Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
I mean, what do I do if I'm out in coffee shop and I experience the same thing? --- I just can't ask the owner to upgrade their firmware.
Well so far you haven't said anything about WiFIs other than your own so that line makes no sense at all. Try it out on another WiFI and if it still gives trouble then you have something wrong, probably your own setup but perhaps a hardware problem. The N8 has a good WiFI with few issues. I run 3 WRTs to create a large zone and mine works a treat. so should yours.

Originally Posted by joepagiii View Post
i have a question for you ..have you done any tinkering in the about config page some setting tweaks might be helpful...they did for me i don't remember the thread title...cant hurt to try look for tuning the n810 alpha work...most of those have been helpful...or atleast not detrimental to my n800
I haven't tried this. Will search around the boards to see if I can find, but if you happen to have a direct link, that would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by IcelandDreams View Post
Well so far you haven't said anything about WiFIs other than your own so that line makes no sense at all. Try it out on another WiFI and if it still gives trouble then you have something wrong, probably your own setup but perhaps a hardware problem. The N8 has a good WiFI with few issues. I run 3 WRTs to create a large zone and mine works a treat. so should yours.
yeah, it's pretty wierd. I've been having issues since OS2007, but they were worse back then --- which is why I thought it was software related.

Regarding the router, I believe there were two WRTs where the older version could be updated with homebrew firmware, but you couldn't do the same with the later ones. Just find it odd that other devices work fine, but the tablet hiccups --- that's why I brought up the coffee shop example.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=17666
ive tried most .and they help...i didnt have any router issues so .....ymmv
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18644
might be useful

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Hey guys,

I frequently experience issues trying to connect to web sites on my N800 --- most frequently, the "connecting" status bar will just sway back and forth with no activity. Sometimes, I just click the "full screen" button and then the web site will connect. Other times, efforts are futile.
I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if anyone suggested this. Edit the connection on your tablet, somewhere in advance settings you have an option to save energy (I don't recall what's the name of the option and I'm reflashing my n800 right now) - turn it off.

Originally Posted by ioan View Post
I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if anyone suggested this. Edit the connection on your tablet, somewhere in advance settings you have an option to save energy (I don't recall what's the name of the option and I'm reflashing my n800 right now) - turn it off.
WOW! it looks like thar did the trick. web sites are super responsive now.. will give this a further test run. thank you!!!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
WOW! it looks like thar did the trick. web sites are super responsive now.. will give this a further test run. thank you!!!
So, yes, it's your crappy router.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
So, yes, it's your crappy router.
You're lucky there is no "Digg Down" on this board! j/k :P

In any case, this does present a solution should I be out roaming in the world and come across this issue with a router which I have no control over.

Last edited by hordeman; 2008-06-11 at 17:45.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
The linksys54g(s) should have good support for wireless multimedia/powersaving mode. You should look to upgrading your firmware to the most recent release ( be it official linksys, dd-wrt, or your flavor ). I have run into crappy routers that sucked my battery dry in a matter of 2 hours compared to my usual 8-12 of casual browsing with IM on. Nothing can be done there short of going into offline mode.

The other item that was never mentioned was that adblock can also cause weird slowdowns on some sites. I switched to a hosts file and the floppy moose blocking css file with much better performance. That on top of my tweaks ( already listed ) give a reasonable boost to the stock chinook MicroB ( can't wait for a rebuild from the newer ff3 tree ).

The Following User Says Thank You to brontide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 449 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ eastern north carolina usa
gotta tell ya brontide...all the tweaks you just mentioned...well my n800 loaded gmail faster than my ailing p4 laptop running xubuntu....if you got any updated usser cssfiles please let me know...

The Following User Says Thank You to joepagiii For This Useful Post: