Active Topics

Originally Posted by lny98 View Post
If those are the worst things you can come up with, than Apple is doing a great job. As far as the syncing issues, syncing is HARD, and nobody (including Palm & Blackberry) gets it perfect.
Yeah but your locked in to their styncing software, I've used mp3 players that allow you to just drag and drop your files over and you don't have to worry about things being deleted. The N810 is the same way.

That's why I say the worst thing about the iPhone is Itunes, and it sucks as far as software goes, I'd rather just drag and drop then use it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
Apple is really blowing away the competition. Nokia cannot compete, at least with their ITOS brand of product.
Of course not because THERE'S NO PHONE INSIDE.

Good thing you added the qualifier, though-- you almost had me worried enough to start applying for another job...

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by birneyw View Post
I say yes and no to this. Apple is blowing away the competition for the people that like to point at something and have it work but then its canned... no changes until apple or the developers change it. Apple is probably blowing away the windows smart phones with the iphone, however, the it, is a device that is a true moble computer not just a precan device with certain apps. If you dont like something on the it, then put on your hacking/programming hat and fix it. They are 2 different beast that overlap in certain areas. kind of compairing a pickup to a car... yes they both move, take gas excetera, but the pickup can carry more, the car is more comfortable.
Yes, Apple locks their products and has some money grubbing draconian policies (non-removable battery), but the 3rd party Apple support/developers really make up for this. They will change your battery for you for a smaller fee, and develop apps that will put Mameo's catalog to shame. Yes, Apple does restrict what apps can and cannot be sold through their exclusive site but what is the alternative?

Maemo developers are limited as well. They cannot access the entire OS, especially critical parts. In addition many people developing for the tablets do not have as much programming time or experience to make the kind of programs you will see coming out on the 3g iphone. Plus there are teams of developers and companies/corporations that will be putting out real quality programs. I love Maemo developers and everything they have done, but they simply can't put out the caliber of programs you will see on the Apple restricted iphone. For God's sake, I would pay for a good PIM!

In addition to the above, the iphone will be much cheaper than the tablets, or any other competitor on the market. Being tied to AT&T sucks, but there are workarounds. I am willing to bet that iphone users who want to get the most out of their device have to do less hacking than N8x0 and 770 users have to.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It still blows my mind how much more responsive and faster the iphone OS is than Maemo. Is the hardware in the iphone really that superior to the tablets, or is it just better programming? I would also like to see how long it takes the iphone GPS to get a fix from a cold start. Anyone willing to bet it will be shorter than the N810's time? I'd put money on that.

I think it all comes down to superior software and hardware, and Apple will nail them both.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
stronger hardware, and more stripped software...

and sometimes i wonder if not the third party appeal of apple products is because of their locked down nature. it gives the rest a bit of robin hood feeling when they correct what big bad apple does "wrong"...

as for programming. thats what you get when you have consumer gadget nr 1 for the whole of usa, and much of the world. people will bend over backwards to get their app/service/ad on the device...

its like a snowball down the hill effect...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
It still blows my mind how much more responsive and faster the iphone OS is than Maemo. Is the hardware in the iphone really that superior to the tablets, or is it just better programming?
It's interesting you should try to bring this up, as my experience with the iPhone has always been that it's the same speed or slower than my N800. An interesting comparison: try typing out a reply here on the N810, then try it on the iPhone—I could barely get through it on the iPhone due to interface lag.

The reality is that flashy transitions have a significant effect on people's perceptions, and these perceptions frequently have little to do with reality.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/12/u...569-in-europe/

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
The reality is that flashy transitions have a significant effect on people's perceptions, and these perceptions frequently have little to do with reality.
Yeah, the new HTC Diamond is slow too... But whoa - 3D

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
I would also like to see how long it takes the iphone GPS to get a fix from a cold start. Anyone willing to bet it will be shorter than the N810's time? I'd put money on that.
That is hardly a fair comparison, as the GPS on the N810 is a known bad thing. I have had many GPSs and none have had as bad a cold start as the 810. A man with a map and a compass could get a faster location check!

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by tso View Post
as for programming. thats what you get when you have consumer gadget nr 1 for the whole of usa, and much of the world. people will bend over backwards to get their app/service/ad on the device...
It really isn't that. Writing an iPhone app is trivial compared to writing a maemo app.
Cocoa is a great framework to work with anyway and the tools work with you, rather than against you.
You have to really want to write software for the NITs, as it is so much harder than writing it for the iPhone.

As a result, a lot of people with good ideas would just not get the chance to write for the NITs, even if they really wanted to.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
but you have to get a mac to write on iirc...