Active Topics

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Saint-Avertin / France
Hi Jary,

Good point, the packages are built with the libogg0 version of Tuomas Kulve repository, I will fix it.

For the packaging as I'm not an expert and I have not a lot of imagination, I used as an example the debian/* files from the debian websvn tree (http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-multi...an/?rev=0&sc=0)

This is perhaps not actually the best suited method to the tablet.

The WxWidgets package depends on the QT one because the xvideo/x11 plugins are provided with the QT package, move these plugins in a vlc-cli package (ex vlc-nox) should do the trick.

This perhaps the best compromise size / features, I will work in this direction.

Lokidor

The Following User Says Thank You to lokidor For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Jari K View Post
What I need is video streaming input+playback (yes cole, there's someone who needs VLC for this
Hi Jari,

Why would you use VLC for this when either mplayer or the built-in media player can both do a better job of it? If the current released mplayer is inadequate for you, try one of the mplayer rc2 builds (like Bundyo's), which have better support for various video types...

Is there a particular use-case where VLC is superior at playing a video stream?

EDIT: I just realized that sounded like I'm trying to start a fight or something. I'm not; I'm actually very curious.

Last edited by qole; 2008-05-20 at 00:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by lokidor View Post
Sorry but I'm not the GSoC 2008 student.
Sorry, I made that assumption when I read your web page:

Pending the works that will be done this summer as part of the GSoC, you will find HERE some packages built with current development branch of VLC (0.9.0-git).
It sounded like you were doing this as part of the GSoC.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Why would you use VLC for this when either mplayer or the built-in media player can both do a better job of it? If the current released mplayer is inadequate for you, try one of the mplayer rc2 builds (like Bundyo's), which have better support for various video types...

Is there a particular use-case where VLC is superior at playing a video stream?
Not that VLC is superior, but I'm working in research world, and it is not the first priority to do something that is fully optimised, but show what we wanted to do and optimise it later if it was something that you would really like to have. In practice there is often legacy stuff (patches, scripts and other knowledge) that you have developed for other platforms (laptops and other PDAs), and you have to consider which is easier, porting those to other players or getting a VLC for your new platform. I tested mplayer when we got our first 770 and at that phase it seemed hopeless, so we compiled VLC and optimised it a bit. VLC wasn't very stable and well performing on 770, but it did its job and now that we have N8x0 its actually pretty OK.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
EDIT: I just realized that sounded like I'm trying to start a fight or something. I'm not; I'm actually very curious.
Ok

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by lokidor View Post
For the packaging as I'm not an expert and I have not a lot of imagination, I used as an example the debian/* files from the debian websvn tree (http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-multi...an/?rev=0&sc=0)
I didn't give too much thought to my proposal either, but this is work in progress anyway, so we can test things and try to see what's the best solution Keep on with the good work!

- Jari

Posts: 34 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Saint-Avertin / France
My webpage was a little confused, I have corrected.

It seems that the error "fb video output error: cannot get terminal mode (Invalid argument)" has no link with X.
The framebuffer output should be available without X.
As the framebuffer plugin is present inside vlc-nox, we should be able to use it without install the vlc package.
I tried with vlc 0.8.6 / vlc 0.9.0 / with X / without X and I always get this error.
I googleized it and it seems that a number of people have faced the same error with vlc, I noticed some solutions but they failed.

Lokidor

I haven't tried it yet, but tz1 managed to get the camera working as a v4l1 device as part of an effort to get it working with Flash. This would make the current VLC releases work with our camera, instead of having to compile the developer versions.

EDIT: Benson tipped me off to that post.

Last edited by qole; 2008-05-21 at 02:36. Reason: credit where credit is due

Ok, I tried standard Debian VLC with the tz1 hack; I couldn't get it to work.

I got the lokidor version to transmit video from the tablet (for the first time since Peekaboo and OS2007) with the following command:

Code:
vlc -Idummy v4l2://dev/video0:chroma=RV16:size=qcif :sout="#transcode{vcodec=WMV2,fps=10,vb=196}:duplicate{dst=std{access=http,mux=asf,dst=:7070}}"
VLC complains about problems, however. Like most software (except gstreamer), it can't find the mic, and it even says that it can't find the video...?

The "failed to wait" problems continue as long as the camera is streaming. I think these are the buffer errors that are inherent in the camera's driver.

[00000363] main generic: creating httpd
[00000369] v4l2 demux error: cannot open video device (No such file or directory)
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM dev/video0
[00000369] v4l2 demux error: cannot open device dev/video0 for ALSA audio (No such file or directory)
[00000369] v4l2 demux error: cannot open device dev/video0 for OSS audio (No such file or directory)
[00000369] v4l2 demux error: Failed to wait (VIDIOC_DQBUF)

Banned | Posts: 82 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Israel
how the heck u guys downloaded this? both of the links are not working

Well, the streaming is quite slow, maybe 5 fps, and WMP just keeps buffering the file forever (5% ... 13% ... 25% ... 8% ... 16% ... 1% ... ); only VLC actually displays the stream. I think the problem is those "failed to wait" errors.

I wonder if VLC can be tweaked to handle the "VIDIOC_DQBUF" errors?

EDIT: The problem is that VLC is ignoring the "size" parameter, and it is transmitting 320x240. No wonder it is so slow.

@luis-garcia:
I'm using the libvlc0 and vlc-nox files from lokidor. I just checked, the link works.

Last edited by qole; 2008-05-21 at 18:36. Reason: Found the problem...