Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Hi all. I've got a whole bunch of dvd's of tv episodes that I'm trying to use tablet-encode on, but it seems I'm having troubles when I try to pass specific mencoder options. I'm doing this mainly because I've got two dvd drives that I want to use in tandem to speed up the process, so not only do I have to point mencoder to the correct drive, but with using two-pass encoding I have to specify different log file outputs so they don't collide. Lastly I want mencoder to boost the volume so I can actually hear the video when I'm riding on a bus or plane.

Here's my command line & the error I keep getting:

Code:
tablet-encode --original-aspect --two-pass --preset=best --mencoder="-af volume=10" --mencoder="-passlogfile passlog1.log" --mencoder="-dvd-device /dev/hda" dvd://1 Show-S01E01.tablet.avi
Unable to get movie info.
If I don't specify any of the mencoder options it works fine. Any ideas? TX
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

If you want to pass "-af 10" I think you need to do -maf -m10 or something like that I seem to remember. Or possibly -m-af -m10.

The Following User Says Thank You to bubieyehyeh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bubieyehyeh View Post
If you want to pass "-af 10" I think you need to do -maf -m10 or something like that I seem to remember. Or possibly -m-af -m10.
That worked. And after finally getting it to work, I realized that I can forget the passlogfile switch as well, because tablet-encode already does that based on the output file name.

Thanks for the tip.
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Sorry, the documentation on this could be clearer. Suggestions (and patches) welcome :-)

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Sorry, the documentation on this could be clearer. Suggestions (and patches) welcome :-)
No troubles. I guess my suggestion would be to allow one long string to be passed to mencoder so that multiple options or options with qualifiers can be passed with one -mencoder switch.

Given the time I'd offer a patch, but that's in very short supply right now (time that is, not patches ).

TX

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by grog View Post
No troubles. I guess my suggestion would be to allow one long string to be passed to mencoder so that multiple options or options with qualifiers can be passed with one -mencoder switch.
Trouble with this is you rapidly get into the problem of implementing your own shell command-line parsing (split on space, unless it's in a string, or escaped, ...)

Having said that, it may be necessary.

Given the time I'd offer a patch, but that's in very short supply right now (time that is, not patches ).
Heh, tell me about it.

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Trouble with this is you rapidly get into the problem of implementing your own shell command-line parsing (split on space, unless it's in a string, or escaped, ...)

Having said that, it may be necessary.
I know what you mean. I've tried doing that for several shell scripts & it gets real messy pretty quick. The current work-around does just that, works. Don't sweat trying to make it pretty .

Thanks again for the great tool. Converting a whole bunch of Babylon 5's right now & enjoying them greatly!