Hi,

I played around with running notes from xterm. I was curious if there was a way to open a specific file with notes from xterm? I tried /usr/bin/osso_notes <filename> but it didn't work.

I used vi in college but it's a distant memory now.

Thanks!

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Hi,

I played around with running notes from xterm. I was curious if there was a way to open a specific file with notes from xterm? I tried /usr/bin/osso_notes <filename> but it didn't work.

I used vi in college but it's a distant memory now.

Thanks!
Install leafpad, that's what you might need. Beware, the notes from the built-in notes app are in HTML. Leafpad is a plain text editor startable via xterm or Desktop; it's as easy as notepad from m$.

The Following User Says Thank You to gammer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Install leafpad, that's what you might need.
Yeah, leafpad's better.
Beware, the notes from the built-in notes app are in HTML. Leafpad is a plain text editor startable via xterm or Desktop; it's as easy as notepad from m$.
Not really; the notes app can open and save two file types, plain text or (limited) HTML. Unfortunately, it's not horribly easy to work with, as it doesn't give you the option of squashing an html back to text to save it. So, change the font, and now it's an html, and will be saved as such without letting you know. Brilliant!

Thanks for the tip, I thought I remembered seeing mention of leafpad but couldn't find it in Maemo under OS2008.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Yeah, leafpad's better.

Not really; the notes app can open and save two file types, plain text or (limited) HTML. Unfortunately, it's not horribly easy to work with, as it doesn't give you the option of squashing an html back to text to save it. So, change the font, and now it's an html, and will be saved as such without letting you know. Brilliant!
Ok, but if you just make notes and you do not worry about the format then it will be html. Unfortunately, there's seemingly no way to change the ugly default font for the "plain text" mode. Therefore it's almost useless for plain text notes. If you prefer formatted (html) notes then you need a script to start osso-notes from cmd line - I do not have one

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Thanks for the tip, I thought I remembered seeing mention of leafpad but couldn't find it in Maemo under OS2008.
Would be sad! I still use OS2007 because of the zoom/fit deficiencies of microb on OS2008. Hopefully the next OS update will convince me to switch ...

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)

Thanks, I was just about to report that my attempt to install the OS2007 version failed =)