Notices

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
I would love to see this work for Vagalume or something similar. That way I could plug my N810 into my stereo system and control it from my couch.

It would be a great way to listen to internet radio and such through some nice speakers without having to get up off my butt every time a song I don't like comes on.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by aNoble View Post
I would love to see this work for Vagalume or something similar. That way I could plug my N810 into my stereo system and control it from my couch.

It would be a great way to listen to internet radio and such through some nice speakers without having to get up off my butt every time a song I don't like comes on.
well, that's easy, install x11vnc on the tablet, then get another tablet to control the first one using vnc viewer!

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
You can use it for any applications on maemo. Also on vagalume (which is great app, I agree!).

I like how this setup is just a deb and how It allows easy pairing with any wiimote. However it seems to be very crashy and some buttons I can't get to register. For example the "1" button. The home button causes all sorts of trouble too. I mostly did testing in duke nukem.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by aNoble View Post

That was exactly my first motivation for developing wiicontrol.

Currenty, wiicontrol sends X-events to other apps (keypresses, mouse clicks..) which mean that the application to control needs to be in foreground. However, the latest Vagalume version offers another way of controlling it, via D-bus messages. I'm planning to add D-bus support to wiicontrol too. For the end-user, this mean that you can map certain buttons to actions addressed to Vagalume, and these do not require Vagalume to be in the foreground. So you can have Vagalume in the background, while having in foreground a different app (for example, pdf-viewer in order to read a book while listening music), and still be able to control the music from the wiimote, without switching apps.

Stay tuned :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to jldiaz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MrDowntempo View Post
I like how this setup is just a deb and how It allows easy pairing with any wiimote. However it seems to be very crashy and some buttons I can't get to register. For example the "1" button. The home button causes all sorts of trouble too. I mostly did testing in duke nukem.
Yes, the "home button problem" was a known bug, and it is already solved in the latest version, but this version isn't still packaged as a deb (only available in source code from the svn repository at https://garage.maemo.org/projects/wiicontrol/)

The "1" button problem probably is related to the keypress-keyrelease issue: Each wiimote button can be mapped to a key in two different ways: 1) When you press the button in the wiimote, a pair keypress/keyrelease is generated in the tablet. When you release the button in the wiimote, nothing happens in the tablet 2) When you press the button in the wiimote, only a keypress is generated in the tablet. When you release the wiimote button, a keyrelease is generated in the tablet.

The first way is useful for controlling most GUI applications (browser, media players, book readers, menus...) however, it doesn't work with most of the games developed with sdl. For these games, the second way is the proper way. Probably the "1" button is mapped to a key using the first way, and then it doesn't work in games such a duke nukem.

In the latest version of wiicontrol (only at svn, as said before), the mapping from wii to tablet events is decoupled from the main script, so the user can provide his own mappings in external files. This simplifies the task of having maps specific to some apps. A proper mapping should be written to duke nukem this way.

Stay tuned for the upcoming .deb :-)

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Hmm... maybe I should package the latest version.

I think you should :-) I'll test it out if ya do!

Any chance of releasing some time soon? Or am I finally gonna have to figure out how the maemo SDK works so i can compile it myself?

Originally Posted by MrDowntempo View Post
Any chance of releasing some time soon? Or am I finally gonna have to figure out how the maemo SDK works so i can compile it myself?
In fact, you don't require to compile anything (and thus you don't require the sdk), because the app is written in python. All you need is python installed in your NIT, along with some libraries (you can obtain all what is required by installing UKMP, for example).

The mission of the .deb is to copy the python scripts and configuration files at appropiate places, and "install" a menu icon for the app.

Without the .deb, you can still perform a manual installation. Simply follow these steps:
  • Point your browser to https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...oot=wiicontrol
  • Download the *.py files, and put them at some place in your PATH. Be sure to give them execution permissions (chmod +x file)
  • Download the files in the mappings folder and put them in the folder /home/user/.wiicontrol/mappings in your tablet.
  • Ignore the README it is obsolete (although the explanations about the working principles are still valid)
  • Run wiicontrol.py, and press 1+2 in your wiimote. Select the desired mapping in the drop-down list. Play with your wiimote
  • Let me know if all works as expected :-)
  • Edit the mapping files to learn their syntax, and write your own ones, if desired. Share your mappings.

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to jldiaz For This Useful Post: