Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
geneven, you appear to be confusing sjgadsby and I in your rush toward the usual sarcasm.

And he was just making a suggestion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I really only want two things that my N800 doesn't have now:
1More horsepower. I don't know if it's software or hardware, or both, but we're not quite to the fie on a mobile device. The it does it better than any other device, but still can't handle some of the 'Web 2.0' stuff that I need it to do(Google Spreadsheets anyone?)
2Always on connectivity. WiMax sounds great, but it ain't here yet, and probably won't be cheap at first, either. I personally want a quad-band GSM sim slot with at least edge. I don't care if it can handle phone calls or not. I could move my current card with $20.00 a month data plan to the tablet, then add a line to my AT&T Family Plan for $9.99 for my calling needs. Cost to me:$9.99 per month more than I'm paying now. Not bad for full-time tablet connectivity. I know, the argument against this is that Bluetooth tethering will do the same without adding an additional line, but I'm not satisfied with Bluetooth. I've been using tethering for a few years now with several different phones and mobile computers/PDA's, some with built-in BT and some with dongles, and I've never been satisfied with the results. I've had too many dropped connections and other problems, so I'd rather take the HTC Shift route.

Beyond these two things, I'd personally stick to SD cards for the increased storage, but would at least prefer microSD to mini. Mini just hasn't had widespread adoption as far as I can see.
Finally, always give a pure tablet option. I'm not a big fan of little keyboards, but I would like to see 'write anywhere' handwriting recognition. I love handwriting recognition, but the it's current implementation is poor.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
It will be interesting to come back to this thread *peep* months later when "N900" has just been released...

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Hardware wise I doubt there will be any big surprises. OMAP3, 3d acceleration, h264 in hardware, 256MB RAM, at least 512MB internal flash, same size screen, and similar or smaller footprint. I think those are all very good bets.

Software is another whole story since even the existing hardware could get a real boost from newer software.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
It will be interesting to come back to this thread *peep* months later when "N900" has just been released...
Not a peep out of you, mister!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Kidness and bribery haven't been very effective in the past. Perhaps we, as a community, should try out violence for a while.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Not even for a fan?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Heh! You can also torture Texrat since he knows also all the juicy details you are after...

Ok, I am thniking of making a poll. What do you think of the following proposed HARDWARE changes only. I think the 10 most talked about things are (in no specific order) represented below. I am assuming everybody wants more powerful cpu, more ram, and charge through usb.

1. Automatic stylus removal detection__ Yes No
2. Physical_keyboard_________________ Yes No
3. Bigger screen____________________ Yes No
4. GSM radio_______________________ Yes No
5. Storage_________________________ 1 SD, 2 SD, 1 microSD, 2 microSD, hard drive
6. Capacitive touch screen____________ Yes No
7. Radio(s)__________________________ GPS, Wimax, FM, 802.11n
8. N770 like hard cover_______________ Yes No
9. real camera (for taking pictures/video) Yes No
10. Size___________________________ smaller, same, bigger

So what do you think of the list?

Get ready to laugh but I would love a super tiny bluetooth mouse that pops out of the unit. Maybe the size of a couple quarters.

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist