Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Then again, from discussions and polls it has become clear that many (if not most) see the Pandora as an UMPC/PMP/Itablet/games console, a variety of tasks which fits the hardware like a spray-on glove.
Have they decided on which version of Linux it'll run (if so, which?)?

Has anyone committed to delivering PIM apps for it?

And do they have a delivery time frame and MSRP yet?

(just curious)

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Is such a thing even possible?
Yes. It will have a bank of switches and a pushbutton. When you mess up the boot-loader, you hold down the push-button during power-on; the switches are then connected to the processor's bus, allowing you to set the switches and push the button to input one instruction at a time.

The 300-page hex dump of the OS may thus be entered, restoring the device from its bricked state.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-03-31 at 16:51.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Heh. Just pray no moths get into the tubes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by OppositeOfIgnorance View Post
n800's are overpriced as hell; anybody found any for under $200 (that arent refurbs)?
I got mine brand new from Dell for $199 CDN. And I don't know what you expect to get for less than that? Certainly not a handheld computer. Or were you comparing to a Zire 22?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BoxOfSnoo For This Useful Post:
Pandoras not a competitor until they can actually make one, its hard to get excited about somthing that doesn't yet exist.

The gigabyte M528 is another story, its real and has some real good looking software running on it, the only issue is the price, more than double a n810 from the video i watched.

So likey i won't be buying one if the estimated price is accurate, but since nokia is helping the ubuntu guys with hildon i think its a safe bet our ITs can benefit from the work going into moblin.

Last edited by HellToupee; 2008-04-01 at 02:34.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Well, I can render anything and say that it would cost nine bucks, but it wouldn't be a real competitor to the NIT Lets see the release of Pandora and only then compare

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
The new RealPlayer for MID is the first media player on this platform that, out of the box, is enabled to decode most popular and standard media formats (RealMedia, Windows Media, MP3, MPEG4, H.264, AAC, AAC+, VC-1 and Ogg).
and
.....a MID will be able to handle a 1080p video
http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/ne...p?storyid=1387
Just a shame that it has to be a proprietary solution from Real Networks

Some more details on the 20 MID manufacturers already lined up.
http://www.umpcportal.com/modules/ne...p?storyid=1386

More information on the performance we can expect, with specific reference to the Gigabyte M528 and speculation as what this will do to Archos dominance in the niche PMP market.
http://www.carrypad.com/2008/04/mids...-end-pmps.html

Is there any point to viewing 1080p on a 800x480 screen? (I mean, even if the processor can handle all the downsampling to make it play, the result will probably look worse than a more modest video that actually fits the width of the screen).

Originally Posted by Drewvt View Post
Is there any point to viewing 1080p on a 800x480 screen? (I mean, even if the processor can handle all the downsampling to make it play, the result will probably look worse than a more modest video that actually fits the width of the screen).
Output to an external display.

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
Have they decided on which version of Linux it'll run (if so, which?)?

Has anyone committed to delivering PIM apps for it?

And do they have a delivery time frame and MSRP yet?

(just curious)
Debian-Linux or like debian, but definitely linux. Well, PIM apps are already in existence so its a matter of just getting the arm package.

Late spring.