Active Topics

Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
People need to realize that the NITs are designed as a Web Browsing Mini Computer, the fact that we can get them to run a thousand other things is great but Nokia designed them to browse the web not replace a Palm for PIM and not to replace a full size computer.
Exactly. 100% agreement.

All of Nokia's advertisements and hype for the tablets showed them as devices that allow you to access internet services, rather than offline devices. Even the name "Internet Tablet" tells you about this.

The whole tablet interface is oriented around this too, with the web bookmarks getting their own icon, email and IM contacts getting their own icon, and offline applications all pushed into a third icon. The default desktop applets (RSS, internet radio etc) are mostly for internet services too.

If you buy a product, look at how the manufacturer describes it and use that as the base line for your expectations. Nokia never described the tablets as computer replacements, they just said they are useful gadgets for accessing the internet on the move, which they are.

You shouldn't buy a motorbike and then complain because it doesn't have a roof.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-06-10 at 12:27.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 274 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Romania
and you are not talking with overzealous geeks here ...

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
geeks who you calling a geek? Ohh just about all of us thats right.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
remember these and any other devices are ancillary to your pc/mac...whether you run linux or not..heck i use mine whene im not in my office...i dont feel geeky enough to actually attempt 50% of the tricks ive seen on this site...but i use mine alot...

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
Can we complain if we buy a motorbike and it's not a very good one? Because much as I love my tablet it's not really very good at web browsing.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I love how one person declares a product to be useless and expects the world to automatically agree with him.

Originally Posted by Tuxedosteve View Post
Can we complain if we buy a motorbike and it's not a very good one? Because much as I love my tablet it's not really very good at web browsing.
That's funny, because mine is.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Well that's different, if it doesn't do the web well enough then that's fair criticism because the web is its primary purpose. That's also constructive criticism because it helps make any future tablets serve their purpose better.

My rant was only directed at people who complain that the tablet isn't an adequate PDA or laptop.

But I personally think the N8X0 tablets do a great job browsing most of the sites I go to, certainly far far better than any other pocket-sized device. Maybe you go to sites where it doesn't do so well?

Last edited by krisse; 2008-06-10 at 13:11.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The iPhone is not very good at web browsing too... Still seems the people are loving it :P

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
If you buy a product, look at how the manufacturer describes it and use that as the base line for your expectations. Nokia never described the tablets as computer replacements, they just said they are useful gadgets for accessing the internet on the move, which they are.

Sadly it feels more like a push bike with a slipping gear chain rather than a motor-bike without a roof.

I would really like to see Nokia focus on improving the browser experience and an environment for running webapps. I wish that Nokia would really make this a browser-centric device.

I was disappointed to learn that Diablo will not make use of the latest version of Gecko so we are going to be stuck with a slow renderer and slow javascript for a while longer. I still live in hope for future improvements.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's funny, because mine is.
It's a subjective thing as well you know. I find surfing on my N810 sometimes a chore due to the speed, lack of memory and the rather basic and unfriendly UI.

I wouldn't buy an iPhone (I'd rather have the higher rez of my NIT than the low rez but better UI of the iPhone) but I think Nokia needs to take a long and hard look at what's happening over there or they may find their market vanishing.

Please don't get all defensive because I criticised the NIT. As I said I love mine. I use it almost every day and it has been very useful indeed but it's certainly not even close to perfect as a web access device and that is it's primary purpose.

Isn't it pointless and counterproductive to try and turn the conversation into a Monty Python argument sketch? I thought the community was better than this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tuxedosteve For This Useful Post: