Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
If you make a small computer-like device, you can go three ways:

1) Make it keyboard-centric, in which case you're basically going to produce a Psion (or a Pandora -- hehe); the clamshell design has (for the user, that is) several clear advantages, such as compactness, built-in screen protection and recognizeability. The user interface can be great (Psion's SIBO and EPOC are simply marvelous) or quite stupid (the Wince crowd), but simple text entering will always be quite straightforward. The reason I preferred Psion's offerings to Wincies, is that Psions have always been real, standalone computers, which allowed the user to do everything he could do on his Big Box.

2) You could decide to make a tablet, and then the user interface suddenly becomes very important: A tablet cannot be interacted with in the same way as a keyboarded computer, at least not without invoking serious frustration from the user. There have been two good tablet interfaces sofar: Palm and Newton. Palms however were always designed as computer companions, not primary devices; the Newton OTOH was designed from the ground up as a stylus-operated, handwriting-centric main computer.

3) The thrid choice is to make a content-serving device, or what is basically known as a PMP. There's gazillions of them around and they're quite good at serving up content, but pretty lousy at actually processing stuff.

It seems to me Nokia tried to market a PMP as a portable computer...
Hmmm, unassailable breakdown. Well, I completely agree with you regarding the ease of input that comes with a well implemented hardware keyboard. Now, I'm not sure, as in I have not used, a thumbsized keyboard for anything serious, so I'm not sure how convinced I am of it's utility in the larger scheme of things, say when I'd like to use the IT as a laptop replacement. I guess, if I were to be completely honest, I'd like to see Nokia implement a "profile" manager, with a "lightweight" profile comprising a finger driven UI(and perhaps the majority of the functions accessible in this profile would be PMP functions), a "welterweight" profile comprising a stylus driven UI (menus galore, options by the thousands), and a "heavyweight" profile which assumes that you have a keyboard (bluetooth) and intend to use the IT as a laptop replacement.

Posts: 127 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
I'd like to see Nokia implement a "profile" manager, with a "lightweight" profile comprising a finger driven UI(and perhaps the majority of the functions accessible in this profile would be PMP functions), a "welterweight" profile comprising a stylus driven UI (menus galore, options by the thousands), and a "heavyweight" profile which assumes that you have a keyboard (bluetooth) and intend to use the IT as a laptop replacement.
something like the eee "easy" or "expert" profiles. one is finger based and will do basic stuff like a itouch and the other like a 500mhz laptop with a full blown linux distro.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by iamNarada View Post
When you say handwritten interface, are you referring primarily to handwriting recognition for text entry? (I'm assuming you are ....correct me) and saying that this is advantageous because of increased input speed, ease of use....? I didn't get to use the Newton (before my time), and I haven't used the handwriting capabilities of my NIT, so I'm honestly at a lost as to the killer app that comes with the stylus and/or a handwriting interface.
Well, don't confuse the handwriting of the NIT with the newton. The newton had proper handwriting recognition that worked, but more than that, the newton was designed to be used with a pen in that everything was designed to be used with handwriting that made sense to do so, or failing that, widgets designed to be used with a pen. The NIT is based on a small computer system, designed to be used with a keyboard and mouse, with an onscreen keyboard to make up for the lack of keyboard.
It went way beyond just typing (remembering that you didn't have to convert handwriting on the newton - it was happy to leave it there). If you want to copy text from one application to another on the newton (not always that necessary as other applications could read the data), you selected the text and dragged it to the edge of the screen. It stuck there. Then you switched to the other application (it didn't have the one application thing in front like maemo) and dragged it back.

When someone goes on about the newton people think 'oh it was the handwriting recognition', but although the handwriting recognition was excelent (in fact pretty unbeaten for conversion until the tablet PC), what really set the newton apart is that every part was designed from scratch to be used purely with a pen, rather than squashed down from a desktop user interface.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Fair enough, a pen/stylus optimized UI. Not adapted from anything else, but designed from scratch specifically for pen use. I'd like that, but as an option. Honestly, I can't write with a pen as fast a I can with a keyboard, and there are instances when it's easier to just use my finger. I'd like all three. Admittedly, I haven't programmed anything since the one class I had (a thousand years ago) as an undergrad, so I don't know how involved (read: doable) it is to implement multiple UI and be able to switch between them. Maybe it is unreasonable, but that doesn't stop me from wanting it :P.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I think you're overreacting to Roope's comments. What he said does not preclude stylus HWR... just that he believes the main focus should be on finger friendliness.

I'm an employee too... and many times what I say about direction is my own opinion.
Hi. For the specific issue of handwriting, I do stand by my original comment. Any sensible form of handwriting requires stylus usage, and therefore a stylus usable UI. It would make very little sense to go towards finger usability while insisting on a stylus usable input method.

As a purely personal opinion, the stylus must be killed, the sooner the better. It's good for specific limited operations, but it's about the single geekiest part of using a PDA or a tablet. Mass market acceptance will never come with a device requiring extensive use of the stylus. The slideout keyboard in the N810 is the first stab in the physical domain, but for the health of the platform the onscreen methods need also to be kept healthy.

Practically I see also very little interest in handwriting solutions, even those that Karel is praising. If HWR really would be the killer input method, those solutions would be very much more popular than what they are. The situation is of course different with certain scripts, like Japanese and Chinese, but for Western input the virtual keyboards are simply faster to use and require much less effort, both physically and mentally from the users than what handwriting does. I don't see this changing. If Apple owns the Best Ever handwriting input method and engine, then I don't really see much light coming even from their direction in this issue.

Then again, I'm only an interaction designer. If some manager higher up wishes otherwise, then what I say has rather little significance.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Maybe it's my complete lack of imagination, but when I look at the clumsy, big UI-elements of finger driven devices (and this includes those absurdly big menus and scrollbars in OS2008), I don't see how they could efficiently handle menus and dialogues with lots of options.
Somthing like XChat, for example, with its sub-menus and 100 options... it's hard for me to imagine how a finger-driven UI could handle all this without breaking it down into even more sub-menus and sub-sub-windows/tabs, thus making it totally unusable.
(But, as I said, maybe it's just my lack of imagination. Surprise me with something that works. I still wouldn't use it because I hate finger taps on my screen, but it'd be interesting to see.)
I'd say the right solution would be not to have 100 different options for a small application. Once again imho it has vastly too much settings, I'm a rather advanced user and still even I have difficulties in actually doing anything sensible with those settings.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Practically I see also very little interest in handwriting solutions, even those that Karel is praising. If HWR really would be the killer input method, those solutions would be very much more popular than what they are. The situation is of course different with certain scripts, like Japanese and Chinese, but for Western input the virtual keyboards are simply faster to use and require much less effort, both physically and mentally from the users than what handwriting does.
I find handwriting much faster than a virtual keyboard. Nowhere near as fast as a real keyboard.

I don't see this changing. If Apple owns the Best Ever handwriting input method and engine, then I don't really see much light coming even from their direction in this issue.
Apple don't though. All they have is the rosetta printed writing engine which is no better than anyone else.
Microsoft appear to have the proper handwriting stuff now, and I beleive it is built into vista. However it is only there as a little option, as all you can do with it is use it in place of text fields, which is little to no advantage.

The Following User Says Thank You to tabletrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Hi. For the specific issue of handwriting, I do stand by my original comment. Any sensible form of handwriting requires stylus usage, and therefore a stylus usable UI. It would make very little sense to go towards finger usability while insisting on a stylus usable input method.

As a purely personal opinion, the stylus must be killed, the sooner the better. It's good for specific limited operations, but it's about the single geekiest part of using a PDA or a tablet. Mass market acceptance will never come with a device requiring extensive use of the stylus. The slideout keyboard in the N810 is the first stab in the physical domain, but for the health of the platform the onscreen methods need also to be kept healthy.

Practically I see also very little interest in handwriting solutions, even those that Karel is praising. If HWR really would be the killer input method, those solutions would be very much more popular than what they are. The situation is of course different with certain scripts, like Japanese and Chinese, but for Western input the virtual keyboards are simply faster to use and require much less effort, both physically and mentally from the users than what handwriting does. I don't see this changing. If Apple owns the Best Ever handwriting input method and engine, then I don't really see much light coming even from their direction in this issue.

Then again, I'm only an interaction designer. If some manager higher up wishes otherwise, then what I say has rather little significance.
Obviously we see things differently.

I agree to the extent that the UI should heavily favor finger usage-- but I also believe the stylus should be kept and highly-specific functions for it be supported-- including HWR. I don't know what such an approach would hurt. Let users who wish to do so pull the stylus out when it suits them.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I'd say the right solution would be not to have 100 different options for a small application. Once again imho it has vastly too much settings, I'm a rather advanced user and still even I have difficulties in actually doing anything sensible with those settings.
Well, there are applications that need many options. I use Xchat *because* of its power. You can use others if you dont like that. Use notepad instead of word, the calculator instead of excel. It's all a matter of personal preference. Less options means less power, but it's easier to use then.

However, saying a UI can be overly simple because applications should not have many options in the first place is somewhat irritating.

I don't use xchat, so I don't know specifically, but I think that in general things with 100 options should be command line or config file based. Now things (like a word processor) with 100 actions are different, but if you've really got 100 settings, they don't belong in a menu or setting dialog; at best you might have a settings dialog for the most common ones, and good documentation for a config file for the rest...

Just my thoughts, and I know there'll be lots of disagreement on that.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist