It works for me just fine as is. I use a PDair cover and no light gets through that. Having the screen come on when I pop open the cover is great!

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Friday Harbor, WA, USA
I tried this out last night, reading and surfing in bed in the dark. Holding my n810 in my left hand, and floating my index finger over the sensor (which i somehow do unconsciously) seemed to work well. I put my IT in it's sleeve in the evening, and saw it wake up a couple of times, but because it was in its sleeve, it went back to sleep shortly. So far, I love this app! Thanks so much for your time on it!

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Just posting to see if anyone else is experiencing a memory leak after installing this app.

I've used it for a few days and today noticed a good chunk (~60 MB) of my swap was being used by dbus even though nothing else was really running. I had to remove the battery to clear the swap when usually a simple reboot does the trick.

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Wow. A lot of discussion over my simple program
thanks for this - it works great!

Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Right now it also turns the screen on when uncovered - maybe that wasn't a good idea.
I like that feature! Just slide it out of the case and its ready to go

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Unfortunately for two times my n810 refused to reactivate screen and keyboard even in bright light, and I needed to reboot :-( For now, I uninstalled it even if I liked it very much,

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Unfortunately for two times my n810 refused to reactivate screen and keyboard even in bright light, and I needed to reboot :-( For now, I uninstalled it even if I liked it very much,
Yup, I had the same problem. I was in dim light so it kept locking/unlocking. It locked as soon as I activated the Personal Menu. The menu never loaded and the system wouldn't unlock no matter what. I like the idea of this program a lot, but it's not suitable for dim light conditions. Perhaps someone will pick up the project and expand on its functionality.

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Rochester NY
Is there some trick to getting autolock to work or are there any incompatibilities with it and other apps? I installed it, and even reboot my 810 and it doesn't seem to do anything. I can see the process running in 'ps' (xterm), and can see the enable/disable info banners when using the lock switch. I know my meter is reading 0, and the keyboard isnt open but still no auto locking.

I must be missing something here.

memory leak confirmed - it got to the point where all other
apps were swapping out. Just not worth the bother, but in
principle it is a good idea.

Im not sure its working for me either. Ive got my 810 sitting in a dark room with the light sensor covered and it doesn't seem to shut off any faster then the display timeout. Conversely, I can hold it under a bright, direct light (a few hundred lux) and it dosent wake up.

Scratch all that, it works fine, I just wasnt sure if I had enabled it or not. So convenient!

Last edited by Borgel; 2008-05-25 at 22:32. Reason: Correction

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
I thought about a derivative software of this application:
Once the sensor "senses" bright sunlight, the app could completely reduce the backlight of the N810. This would help conserve energy that would otherwise be wasted (in bright sunlight, the backlight is irrelevant).
Would that make sense or be practical?

Tags
autolock, light sensor