Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I waited on sending my HandEra 330 in to a screen repair place for so long that they all disappeared.

I installed Gentoo on a Fujitsu Stylistic 500.

After finally getting my youngest daughter to sleep one night, I leaned over to gently, carefully lower her into her crib--forgetting my N800 was in my shirt pocket. Yep, right it the side of her head.

I forgot how old the FAT32 specification is and copied a ~4.5 GB file via USB to the internal card of my N800, which I was also using for virtual memory. Twice.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2008-05-12 at 14:10.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I overclocked my Visor Prism which I believe led to it's untimely demise.

I once used my old Zaurus SL-5500 at the beach and now it has sand under the touch screen...but it still works fine!

I sent my newer Zaurus SL-C1000 skipping across the blacktop once when it was brand new while trying to get it out of my pocket. I think it ejected the SD card and battery but it still works fine. (It's currently sitting next to me booted into Debian. )

The worst thing I did, though, was kill a neat little ultraportable P133 (old, but cool) by taking it apart to install linux onto it's HD on another computer and breaking the plastic clasp on it's LCD ribbon cable. Then I kind of just pushed the cable back into place and fired it up. Result: sparks, broken screen, total loss. I have no luck fiddling with small electronics. :/

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I actually want to add to my first post.

Besides droping my psp on my driveway, i've allso totally dismantled it three or four times because it was having technical problems and i didn't want to pay a ton of money for a small problem so decided to take the situation into my own hands.
But after i took it apart so many times, it still worked fine. that is, before i dropted it and ruined it.

enyone else want to post their previous mishaps?
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
I left my beloved Palm Zire72 in my backpack... right next to a mechanical pencil with a very sharp tip... When i took it out the back had the heck scratched out of it. I got lucky I guess since it was the back and not the digitizer.

I've also dropped my N810 on my driveway and taken my phone to the beach only to have to completely dismantle it and clean the whole thing out with a q-tip :P

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

I was sitting at mcdonalds watching fear and loathing on my n800. I went to turn the volume up and instead knocked over my large coke directly onto the face of the device. Seeing the liquid pooled in the screen and speaker recesses for that split second made me want to punch myself directly in the face for being so careless. But everything turned out ok and everything still works flawlessly, thank linus. Not even a sticky button.

Also, just a few days after getting the n800(while i still felt the need to have it in my hands at all times) i forgot it was in my lap while exiting a car and dumped it on the asphalt. Thankfully I sprung for the leather nokia carying case. All it suffered was cracked paint on the bottom corner of the really hard metal stand. A black sharpie marker promptly patched the blemish.

I 'had' a 4GB SD card installed in the internal slot. I noticed the path disappeared from the file manager when I removed the back panel. So I assumed that if it was unmounted then it must be safe to remove with the device on. *wrong*. Fried the bastard. The data that was on it is still readable via my usb flash reader and ubuntu, but is both unwritable and unflashable. lame. For this reason I am afriad to 'remove' my 8GB SD from the 'removable memory card' slot without totally powering down and unplugging the n800 altogether.

thats about it for me.
btw... whats everyones problem with apt-get upgrade ?
works great as long as all your repos are accesable.
Thats the only way i do it. try forcing a package with the gui. pfft..
wanna blow your mind? try apt-get dist-upgrade or learn what dpkg does

I've dropped my n800 on asphalt, linoleum, ice, marble, wood, and much more. Only a faint nick here and there. Amazing! .

Originally Posted by ericcmi View Post
I 'had' a 4GB SD card installed in the internal slot. I noticed the path disappeared from the file manager when I removed the back panel. So I assumed that if it was unmounted then it must be safe to remove with the device on. *wrong*. Fried the bastard. The data that was on it is still readable via my usb flash reader and ubuntu, but is both unwritable and unflashable. lame. For this reason I am afriad to 'remove' my 8GB SD from the 'removable memory card' slot without totally powering down and unplugging the n800 altogether.
It works fine here, swapping cards while it's on... You wait till it would have brought up an alarm complaining about it being in use, and if it doesn't give one, you're clear to remove it. I expect it had data on it corrupted somehow already, and you just didn't notice till the next mount. You try the Panasonic SD formatter (Windows only)? That, or maybe run it through the washer...

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Dayton, TN
I messed around with /etc/sudoers a bit haphazardly. As a result my N810 wouldn't boot.

I also managed to lose my MicroSD to MiniSD adapter. Which wasn't so bad but I'm always scared I'm going to lose my MicroSD card somewhere. It's an 8gig so I paid a pretty penny for it.

Has anyone else ever lost a MicroSD card? From the size of them you'd think it would happen all the time.

Last edited by aNoble; 2008-05-13 at 17:16.

flashed the wrong image and bricked it!

Most of you have me beat. The worst I've done wasn't actually done by me. In 2001, I adopted a 1 year old Labrador Retreiver About the same time, I purchased a shiny, top of the line Toshiba PocketPC.

A couple of months later, my Lab used my PocketPC for a chew toy. There wasn't much left, although it did turn on and off. The Pocket PC is long gone, but my dog is sleeping on my feet as I type. :-)

The only other bad thing I've done is to replace my tired, well-used Tungsten T3 with an N810 The T3 had been getting funky for months, but was still working before I ordered my N810. Then, my T3 literally died the day I ordered my N810. It knew.