Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Would anyone be willing to recompile Xkbd so that it would accept the argument
xkbd -geometry +0+0

For some reason it won't allow one to locate the keyboard on the very top left side of the screen, only one over and one down from there is the best that can be done unless you type in
xkbd -geometry -1-1 (from a full screen X terminal, which unfortunately breaks the minimize/maximize feature)

Even better yet, any chance there's a way to have it automatically launch for the top left side of the screen instead of the bottom right?

Thanks ahead if anyone will take on this challenge!

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
New version of XKBD built for OS2008! Includes Addison/OSEmuTech's vertical keyboard and my single-row bottom keyboard (in /usr/share/xkbd directory)

Seems to run a bit more reliably (here) though i do still get some glitches.

http://pupnik.de/xkbd.html

Also new '08 dosbox release which launches the great vertical left-hand-side keyboard by default (and closes it when dosbox exits).

http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
New version of XKBD built for OS2008! Includes Addison/OSEmuTech's vertical keyboard and my single-row bottom keyboard (in /usr/share/xkbd directory)

Seems to run a bit more reliably (here) though i do still get some glitches.

http://pupnik.de/xkbd.html

Also new '08 dosbox release which launches the great vertical left-hand-side keyboard by default (and closes it when dosbox exits).

http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html
New version of DosBox is great, launching the keyboard automatically is a BIG help.

As I posted in the other thread however, the keyboard still doesn't work very well in 2008 (at least for me). It repeats the same key over and over no matter what your actually clicking on and tends to crash and close often.

I can not find the configuration file for the normal xkbd install (not the one in dosbox) so that I can change that layout to one of the others, Where is it stored? Thanks!

-John

Not really working at all for me on N800/OS2008 I'm seeing a mixture of problems:

1) Pressing virtuals keys results in the shifted version being sent, regardless of whether the virtual shift is pressed.

2) Often, pressing a key just sends a random shifted letter (e.g. I pressed '1', and 'W' was sent)

3) Frequent crashes with X BadValue error in XTEST/X_XTestFakeInput X11 op. (major=132, minor=2).

4) Sometimes seems to break the built-in virtual keyboard, leaving nothing but a white bar with the letters 'abc' at the right-hand end. Rebooting the device is the only way I've found to get the keyboard back.

Update: sorry, should have mentioned: this is with http://pupnik.de/xkbd_0.8.15m-2_armel.deb.

Last edited by desht; 2008-03-06 at 15:29.

I am trying to use xkbd with KeePass. Whenever I bring up xkbd, I get

[2] Done /usr/bin/xkbd
~ $ Sorry - server Keyboard map doesn't contain either 2 or 4 KeySyms per Keycode - unsupported!
~ $ X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XTEST)
Minor opcode of failed request: 2 (X_XTestFakeInput)
Value in failed request: 0x5
Serial number of failed request: 1758
Current serial number in output stream: 1762

Eventually xkbd crashes. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Denny

Has anyone got xkbd working with any other languages besides english.
While having my n800 using the finnish localization the xkbd behaved quite alike what desht described. Changing maemo system language to english solved the problem, but I'm quite keen a and o with dots used in finnish. Rebooting tablet everytime i want to play dos-games doesn't sound tempting.

Originally Posted by dennylee View Post
I am trying to use xkbd with KeePass. Whenever I bring up xkbd, I get

[2] Done /usr/bin/xkbd
~ $ Sorry - server Keyboard map doesn't contain either 2 or 4 KeySyms per Keycode - unsupported!
~ $ X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XTEST)
Minor opcode of failed request: 2 (X_XTestFakeInput)
Value in failed request: 0x5
Serial number of failed request: 1758
Current serial number in output stream: 1762

Eventually xkbd crashes. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Denny
I had a very similar problem just recently, but have re-installed and it seems to be working better now - I'm keeping an eye on it.

Is this still the best way to get a virtual keyboard for things like dosbox and the atari800 emulator? I've been having the same problems as desht. Anyone been able to get it to work well?
Thanks.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
Do any of these keyboards or keyboard layouts include support for arrow keys or the numeric keypad? none of the included ones for xkbd seem to have it... and you need those for some games.

The arrow keys are the d-pad; while that's not the greatest in the world, it's mostly better than on-screen.