Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Hey Ukki!

Okay, so I uploaded a good dozen or more game settings with the your latest Rubybox version.

But right now, I don't think I'm getting what all that did.

Am I just backing up my own personal settings that can only be seen by me and the same goes for others as well?

I thought the whole purpose of this was to share info with each other here.

Is there a way to see what everyone else has contributed too or isn't that your design on this?
There is no way to actually browse what profiles users have added, but they are for everyone to use. RubyBox uses game name and checksum of the .exe to search for matches. For example if you add a game named ultima to list and press import, it should (currently) find two hits and ask which one to import. Same should happen if you add the same ultima 5 .exe, no matter what you name the game.

Do you guys want to be able to browse the profiles?

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Do you guys want to be able to browse the profiles?
Yes please.

Anything at all would be nice, I'm not asking for much.

But yeah, seeing a list of what others have contributed as well would be nice.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Yes please.

Anything at all would be nice, I'm not asking for much.

But yeah, seeing a list of what others have contributed as well would be nice.
Well considering the userbase consists of three users, I'm not implementing this into RubyBox just yet But I hope browser works for you.

RubyBox gamelist

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Cool ukki! I've got a few games I'll be adding to the list soon.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Ah nuts!

Somehow I managed to make my Nokia go into seizure mode since any little thing I did would cause it to suffer a horrible, searing death and lock up on me.

Well, I did a fresh reflash but for some reason Rubybox won't load up.

Dosbox works just fine and even fires up the Xkbd if I click on it from the menu, but with Rubybox I'm getting poop squat.

I didn't receive any errors when installing all of the required junk so I don't have a clue what is missing.

Any chance someone could post step by step what all is needed and in what order, including when I need to be in Red Pill mode and root?

Thanks a bunch.

And yeah, I've got a few more game settings I'd like to upload as well.

Addison, the only thing I did when I installed RubyBox was follow the instructions by ArnimS. Sorry man that's all the help I can give you.

Here are 5 games that work very well in DosBox 0.72 chinook (n8x0) build #1.

I selected these games since I am fairly familiar with them in that I was a level designer for two of them (Jetpack and Gods of Thunder) and beta-tested all of them. Plus and most importantly, all these games are now FREEWARE which allows everyone here a chance to play the full complete registered versions….legally & without any moral trepidation!

I was very interested if the games would play well on my N800 device compared to the PC, and also whether they would fare well with a bare-bones tablet without a keyboard. I find these games play extremely well in DosBox when I attach my IGo Stowaway keyboard. But to get the games to work without the keyboard and with just the keys on the N800, I had to change some settings in the mapper.txt file. So with my mappercsa.txt file, the key layout is like this:

The scrolling keys (left, up, right, down, and middle button for Enter) and Esc key have been left alone. However, the other keys have been redefined to work better with these games since most of them require the Ctrl and Alt keys. IMO with this remapping these games play quite well on just a normal N800. Look Ma, no keyboard!

Also when using the mappercsa.txt file, the following keys have been redefined as follows and work great using the latest Addison keyboard layouts for XKBD. The reason I used these function keys is because most of these games don’t make use of them. :

F9 – full screen toggle
F10 – cycles down
F11 – cycles up
F12 – exit and quit out of game

Before I tackle the games…A SPECIAL THANKS to ArnimS for his fine-tuning of DosBox so that these games run so well, ukki for his easy to use RubyBox front-end for DosBox, and Addison for his fantastic version of the XKBD keyboard. You’ve guys have really helped make playing the old DOS games on the tablet easy and fun.

Special Note: I have exported all the special settings of these games for easy setup if you want to use RubyBox’s import button.

And now the games………

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Bio Menacea side-scrolling action game from Apogee. You are Snake Logan up against a city of horrific mutants! This is a fast-paced, shoot everything that moves type of game....good blasting fun!

Download the FULL GAME here.

Settings:
cpu cycles 650
render frameskip 5
mixer prebuffer 400
sdl mapperfile /usr/share/dosbox/mappercsa.txt

Game Executable: Depending on the episode you want to play, select either BMENACE1.EXE, BMENACE2.EXE, or BEMENACE3.EXE.

Controls:
Custom configure them in the Configure/Use Keyboard menu. There’s 3 commands: Jump, Fire, and Grenades. You can configure a key for Grenades, but you can also easily throw grenades by holding down the Up Arrow and then hitting the key you’ve configured for Fire.

Important!!: This game only plays well if you turn off the score box. You can turn this on and off either in the Configure/Options menu or by hitting the Backspace key while in the game. Try playing the game with it on and you’ll see how the entire game slows way down.

Warning!!: There is a Boss key feature in Bio Menace. If you hit the F9 key, it shows a DOS prompt. The F9 key is also the key I’ve remapped in the mappercsa.txt file for turning fullscreen on and off. So just be aware that if you use this key to flip fullscreen on or off, then the DOS prompt will appear. Hitting the Esc key will take you out of the DOS screen to the game.

Positives: Great gameplay, graphics, sounds, and music! Plus the full game is FREE!!
Negatives: None!

DosBox Issues: None!
Overall game rating: 5 stars out of 5

Last edited by Pushwall; 2008-04-18 at 12:21.

Jetpacka nerve-jolting action game with a very cool game editor! You play as a jetpack-flying adventurer collecting gems while avoiding enemies and deathly dangers.

Get HINTBOOK here - highly recommended to get through some of the tougher levels.

Settings:
cpu cycles 500
render frameskip 2

Note: Increase cpu cycles to speed up the game and make it harder, or decrease cpu cycles to slow down the game and make it easier.

Game Executable: JETPACK.EXE

Controls:
Alt – use jetpack to fly
Ctrl – phazer (to phase thru objects)
Arrow keys to move and fly around

To save your game progress you use Alt-S on the screen between levels. The Alt-S combo on the XKBD keyboard doesn’t work. Since my mappercsa.txt file has remapped the tablet’s hard keys, you hold down the ‘+’ key on top of the tablet (that’s been remapped as the Alt key) and while holding it down, tap on the ‘s’ key on the XKBD keyboard.

Game Editor:
The game editor comes free with the game. This is one of the best features of Jetpack since it is so darn easy and intuitive to use. It is without a doubt extremely addictive! I do however recommend that you use it on the PC to make levels since it is much faster and the bigger screen of the PC helps. But the editor does work on the tablet, and you can easily make your own custom game levels and instantly play what you have created. Read the MANUAL.TXT file in the Jetpack directory for all the editor keyboard controls.

Other Comments:
There is a Christmas version of Jetpack with 10 different levels you can play too. Instead of collecting gems, you fly around as Santa Claus leaving presents. To switch to the Christmas version run JSWITCH.EXE located in the main Jetpack directory.

There are literally hundreds and hundreds of custom levels plus new graphics for Jetpack. Go to the Jetpack website and you’ll find near the bottom of the page a link list of all the custom levels you can download and play.

Positives: Extremely fun with lots of action and animations to watch on the screen. The game comes with a nice game editor so you can make your own game levels, and there are hundreds of user-developed levels so you’ll never be bored with the game. Plus the full game is FREE!!
Negatives: None!

DosBox Issues: None!
Overall game rating: 5 stars out of 5

God of Thundera puzzle-action-adventure game. You are Thor with an enchanted hammer that always returns whenever you throw it. Journey through Midgard trying to save the land by battling monsters and figuring your way through dangerous traps!

Get HINTBOOK here.

Game Executable: GOT.EXE

Settings:
cpu cycles 700
render frameskip 6
sdl fullscreen true
dos xms false
mixer prebuffer 400

Important!!! - You need to make sure you set this game to run fullscreen since it uses the full height of the display screen.

Controls:
Alt – throw hammer
Space – select item
Ctrl – use item
Arrow keys – move around
Esc (during gameplay) – options menu so you can set various things including Sound/Music (if the music gets on your nerves then turn it off!), Skill Level, Save or Load Game, Die, Turbo Mode, and Quit.

Important!!: Be sure and set Turbo Mode to on when you initially start the game to speed up monsters and character movement. If you run into spots where the game is too tough with the creatures, then you can temporarily switch it off.

Positives: This game has it all…action, adventure, and brain-twisting puzzles! Control-wise it is a game that is perfect to play on the Nokia tablets. Plus the full game is FREE!!
Negative: A minor slowdown issue in a few levels (see below).

DosBox Issues: There is a slight slowdown in game speed when you run into a level with hordes of enemies on the screen! Not a major issue, so only 1/4 point off the total game rating I would normally give the game.
Overall game rating: 4.75 stars out of 5