Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Reminds me a bit of my W810 turning off the keypad light in bright sunlight (not great for me anymore as I patched it to stay off in dark light anyway )

Great app. Thank you.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
I thought about a derivative software of this application:
Once the sensor "senses" bright sunlight, the app could completely reduce the backlight of the N810. This would help conserve energy that would otherwise be wasted (in bright sunlight, the backlight is irrelevant).
Would that make sense or be practical?
Yes that makes sense and would be very practical When I'm reading on the bus and it's sunny outside, I usually cover the light sensor with my thumb to dim the screen and save power. The sunlight and the N810's transreflective screen provide all the light I need. Never understood why the screen got brighter in bright sunlight.

As an aside I've had to remove this app due to a memory leak. With this autolock removed the memory leak is gone. I've switched to using the Keyboard Autolock instead. It works without leaking.

Posts: 95 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Miami & London
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
... switched to using the Keyboard Autolock...
Is this a built-in feature, or another application? I know I can unlock the screen by opening the keyboard, but closing the keyboard does not relock except in the special case where i have not touched the display.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
Is this a built-in feature, or another application? I know I can unlock the screen by opening the keyboard, but closing the keyboard does not relock except in the special case where i have not touched the display.

It's a separate app called Slidelock It just adds the ability to lock the N810 by closing the keyboard and you just use the existing unlock by opening keyboard. If you want the keyboard shut and yet have the tablet unlocked you can still use the little slidy switch on top.

I've been using Slidelock for about a month now and have had no problems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PinCushionQueen For This Useful Post:
I've released a new version of autolock (0.3). It now works with Diablo. It also displays the enable/disable notifications longer, and should be harder to accidently disable. I have no clue what is causing memory leaks for some people - It doesn't seem to happen on my tablet. I would appreciate if someone with more experience with DBUS could look at my code to see if they can spot a leak. Anyways, it is Works on My Machine certified

The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:
If anyone downloaded Autolock 0.3 before now, please re-download it; I accidently uploaded an old version last night. The new version is now uploaded. To check your version, run /usr/sbin/autolock -v. (Previous versions will ignore the -v option, so press Ctrl-C to stop it.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Diablo install. Worked until I rebooted it. Also... was there supposed to be a control panel item to control the timeout?

I see it's supposed to start in /etc/rc2.d/ and restarting it manually /etc/init.d/autolock start seems to have fixed the problem.

Last edited by brontide; 2008-07-01 at 18:12.

Thanks - I will fix this shortly.

Meanwhile, run as root:

Code:
update-rc.d -f autolock remove
update-rc.d autolock defaults 99
That should fix it.

I have no interest in adding a timeout (more complexity, little or no benefit). When I am somewhere that is so dark that I keep accidentally triggering Autolock, I either slide the keyboard out (which temporarily disables it) or disable it with the lock slider.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Thanks - I will fix this shortly.

Meanwhile, run as root:

Code:
update-rc.d -f autolock remove
update-rc.d autolock defaults 99
That should fix it.
Seems to have worked like a charm. Thanks again

Tags
autolock, light sensor