Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
You can use mencoder (part of mplayer) to convert the videos to something you can play in the media player.

By the way, Flash can't access webcams on Linux... so this is most likely a limitation of Flash, not a limitation on the N800. No, I wouldn't want Flash to have access to the camera or microphone either. Closed source apps can't be trusted, especially if they can access the camera or microphone whenever they want. All it takes is one security hole in flash and anyone could listen in or see what you are doing. **** that.

I just want to clarify that mencoder is a part of the mplayer package, but is not packaged as part of mplayer for the tablets.

Last edited by zerojay; 2007-08-20 at 18:46.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
**** that.
Especially in that case.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
By the way, Flash can't access webcams on Linux... so this is most likely a limitation of Flash, not a limitation on the N800. No, I wouldn't want Flash to have access to the camera or microphone either. Closed source apps can't be trusted, especially if they can access the camera or microphone whenever they want. All it takes is one security hole in flash and anyone could listen in or see what you are doing. **** that.
point well taken re: security/trust. although, in the case of the n800 its pretty obvious how to prevent eavesdropping on the video (close the camera). the audio on the other hand... could a "monitor" of some sort be written? "did you know [application X] is using your microphone right now?"

as for "Flash can't access webcams on Linux", i had noticed on adobes flash 9 release notes that they said "only Video4Linux v1 is supported for camera input", so i assumed this meant one could cobble together support for linux in some regard. but i cant confirm this combination, not having tried video4linux in years.

my main interest is in having a tool to send video spontaneously to youtube or maybe stream an event to stickam or something. purely recreational, so maybe in my case i would be willing to flip an (open source) switch to allow flash to use the camera + mic. (seems like you could build a little app to override the power of flash to get to the hardware. but i digress.)

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
My vote is in, #2.

I'm know I'm reviving an old topic, but just wanted to add my support for Video support in the Flash library! I voted on the bug in bugzilla. Maybe the nokia people can get this working?

It's an issue for Macrodobe, not Nokia.

For some reason, last year when Macrodobe were adding webcam support to Flash for linux, they decided to add support for the completely obsolete V4L1 standard, instead of the current V4L2 (which is the driver API most modern webcams adopt on linux.)

Also see: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/

Last edited by johnsto; 2008-03-27 at 20:11.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Bug made. Vote it up.
"Note: this isn't a browser task. We don't have resources to do it. It's only
dumped in this component because there's no other place for it (corporate policies)."

AND

"Note: the browser team has no knowledge of multimedia APIs, the best and only support I can offer is cross referencing of modules."

So...

Who's our savior?

Hmm - check out this article: http://swifthumors.blogspot.com/2008...-headache.html

Looks like he's working on a new version - going to see where I can get with this one!

Since we've gotten the camera to work on the EEE PC with Linux, I wonder if there has been any luck using the vloopback hack to make it work on the N800 or N810. If it does, I would buy an N810 in a heartbeat.