Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
My media player is also empty
That's you :P It works with every orb setup on my network.

The Following User Says Thank You to Navi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Well briand, I told you the final conclusion:

We are not going to officially support it. That's final. Officially supports means to do everything to keep it working, etc etc. if you don;t agree with what we said, you have the total right to do so, but I do also state OUR opinion based in 3 years of maemo-mythtv projects. And of course (it's not everyone there that are rude, but some key persons, that unfortunately decided the future of the device)

We will debug the plugin, and improve it's features as we go, so if the mythtTv is providing correctly it will be supported.

The problem is that I told you that we are not going to support it, and anyhow you provided a lot of feedback that was not related to our goals.

I agree that we shouldn't break (even if we don;t support) but remember what you said? "don 't assum album.. don;t assume that" and this we don't have nothing to do with. And please, when I said copy the file, I did't say a "real" conventional copy THAN play, gnomeVFS writes the files in the disk and then stream as it downloads. Anyhow I'm not a developer, I can be saying a wrong thing, but we do not use the same components, that's why we don't support the same way.

I'm not invite you to go elsewhere, but I was inviting you to understand that we don't work for a particular problem / server / solution. And as much as you like and use it, we decided no to go there. Simply that. and so, if you wanted to talk / report bugs on something that we said previously it would not be supported, then you know what you are going to have as answer. It's not rudeness, you talk what you want? you listen/read what you don;t want. It's that simple unfortunately.

We (particulary me) try to keep this as polite as possible even when things goes really beyong the respectable level (it's not your case) but if I told you "we don't support" and you kept hitting the button, then we will also hit ours :/

I think we can close this topic on mythTV ok?

BR

Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by handful
I think we can close this topic on mythTV ok?
Yes. You've made it abundantly clear that you will immediately dismiss any issue I report regarding your UPNP plug-in as an issue with my MythTV server, largely due to your bias and previous experience with the MythTV development team. I guess that seems prudent, to you.

[shrug]

I note that others, not running MythTV, have reported the very same issue. Do you think their issue is because I'm running a MythTV server, too?

From message number 47 in this thread:
Originally Posted by st5150
I am confirming this problem with Fuppes Version: SVN-r578 running on XP. Almost every time Canola2 crashes while accessing Fuppes.

I'm not invite you to go elsewhere
Umm... I believe you did. Is it not exactly what you were inferring in 49 in this thread.

But in the end, like in the other things: if you are not satisfied, you have the choice of the other applications
Seems pretty clear to me; you've made your choice. I, of course, am free to make mine.

I note that others, not running MythTV, have reported the very same issue. Do you think their issue is because I'm running a MythTV server, too?
Fuppes (non-svn) doesn't crash. We don't use bleeding edge for testing. But anyhow again:

I think you still haven't figured the point here:

We are going to improve the plugin. It may end up working quite nicely with mythTV, The source code is going to be on the website quite soon, so even for those servers that are more specific it can be tweaked.

The fact is : we are not officially going to support it. Yes you can call it bias, but for me is simple :
The team is smaller, I have less development power, and I need to choose. So I choose only a smaller compatibility with smaller (more end-user-focused) servers, even if that means the ugly windows media player. I think the medium-experienced linux user knows how to deal with the problems in any other servers and can do their trick better than the average guy on windows. The community is full of software for those that are more into this hardcore features, than in the simple ones..
that's what I was telling you that you have choice. I always say that an dI have more than 1000 posts here to prove that even under unfair comments I do not "throw" any one out of the game, actually I can't. I said that just to make sure there's no commitment between my team's work and this NEED. not "you". the need of "supporting" mythTV. I have this demand coming even from high managers inside the company and I deny in the same level I deny to "you". It's just not worth for us. So if I'm not mistaken, you said that you did some mythTV coding right? So you can do the best thing in communities and tweak the code to fit the Mtv needs also. If you want, not only we can give you early access but also all the help through the channels (IRC, mail).

But please understand the point : under the circunstances (small team) is out of queue to "officialy" support it. If our improvements make it work. Nice. If not : / we will not create a task force for that :/.
If it was a paid software, then we would have a bigger team, and force to get most of the request done. But now, based on canola1 and 2 I know that I prefer to use a couple of other server as automated testing then mythTV just that.

You have my permission to continue to topic with me in private message, I will answer you asap there.

BR

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Okay I guess I finally found the answer to why it takes long time to start streaming video, it seems mplayer accesses the server differently than the built in player, when transcoding to avi(divx) it downloads the whole file before trying to play it (or atleast very much of ite), but when trascoding to mpeg it seems to open it straight away without delay, I guess I can live with mpeg2 trasncoding I just need to find good settings for maximum quality. So in the end this is not a problem with the plugin but different behaviour with the media playing engine.

Andy, it's true,
that's why we also are suggesting some users to change the default player to be again the maemo one, not mplayer. But it really depends on the kind of quality you are aiming also : /

But please, share your transcoding settings, etc that can be helpful to the others!

MArcelo

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
I read through the whole thread and just want to be sure:

The only way to use canola (with UPNP support) on the N770, is by running HE2008 ?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Sure I'll share them when I find the best quality/performance, im away this weekend so ill try them monday or tuesday, btw what you mean by setting the default player back to maemo one? I thought canola allways uses mplayer as video engine?. Btw what user agent string does canola use when connecting to upnp server, it would help as I can then do automatic profile to tversity whenever I connect with canola. Of course I could just capture the header with wireshark but I guess asking is easier =).

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
I read through the whole thread and just want to be sure:

The only way to use canola (with UPNP support) on the N770, is by running HE2008 ?
Yes, for now.

Hmm, there is a upnp plugin for bora which you can try to install:
http://repository.maemo.org/extras/p...a-upnp-plugin/

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-05-23 at 12:43.

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Hi,

I tried out Canola's UPnP support yesterday with a Twonkyvision server on a Linkstation (Linux). Comparing to the Media Streamer application provided by Nokia, Canola is slower to start playing music. Also, the album art embedded in the mp3 is not displayed in Canola but is in Media Streamer. Also it was not obvious to me that there was a way to queue multiple albums in a playlist (again, comparing to Media Streamer). Other than that, great work.

The album art and queuing are not that big of a deal. The slowness in starting to stream is something that will keep me using Media Streamer.

Frank