Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I seriously hope they're not going down the "everything but the kitchen sink" route with the 770. Faster WiFi is not wrong, although I find that I rarely get to even a fraction of the potential of /G-WiFi, which should be fast enough for media playback.

But rather than build a camera into the device, why not update the Bluetooth profile and controlling software so that users can easily pair any device they might need at that moment? BT keyboard, BT webcam, BT headphones, the list goes on...

The N770 still has lots of stuff that needs to be fix and refine; now they're talking about things that are useless or can be incorperated easily. The n770 just don't have enough juice and cpu power to add a web cam, beside u can add one with the usb. As for faster wifi, same arguement with battery and cpu + mem to use such high speed. As for the sim card thing, I don't like it either but I need it (so I can get rid of my phone); I live in the san francisco bay area and wifi is not around every block let alone FREE. And has anyone check out the t-mobile hot spot crap and the amount of money they want to charge?
- Fix the N770 so that it can read 1+gig memory card or use SD cards.
- Upgrade the N770 so that we can have a maemopad+ and todo and browser and gtalk open at the same time or mininize the wait between switching apps.
- Upgrade and improve the video and audio players to fully take advantage of the excellent screen size.
- Handle Asian language to improve overall sales (asians in asia are gadget freaks who don't care about price)
Anyone else want to add to list of improvements.

Originally Posted by acdczip
- Fix the N770 so that it can read 1+gig memory card
That one, at least, is done.

Yeah, they should fix the little things first so we can all use our 770s without the minors bugs THEN start worrying about what we're doing with them.

And I don't get this idea about adding cameras (crappy ones too) to every device under the sun. I used to work for a largish GPS nav gear maker and management there came up with the brilliant (hah) idea of adding a camera to in car GPS nav units. They finally did it and it's a crap camera and it has no real practical use. Us engineers argued with them as to what it is for but we never did get a technical reason or use only the usual story from management that it would give us product differentiation and is another thing to stick on the box. I CAN see how a web cam might be useful on the 770 though given it is an Internet device. It's funny but the article almost sounds like they are going to use the web cam to spy on users to see what we do with the device

Surely Nokia would know from their phone experiences that sure there will always people who will buy something with every gadget imaginable under the sun on it but there will be lots more who just want something simple that does the basic things you need and does them flawlessly. How many people like simple, easy to use cellphones. Lots I know.

I like my 770 and the things it does now. I wish it would do some of them a little better (the email app is crap, every window, inbox, message, replies, use the same damn icon!) but generally I am happy with it. Hopefully the production OS will fix a lot of the minor bugs and I can just enjoy using the thing every day.

Posts: 564 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fayetteville, GA
- Upgrade the browser [to make it compatable with more websites]
- Upgrade the Flash to version 7 at least [an Adobe problem, I know]
- A true voip client that provides for the registration of a phone # to call from/to.
- More audio/video format options [wmv, ogg, etc.]
- We want as many bluetooth accessories to work as possible! [mice, keyboards, headsets, gps...]

If Nokia can get 3 of those 5 things into the current hardware I'd be set, but I believe all that and more is very possible.
3pm - So good, it's illegal

Originally Posted by acdczip
- Handle Asian language to improve overall sales (asians in asia are gadget freaks who don't care about price)

Nokia Internet Tablet Next Generation Wish List
  • Same number of pixels but bigger screen. The super-fine pixel density is wasted on us Baby Boomers. I always have to zoom to at least 150%.
  • Enter into a bundling deal with O'Reilly Safari Bookshelf. It seems the two would make a beautiful marriage. Maybe something like if you purchase a Nokia 770 and signup for a Safari Max account you get a $100 dollar rebate after 6 months. I'm convinced that in 5 years, college students won't be lugging around heavy text books in their backpacks anymore.
  • Further integration with web services, as was done with the integration of Google Talk in the 2006 OS edition. It would be nice to view Picasa Web Albums slideshows full screen, without any browser chrome.
  • A convenient docking station for recharging. Except for trips, I mainly use the n770 around the house. I picture myself eventually buying three. One for the living room, one for the kitchen, and one to have on my nightstand next to my bed. It would be nice to just plop it down in a docking station. I could also keep it in the docking station while listening to streaming radio while having my morning coffee in the kitchen.

Last edited by GenD; 2006-06-22 at 20:00.

Originally Posted by GenD
A convenient docking station for recharging. Except for trips, I mainly use the n770 around the house. I picture myself eventually buying three. One for the living room, one for the kitchen, and one to have on my nightstand next to my bed. It would be nice to just plop it down in a docking station. I could also keep it in the docking station while listening to streaming radio while having my morning coffee in the kitchen.[/list]
A docking station is a great idea! I leave my 770 beside my bed at night connected to the net, so I can get my email, and connected to the charger to rejuice it. A station you just sit it into would be great. In fact you've inspired me, I might make my own

How about a spatial-time disruption device addon, so you can control the universe around you like on `Click`