Active Topics

Hi

I am from Switzerland.

If I go from "GPS location" --> "Location" it says "GPS status: Searching" but it never found out, where I am.

Why? - If I open the Map application, click on the gps logo in the bottom to open the "GPS display" it tells me something like:
0 0
9 2
and above are some "pillars".
What does that mean?

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
How long did you wait. I find times when it takes about 5-6 minutes to lock in on me. On the good side once you get signal stays even in my pocket or bag. The Pillars are showing the signal for several satellites you are connected to. It takes several with a good lock to get your location.

BTW Welcome to itT.

The GPS is horrible! I've been outside and had it take as long as 8 minutes (I timed it) to lock on.

This past weekend I activated the 7-day trial for navigation. Equally bad. None of the toll roads that opened in 2006 are on the maps. RM-620, a highway that has existed for decades is wrong, it showed me driving through wilderness and kept telling me to drive back to a road. And lastly it said I was on the "I-35 access road" when I was clearly on the actual Interstate.

I emailed the company (I forget the name right now) about all the problems with their software. I'm very disappointed all around with the GPS on this thing.

Originally Posted by jmayson View Post
The GPS is horrible! I've been outside and had it take as long as 8 minutes (I timed it) to lock on.

This past weekend I activated the 7-day trial for navigation. Equally bad. None of the toll roads that opened in 2006 are on the maps. RM-620, a highway that has existed for decades is wrong, it showed me driving through wilderness and kept telling me to drive back to a road. And lastly it said I was on the "I-35 access road" when I was clearly on the actual Interstate.

I emailed the company (I forget the name right now) about all the problems with their software. I'm very disappointed all around with the GPS on this thing.
have you tried maemomapper? mapper? road map? they all work very well

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
The more of these posts I see the more I appreciate the BT GPS I have for the N800 and REALLY appreciate my Garmin GPSMap76CS, even that ancient dinosaur doesn't take the long to lock from a cold start.

What were they thinking?
Homebrew OTG cable and power injector.

Diablo has an A-GPS app which should let you enter your approximate position for a faster fix. An associated daemon (supld) will retrieve ephemeris data over the net, and position guesses from WiFi and cellphone cell IDs. I have not tried it extensively but have some hope it will reduce the 10 minute to infinite fix times to about 30 seconds
http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com...ser/a/agps-ui/
http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com...s/supl-daemon/

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Texas/Earth/Sol System/Milky Way/Local Group/Hubble Bubble/Infinity
The GPS just does not compare to dedicated units ... but it does work, and Kismet will get info from it while sniffing.

Steve