The "add to playlist" using the library has one problem for me. It the library doesn't have browse by folder! All my music is arranged by folder. Browse by Artist, Album, Genre isn't helpful since it basically list all my song in one huge list. Most of my songs are by different Artist, Album, however they basically all in the same genre.

I would really like to use add to playlist, but is very hard when you sort through a list of 1000+ songs...

Thanks for the writeup. It explains alot. I followed the instructions to the letter. After twenty minutes, i'd added three tracks to a playlist of three hundred some odd that should be there for the book i'm 'reading'. I might get better at it after awhile. However, the directions are so hard to remember, i'm guessing that there's a total paradigm impedence mismatch. I'm so trying to bake this cake with an application that knows how to drill holes in the dirt, or something. You might say that Media Player has playlists. That would be overstatement. You might say that there is a usablilty problem. That would be understatement.

I'd continue using my command line script that creates playlists from a directory of files. Or i would, except that it stopped working when i last reflashed. It creates a file, say 'pods.m3u', with lines like
file:///media/mmc2/Audio/pod/somefile.mp3
And 'Media Player' lets me open the file, and it shows me the list of files. But when i click on one, it says 'Unable to find media file'. If i open the mp3 file by itself, it plays it. However, then i have to do an open for each file. One down, 300 to go. Tough to do while driving.

For that matter, is there a function that lets you play all the files in a directory, in name order? Then i wouldn't need playlists. When you rip a CD, you get a collection of files in a directory. I copy them about as a unit. I imagine that there are people out there who dump all their files into one directory - like 'My Documents' on Winders. (I don't run Winders). I suppose there are people who play huge collections of CDs in random shuffle mode. So, there's a parent directory with tonnes of subdirectories, each with an album. Let it shuffle on that. Or play them in order. Either way, no playlists needed.