Active Topics

I'm using GPE cal, before i get too comfy is there another pim i could use which is better?

I tried searcing for this but could'nt get the search function to work on my n800...oh the irony....

The Following User Says Thank You to dongratius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Mexico City
It depends on what you want, for some of us GPE is the cal to use thanks to GPE Summary. But Gene Cash's apps seem much more friendly and good-looking. If they could also make use of something like GPE Summary for it I would change immediately, honestly.

There are some other PIM applications around but those 2 are the ones I am familiar with.

Regards

The Following User Says Thank You to angelb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by dongratius View Post
...could'nt get the search function to work on my n800...
Try using the Google search on the iTT's homepage. It works on the tablets and provides better results.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
I agree with angelb... it depends on what you want...
"better" is a matter of opinion...

GPE
PROs
--2 way sync with google calender (via erminig with some limitations)
-- GPE summary Applet

CONs
--kinda clunky visually (personal preference)
--GPE Summary uses a large portion of the screen
----& is hard coded for font / background color & no transparency

--alarms don't work well (if at all--I don't use the alarms on the N800)
----(I get my alarms via SMS from GCal)

Gene's PIM suite
PROs
--I believe Alarms work (although the Cal app launches at Midnight for housekeeping, and then doesn't always shutdown)

CONs (for me)
--1 way sync to google calendar (subscribe / download import ical)

For me the 2 way Google calendar sync was the deciding factor...

For Contacts I have ended up using Gene's InfoOnTap database rather than a "real/dedicated" contacts list as I don't need the integration with the tablet email/chat etc. (I may just make a spreadsheet file and use Gnumeric, Undecided at this point)

ToDos I have the GPE ToDo installed (but not used much) I tend to use Jott / Remember the Milk / Google Cal from my cellphone

Memos / Outlook notes
--Notecase (on ITT and Windows)

So to answer your original question... There is NO "best" PIM.

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
I actually like the Garnet VM PIM suite. Once the new (updated) version came out I uninstalled GPE. GPE was just a bit too clunky for me, though having to open up Garnet to view my PIM can be a bit of a pain. I think it's worth it though, and unfortunately this may be the best PIM we see out there unless Nokia commits themselves to making a PIM suite. I guess making a good PIM suite is extremely difficult and nobody can really get the job done alone. However, Palm and Nokia have experience doing this sort of thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to MstPrgmr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 130 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
GPE is what I use (gpe summary is the deciding factor) the alarms situation is deeply disappointing though). I'd swap to pimlico or gene cash, but don't see a distintc advantage yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealBubba For This Useful Post:
Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
For anyone dissapointed with the alarms in GPE (a think you are referring to the fact that they don't sound if calendar is not open) read this thread: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...sonalizing+gpe

There is an altered version of gpesummary that will trigger the alarms for you. With this version you don't need to have the calendar open for alarms to work.

Also, regarding the look of gpesummary, it uses the theme colours - specifically the same colours as osso-speeddial. If you want transparency try a different theme, such as Echo or NuvoClear2.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fiferboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
@Fiferboy I stand corrected: GPE Summary does do transparency...

Now how do I change the font Color

I was using the LCARS Theme, but because the Font Color is fixed? GPE summary seems unusable with LCARS.

Thanks
Matt

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Last edited by Snoshrk; 2008-06-05 at 16:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
i have gpe sync'ing pretty well now with kontact; does the gene cash pim suite sync?

Originally Posted by angelb View Post
It depends on what you want, for some of us GPE is the cal to use thanks to GPE Summary. But Gene Cash's apps seem much more friendly and good-looking. If they could also make use of something like GPE Summary for it I would change immediately, honestly.

There are some other PIM applications around but those 2 are the ones I am familiar with.

Regards

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
mind explaining how you did sync with kontact?