did a quick scan with Ethereal to check what traffic got through when I tried to surf to google.be with my 770, and there was only outgoing (UDP, DNS) traffic, with an unmodified (thus incorrect) source address. (The UDP packets still had the source IP of the 770 in the bluetooth subnet I created.) I think the problem can be solved with IPtables, but don't know how (yet).

OK, thanks so much for the suggestions so far - I'm geting a bit closer:

I've set up a PAN with DHCP on my Windows box, set up the dummy 'DEFAULT' internet connection on the 770 and got paired and connected by bluetooth.

It seems (by observation and according to the tutorial) that the 770 can't pass the DHCP stuff through to the dummy connection (shows "Default router: 0.0.0.0" in connection manager).

The tutorial then goes on to explain how to set this up manually - this is where I'm stuck

I tried to install the ARM compiled ping package from Debian, but it fails saying "Unable to install inetutils-ping. Component is built-in.".

I tried my best to find it on the device, but as far as I can tell, it's not there.

Now I haven't yet managed to become root - could that be the cause??
(don't have a suitable Linux box, haven't managed to get my Mac's command line to see the 770 on USB in order to flash it, even though it shows up as a drive on the desktop... but that's something I need to post about in another thread!)

(as an aside, I had the same problem installing AbiWord at one point - but then found a different .deb that worked OK - could these errors be a hangover from the original Debian that was stripped down to become Internet Tablet 2005 OS?)

I already did it with my sony clie palm. there was a tool (mocha W32 PPP) that simulates a telephone for the palm device. so you can simply dial up ...

my experience: connection was stable, but slower than wlan.

if you understand german, take a look at this:
http://www.bbst.de/pda/anleitungen/i...pp/btppp00.htm
if not:
google for "bluetooth Mocha W32 PPP"

greetz, loki

I also have tried it with a Clie before. Here's a post that I made sometime 2003

http://www.1src.com/forums/showpost....37&postcount=8

Oh wow, thanks so much - that's exactly what I was after

Google searches for various combinations of Bluetooth/phone/emulate/emulator/dial-up etc etc yielded nothing

I'll give it a try right now and report back

It works! Without any tunneling, I'm using iptables to do the NAT'ing (network address translation). I plan on experimenting some more now, and maybe I'll write a little howto later (maybe this afternoon, or next sunday-evening).