Active Topics

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I've now had two Transcend 8GB SDHC cards crap out on me, the latest within 3 days of getting it.

I was using KStars for the first time yesterday and suddenly KDE locked up. Within a few seconds my N800 rebooted and the boot menu did not recognize the card. I can't even format the card using SDFormatter or TestDisk with a SDHC card reader.

Is there a known problem with Transcend cards? Is there a reliable card out there that while more expensive, will at least last more than a few days? Thanks.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I have 4 Transcend cards (two 8GB, one 4GB and one 1GB), they all work perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
IIRC, Trancend doesn't produce the flash chips, or probably any interface chips, they just assemble parts from other manufacturers and put their name on it. With all the volatility in the flash markets lately, I'm sure the product internals change often. You've been very unlucky (and knowing the price of those cards, I'm bummed hearing about it), but I wouldn't write off transcend permanently. There are certainly differences in manufacturers though, sandisk didn't get to be where it is by accident.

-Jonathan

The Following User Says Thank You to bokubob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bulgaria
Hi, I have the same experience with my Transcend 8 GB SDHC card. I got one and in 1 week after reformat it shows that the card is about 5 GB and something. I return it to the seller and in 1 week get a new one that works well.
I got a feedback from the seller that I am not the only one that have broken card of this type. So for me this looks like batch that was assembled with low quality chips.

The Following User Says Thank You to dzahariev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Heh, stupid me recently bought two of these cards. I opened the package for the last one tonight, cloned OS 2008 to it, installed a bunch of apps, and installed KDE. This better last!!!
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
They're hard to resist because in my experience they are cheap. But then, that by itself can mean something...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
Is there a known problem with Transcend cards?
I'm just adding myself to the list of folks with problem-free Transcend cards. What I have is one, older, 4GB, non-SDHC card though, so it's neither a large nor current sample.

Is there a reliable card out there that while more expensive, will at least last more than a few days?
As bokubob said, there's Sandisk. However, when you survey the pricing on a given size and class of card, and see that you can purchase two, or even three, "probably good" cards or one Sandisk, it can be easy to be swayed away.

Often, Kingston cards are more price-competitive than Sandisk, and they come with a lifetime warranty. That's probably worth considering as you weigh your options before a purchase.

Q: Transcend SDHC Cards Suck?
A: Yes. (I speak from personal experience)

If you hunt for a deal, SanDisk cards aren't more expensive than other brands and I haven't had one fail on me yet.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ace View Post
If you hunt for a deal, SanDisk cards aren't more expensive than other brands and I haven't had one fail on me yet.
That's such a lie. Even with the mail-in-rebates that pop up every once and a while, SanDisk is gonna be at least half again as expensive as other brands without a rebate, and usually at a much lower speed rating. When you compare them at normal pricing, SanDisk is easily two to three times as expensive.

Now, that's not to say that they don't make quality stuff, just that their prices reflect this quality a little more intensely than most.

Looking at the slightly bogus statistics of newegg reviews on Transcend flash memory, you can see that by and large, most people don't have a lick of trouble with their Transcend cards. Individually, some people just get stupidly unlucky.

Even i Have a transcend 8gb card & it is working absolutely fine....

===============================================
Friscon Consulting

Social Media Marketing - 553391460.278077