Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Originally Posted by nedim View Post
You would make your outbound calls through Gizmo, so you need to have credit with them. Grandcentral will only provide you with incoming forwarded number to your Gizmo account.
Nope, you can make free outbound calls thru Grandcentral. There is a thread on this forum on how to set it up.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ NY Metro Area, US
Originally Posted by bluesubaru View Post
Nope, you can make free outbound calls thru Grandcentral. There is a thread on this forum on how to set it up.
If you are referring to Click2Call that is not a true outbound calling in a sense that you can pick up your phone and dial. Unless I missed some cool feature of GC you still need some other number that GC calls to connect to the number you are trying to call. Further more this approach requires a pc. There is no way to my knowledge to setup a VOIP (SIP) device where you can just pickup your phone and dial, which makes that an awkward solution at best. In other words GC is not a SIP provider. Places like Gizmo, FWD, IPKall etc. allow you to use standard SIP router and hook up your plain-old analog phone to it.

So at best, GC gives you free _local_ number that you can use for inbound calls. If you don't care for local part, Gizmo gives you free area 775 number that is reachable from POTS.

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on May 2007 @ BKNYC
with the grandcentral dialer, i'm able to call anybody for free...
even without them being on my GC address book.
not sure if thats the click2call feature....not even sure it was intended by GC.
hey but it works.
search for GC dialer.

Originally Posted by nedim View Post
If you are referring to Click2Call that is not a true outbound calling in a sense that you can pick up your phone and dial. Unless I missed some cool feature of GC you still need some other number that GC calls to connect to the number you are trying to call. Further more this approach requires a pc. There is no way to my knowledge to setup a VOIP (SIP) device where you can just pickup your phone and dial, which makes that an awkward solution at best. In other words GC is not a SIP provider. Places like Gizmo, FWD, IPKall etc. allow you to use standard SIP router and hook up your plain-old analog phone to it.

So at best, GC gives you free _local_ number that you can use for inbound calls. If you don't care for local part, Gizmo gives you free area 775 number that is reachable from POTS.

see I realize that I can call out with gizmo, but you have to pay for it like $20 for 1,000mins of callout, I'm looking for a free alternative like grandcentral but I still have yet to get a number from them, hopefully they open back up the invites

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
The GC dialer was an inspiration of mine after an afternoon of playing the m.grandcentral.com site. Someone else took it and made it into a real os2008 application. It allows you to enter a number and hit dial. It will, will do what is necessary to invoke the GC callback mechanism based on how your NIT browser is setup. You do need to preconfigure a few settings through m.grandcentral.com, but after that it's free calling.

anyone think grandcentral will open up invites again before it goes public past the beta stage?