Active Topics

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
sachin007: the full-word auto-correction feature is the one I listed as item #2. That one has been around on just about all mobile devices nowadays (including cellphones, even the cheap ones). The Apple implementation improves upon it by letting you enable multiple dictionaries simultaneously, also adding entries from your contact list, and also it learns new words by adding it to a dynamically maintained dictionary (lesser used words will expire after a certain inactive period).

But, point #1 is the seldom known feature of the Apple OSK that is a good bit of sw engineering that Benz145 (and myself) tried to illustrate to you. The effect is very subtle. It's not visible, it doesn't show or hint at the next available letters visually, but it increases your chance of hitting the right letter according to active dictionary(ies).

So, to answer your repeated question, Yes, the apple keyboard can do full-word auto-completion, on top of predicting your next key input.
Okay. even the n800 keyboard remembers your entries and stores them. But i think it cant process multiple dictionaries at the same time.
yeah i know word prediction has been around since a while. So how does the iphone predict the words?
Does it show a list of words on the bottom or does it show a single word while you type the word just like the full screen keypad in the n800?

The next word highlight if i am not wrong is based either on multiple dictionaries or memory right? If that is the case what is the point of highlighting the next letter when it can just give all the options of the combination of letters? Just curious

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
One thing i like the touch screen responsiveness of the iphone/touch. No one can disagree with that. But can they do the same responsiveness with a 800*480 resolution? I personally did not like all the zooming one needs to do to read something which is just straight forward at that resolution. And can they do that when they include plugins like flash, divx, wmv etc? Well if they can do it at this point of time.....then kudos to them. Then i would agree that is a great engineering. But a cut down version of the web with a subpar resolution does not suit my needs even at the expense of losing a slick interface. Of course that is my opinion and you guys may differ. But please please do your research before you purchase either depending what you want and what your priorities are. Clearly the OP wanted a different device than the n800 and i think he did not do his research correctly. But this is a good thread so more people understand what they can get from either device.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
On digg 274 days ago:

http://digg.com/apple/iPhone_Keyboar...iously_Assumed

Just ignore the marketing mumbo jumbo and superlatives to get to the meaty part starting about 1\3rd into the video right after the simple demo of sending an SMS.

Last edited by ysss; 2008-03-28 at 08:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
On digg 274 days ago:

Just ignore the marketing mumbo jumbo and superlatives to get to the meaty part starting about 1\3rd into the video right after the simple demo of sending an SMS.
Wow, you just up'd my iphone experience by 100 fold.

Cool video and really shows what Apple was doing with the keyboard.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Chicago, IL
I tried what they said in the video, but since my fingers are bigger than average human being , it did not apply to me, and it was making mistakes all over the text area... also I don't type with my index finger as I'd like to use my thumb.

Maybe one day I'll buy the Iphone 3.0

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
One thing i like the touch screen responsiveness of the iphone/touch. No one can disagree with that. But can they do the same responsiveness with a 800*480 resolution? I personally did not like all the zooming one needs to do to read something which is just straight forward at that resolution. And can they do that when they include plugins like flash, divx, wmv etc? Well if they can do it at this point of time.....then kudos to them. Then i would agree that is a great engineering. But a cut down version of the web with a subpar resolution does not suit my needs even at the expense of losing a slick interface. Of course that is my opinion and you guys may differ. But please please do your research before you purchase either depending what you want and what your priorities are. Clearly the OP wanted a different device than the n800 and i think he did not do his research correctly. But this is a good thread so more people understand what they can get from either device.
Call me crazy but I've found the iPhone to require a lot less input to navigate large sites. And its ability to scale an entire page to the screen without digging in menus and waiting to rescale is impressive.
I'm not saying the 800x480 res isn't awesome, but it sure is used poorly. It couldn't hurt to have some iPhone speed scaling on the tablets.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
On digg 274 days ago:

huh. I don't think there's anything there that I didn't already know. And, no, I don't think the iPhone keyboard is better than my N810 keyboard. The N810 keyboard isn't perfect (could be a little softer, and give some better feedback on a keypress), but it's much more comfortable to me than the iPhone. Plus, it gives me more screen real estate than the iPhone's does.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
Call me crazy but I've found the iPhone to require a lot less input to navigate large sites.
The whole system is designed to require as little input and navigation as possible without sacrificing functionality. It's quite impressive from a UI point of view.

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Germany
My colleague just got his iPod touch.

The finger ready (G)UI is a lot better than anything at Maemo/Hildon/Canola

I really enjoy Canola2 very much, but controlling iPod touch is another universe. I ever thought I made mistakes with kinetic scrolling in Canola2. Now I know, Canola2 and/or N810 display and/or the libs are the mistake.

Yes, I know, I'm for sure limited with an iPod touch too (codecs, programs) and it doesn't have to much programs (but the existing apps like contacts, mail and calendar really working together). And it doesn't have bluetooth for now.

But this last hour was a really new experience how to control a GUI fast and useful with your fingers only: everyone is true if they say Nokia isn't Apple.

The finger ready (G)UI is a lot better than anything at Maemo/Hildon/Canola
Sure, playing with the "touch" is fun.

But only in the beginning. Once you do serious things, it becomes a mess. I tried to get some stock prices from my favorite site, and it was a total desaster. Due to the small screen, there was a lot of horizontal scrolling necessary and entering the ids of stocks was equally clumsy on the small keyboard.

I don't want to do any serious internet banking with the touch. Especially not with the crappy Citibank website.

All of this is easily possible on the N800.

So it depends very much what you do. There is a reason why there are "iphone ready" websites being made.

But there is no need for a "N800 ready" website. Go figure.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post: